Author Topic: A stamp tax to pay for military operations?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
A stamp tax to pay for military operations?
« on: April 22, 2005, 02:09:23 PM »
Don't think it could happen? Well, it already is and, if Bush has his way, that will not be changing.

Currently, due to legislation from a few years ago, the Post Office is responsible for paying military pension benefits of Postal retirees. Both Republicans and Democrats in Congress want to change this back to the way things are for every other government organization, making the Treasury Department responsible for military pension benefits. The Bush Administration is adamantly stating that they do not want this to happen.

If the Bush Administration has its way, the Post Office will have to pay $27 billion in pension benefits related to services that have nothing to do with Postal services. Just imagine the uproar if the Bush Administration said that private businesses had to pay for the military pension benefits of their employees. This is exactly what the Bush Administration is telling the Post Office.

What will be the result of this? Well, we can already expect the price of a stamp to go up 2 cents to 39 cents early next year. If the payment of military pension benefits of Postal employees is not put back to where it belongs, expect the price of a stamp to go up at least another 2 cents, very possibly more, in 2007. Consider this Bush's stamp tax.

Offline Ed 1

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 09:12:57 PM »
Thank goodness for e-mail and fax - skip the Post Office.
Last (first) Marathon Lakefront (2003) in Milwaukee WI 3:35:34, 1/2 mary PB 1:28:17
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Praying for the chance (schedule wise) next year to work for a sub three.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 10:40:55 AM »
Unfortunately, the mailing industry as a whole is an $800 billion a year industry that accounts for over 8 million jobs. If the mailing industry gets hit how it very possibly could if the Bush administration refuses to place this financial responsibility where it belongs, this is something that will have significant repercussions throughout the economy.

Offline Ed 1

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 06:53:59 AM »
Does the post office get any funds from the Federal gov?  

Plus I have a hard time believing that the President can stop what "all" the other legislators want to do.  If a 2/3rds majority wants to make a change they can override a veto.  So instead of blaming the President they should hold a vote and put their money where their mouth is.  Until they put legislation to a vote I refuse to blame the President.  He is not responsible for writting legislation.  So ask your legislators to write new legislation and attempt to pass it.
Last (first) Marathon Lakefront (2003) in Milwaukee WI 3:35:34, 1/2 mary PB 1:28:17
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:01:41 AM »
Quote from: "Ed 1"
Does the post office get any funds from the Federal gov?

No. It's government controlled but not government subsidized. The only federal funds it gets are along the lines of the same federal funds that private corporations get for maintenance of national infrastructure.

Quote from: "Ed 1"
Plus I have a hard time believing that the President can stop what "all" the other legislators want to do.  If a 2/3rds majority wants to make a change they can override a veto.  So instead of blaming the President they should hold a vote and put their money where their mouth is.  Until they put legislation to a vote I refuse to blame the President.  He is not responsible for writting legislation.  So ask your legislators to write new legislation and attempt to pass it.

You are assuming Bush holds no political clout. It has bipartisan support for those who understand the situation, those in the committees studying the situation. For the rest of Republicans, they are taking their cues from the White House instead of from Republicans in the committees where this is coming from. I'm not trying to blame anyone, I'm just stating that the White House is placing a major road block on common sense legislation and that road block, if not overcome, has potentially severe consequences.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 09:22:56 AM »
You should e-mail the Republican legislators from WI and ask them about this issue - If I find some extra time I will.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 12:25:18 PM »
I've already e-mailed all Wisconsin legislators and the White House about this more than once. Unfortunately, it seems like the White House is dead set on saddling the Post Office with this unprecedented liability.

Not logged in Ed

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 12:28:33 PM »
What did the WI legislators say?

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 02:45:48 PM »
The responses I got were receptive. I don't know if that was because they know how important the mailing industry is to Wisconsin in particular, considering some of the state's major industries that would be heavily affected, or just good old political talk of saying what the listener wants to hear. Only their votes will reveal that.

Offline Ed 1

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 07:09:25 AM »
Knowing our luck the votes will be secret or private ballots.  Then we cannot hold any certain persons feet to the fire - so to speak.
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Tags: