Author Topic: Cal trying to get Schumacher away from Wisconsin?  (Read 598 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Cal trying to get Schumacher away from Wisconsin?
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »
It's possible the University of Wisconsin could lose two of its elite coaches and, coincidentally, the two men could wind up having the same new address.

Eric Hansen, the UW men's and women's swimming coach since 1999, and Jerry Schumacher, the men's cross country coach since 1998, have been approached for openings at California.
Schumacher, 36, is a respected distance guru who has led the Badgers to top-two finishes in the NCAA meet five consecutive years, including a national title in 2005. He's a candidate to replace Chris Huffin as director of the men's and women's track and cross country programs at Cal.

As for whether or not we can expect to hear of the Wisconsin coaching position opening up, Schumacher's statements seem to suggest no.

Schumacher, meanwhile, also confirmed contact from another school, but he declined to identify it.

"There isn't much for me to say," he said. "I told them I would call them back next week."

In addition to coaching UW distance runners, Schumacher is tutoring some of the top U.S. hopes for the 2008 Summer Olympics, including former Badgers Chris Solinsky and Matt Tegenkamp.

"I'm not looking to go anywhere," Schumacher said.

Wisconsin State Journal article
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 05:05:11 PM by Ryan »

Tags: