Author Topic: Jason - UWRF  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Jason - UWRF
« on: November 19, 2003, 08:39:27 AM »
Jason, I was just thinking of the guys over at UWRF. If I remember correctly, and based on what you list as your location I'm guessing I am, you're going to school there, right? Are you running for the team over there? I was just wondering, it seems like I remember hearing that they reinstated men's track there. Is this the case? I'd love to hear that they did but I'm not sure if what I heard was just a rumor.

Offline Jason

Jason - UWRF
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 09:14:18 AM »
HI, Ryan I am running here at UWRF.  I just got done with my first year.  It went alright but was a tough transition.  My times were right around 30 min.  It was hard because I felt I was in alot better shape but couldn't put it together during races.  But I realize alot if freshmen experience this there first year.
 They did reinstate mens track here last year.  It sounds like it is hear to stay for awhile.  Last year the team saw pretty small as you could expect. I think things will improve quite a bit in the next few years.  We had 14 freshmen on the cross country team this year.
Listen to what everybody has to say, but don't hear what everyone has to say.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Jason - UWRF
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 09:34:57 AM »
Jason, freshman year is tough for almost everyone. I actually survived c-c season and most of indoor track fine but things really started dragging by outdoor track. It's just something that you're not used to. It is a great learning experience, though, and you'll come back stronger and with more experience next year.

I think it's great that they reinstated men's track. After being part of the trend, they really went against the grain by doing that. I'm sure there will be some tough years until you get some guys with experience but I think it's great to see the UWRF team back and the WIAC men's track meet back to full strength with all schools represented. I'm sure this will also greatly help the c-c team there. It was tough to recruit runners when they could only offer one season, while all the other schools are offering three seasons.

Maybe your program can bring hope to athletes at other schools where the men's track programs have been or are being cut.

Offline Jason

Jason - UWRF
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 09:15:09 PM »
It was easy to see that alot of freshmen struggle.  Alot of them on the team really started to fade toward the end of the year. I think we only had one that improved at the end of the season.  My conclusion was that it was partially the length of the season and partially the intensity of the workouts day after day.
Listen to what everybody has to say, but don't hear what everyone has to say.

Tags: