Author Topic: 100k World Cup  (Read 6120 times)

Offline Double

100k World Cup
« on: November 18, 2003, 04:58:30 PM »
It was great hanging out w/ all the athletes.  Even Mike Cox was there.  He ran 2:22:04 at Chicago, now that is some wheels.  

Taiwan was pretty interesting and the food was what I expected.  Edible, but I ate just to have calories to burn.

Once there, it became clearly obvious the race would be one of major attrition.  In a nut shell, you run up hill out and downhill back on 4 x 25k out/back.  Oh, and you start at 9 AM when it's already in the 70's and the humidity in the 80's.  Just for fun.

I ran what I thought was conservative for the first 25k in 1:52:30, or just over 7 minutes a mile.  I mean, it's the freakin' World Championships; I had no idea that 8:00 pace would be outstanding.

It boiled down to one thing.  My body could not process enough fluids to keep up with the out flow.  At 35k I knew I was done and went into survivor mode.  I was dehydrated, had a wicked side stitch (has only happened in my 100ks), a headache, and my left foot was slapping.  Then, just for grins, I decided to start heaving to complete the pentathlon of ultra misfortunes.

I walked and struggled through the 50k at around 4:22 and for the first time considered dropping.  First, I would venture out and see if a rally was possible.  After practically walking for 2 miles, I started to run and it seemed less painful than walking.  It was here that I knew I would finish the race.

By the last 25k there were only 3 US men left standing.  I caught Bob Sweeney at about 77k and we both decided we would finish.  We ran together off and on as we each dealt with out seperate demons.  By 94k, Bob said his stomach was completely shot and he was walking it in.  I finished in 10:24:33 and in 94th place overall.  For whatever reason my name doesn't appear in the IAU results, but that's their problem and not mine.

I was determined to finish for several reasons:

1. I'm not flying to Taiwan on the USA team and getting a DNF by my name.

2. I made sure to tell several people before the race they would have to close the road for me to not finish.  I had to back that smack up and it wasn't easy.

3. I'm a Badgerland Strider.  There were 3 of us there and we kept each other going.

4. In total, it never got as bad as the end of the Kettle Moraine 100 miler in June.  I had done it before so I couldn't sell myself out.

5. Chick's dig me.

The women kicked butt.  What a classy group.  Everyone out there from the US just provided tremendous support and encouragement.  It would take a lot of time to go through the specific examples, but these people, including the other runners were genuinely concerned and it showed.  Personally, Donna (my wife) was great as crew and Ann Heaslett and Roy Pirrung are perhaps two of the best ambassadors the State of Wisconsin has known.  I am honored to call them friends and teammates.

Several long timers to the event called it the most difficult 100k World Cup ever.  I think the 60% drop out rate might back that up.  I always said the harder the better, but I am currently reevaluating my stance on this position.

Gotta go,
Double
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
100k World Cup
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 06:50:03 PM »
Double, sounds like quite the experience. It sounds like this was an amazingly difficult race. As usual, you gutted it out with the best performance one could hope for in those conditions. Way to overcome the conditions and make the best of a very tough situation.

Offline Zeke

Re: 100k World Cup
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 08:37:46 PM »
Double,

Here are the things that jumped out at me...

...it became clearly obvious the race would be one of major attrition.

Uht oh.

...it's the freakin' World Championships

Enough said.

At 35k I knew I was done and went into survivor mode.

Damn, you still have 65k to go, that's mind-boggling.

...for the first time considered dropping.  First, I would venture out and see if a rally was possible.

This is why I admire you so much.  

After practically walking for 2 miles, I started to run and it seemed less painful than walking. It was here that I knew I would finish the race.

Again with the admiration.  You're 33 miles into a 62 mile race that's gone to hell and you knew you'd finish.

...there were only 3 US men left standing.

Again, enough said.

Several long timers to the event called it the most difficult 100k World Cup ever.

That sums it up nicely along with a 60% drop out rate.  Heck, Ironman Wisconsin had the highest drop out rate and that was only 15%.

We're very proud of you.  I couldn't think of a better guy to represent the U.S.
"It doesn't get easier.  You just go faster." - Greg LeMond

Zeke

http://cnaustin.blogspot.com/

Offline Woody

Guts & Glory
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 09:10:31 AM »
Double, I have to say nothing you do surprises me anymore I start to expect the unexpectable.   Your persistence and determination is out of this world.  

You can be wing man in any Hockey game I've ever played!

Good old time hockey

Ted Lindsey
There is no gene like the human spirit!

tom-o

100k World Cup
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 10:36:57 AM »
You are one serious badass.  Way to lay it all on the line.  The make 'em tough out here in Western PA.  Great job!!!

Offline Laura Clark-Taylor

Dave Dehart going to the Worlds USATF 100K in Taiwan
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 02:46:05 PM »
I am so proud of everyone who went to challenge the World and over came the most gruesome of elements.
My eyes leak just thinking about what you all must have gone through.
Some how it makes the intense pain I feel in my f#$%ed up shoulder not so bad.
Laura
LLL  "Run 'til it feels GOOD"

Offline magpie

100k World Cup
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 07:23:06 PM »
big ups, dubble-dee.  i was in a similar predicament in february, a truly awful and defeated feeling.  so did you get to meet the illustrious mplatt in chi-town?

Offline Double

Platter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 08:59:02 PM »
I didn't get to see Platt.  Woody was determined to line up w/ the 3 hour group (which we all know is really the 3:20 group) which prevented us getting anywhere near his mug.  I would have liked to have met him.
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline pski

Double
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 07:53:16 AM »
Dave is a certified freak of nature!   Awesome.  I think he'll be back on this team again, and then the World had better take notice.  Zeke is right on, how does one continue knowing at 35 k, the race aspect is over, with 65 k to go.  The ultimate in I have no idea what that's like and can't imagine what I'd do in that place, but it's pretty safe to say I would have checked my chips at the door.  Dave, I'm really itching to do the 50 miler again.  I even broke the news to the Mrs.!!   I told her it is great prep work for NYC.                                   PSKI
pski

Tags: