HillRunner.com Forums > Non-Running Forum

Advertising posts on the Hillrunner.com Forums

(1/1)

Ryan:
What is an advertising post?

An advertising post is any post that, to the average reader, appears to be posted with a primary intent of directing traffic to a website other than Hillrunner.com. Typically, an advertising post has little to do with the topic it was posted within or it is posted as a new topic with little to no apparent interest in adding to the discussion at Hillrunner.com.

Some people think advertising posts must link only to commercial websites that are selling goods or services. This is not the case. Even if the link is to your personal blog, it is still advertising if a primary intent is to drive traffic to your website.

What is not an advertising post?

Some links to sites other than Hillrunner.com are welcome and encouraged. If you have found a page on another website that pertains to a discussion on the Hillrunner.com Forums, please share it. It can help further the discussion. If you have found a page on another website that you think would be an interesting topic for discussion, go ahead and link to it but also start the discussion. Share your thoughts. Show that you are more interested in discussing the topic at hand than promoting the website at the other end of the link.

The individual who makes the post also matters. If a respected, frequent contributing member posts a link to an article with the clear intent to create some discussion, this is far different than a just registered member posting a link to "my blog".

Why are advertising posts not welcome on the Hillrunner.com Forums?

Everyone who has a website wants to promote their site. Hillrunner.com offers ways for you to promote your site (see below). Advertising posts clutter the forums, making it harder for members to find the topics they are actually interested in, and take advantage of Hillrunner.com. Hillrunner.com is primarily an ad-supported website. By making advertising posts, you are stealing from the paying advertisers, from Hillrunner.com, and from the people who benefit from the ad-supported services offered at Hillrunner.com.

How do I promote my website on Hillrunner.com?

There are a few ways to promote your website at Hillrunner.com.

First, you can pay for an ad. Several options are available. Contact me for more information.

Second, you can request to add a link to your website on the links page. This service is free but only available to sites that have not at least recently made advertising posts on the forums. Contact me for information.

Third, if you are trying to promote a running-related event, you can add your event to the calendar. Check the "Calendar" link on the left side of any page on Hillrunner.com and you should quickly see how to add your event. If you have any trouble, let me know and I can help you.

What is your policy on signatures?

Because so many newly registered members take advantage of forums, you have to prove yourself before you can create a signature within your forum profile. I wish it didn't have to be this way but we can thank those who take advantage of forums for that. Once you have made 5 posts, you can edit your profile and create a signature.

If you try to circumvent this policy by manually adding a "signature" to your post before you have the ability to add a signature to your profile, your post may be handled as an advertising post.

How are advertising posts handled on the Hillrunner.com Forums?

Advertising posts will be promptly removed by a moderator. Upon review of the post, the following ban procedure may be implemented:

First violation: 30 day ban from posting on the forums.
Second violation: 90 day ban from posting on the forums.
Third violation: Permanent ban.

What about private messages?

Because private messaging advertising is a greater violation of the trust of forum members, it is dealt with more strictly. The following ban procedure will be implemented:

First violation: 90 day ban from posting on the forums.
Second violation: Permanent ban.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version