Author Topic: A team for Al's  (Read 6612 times)

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
A team for Al's
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »
I know it is early but are we looking at fielding a team for Briggs ansd Al's?
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: A team for Al's
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:21:42 PM »
You bet we're looking at fielding a team for Al's Run. Actually, look for information and an important question on the direction of the team (note: the team will not go away - I'll always do all I can to field a team for Al's Run, Hillrunner.com's hometown race) soon. If you're on the Team Hillrunner.com e-mail list, before the end of this weekend. If you're not, probably on here by late next week.

Offline Ed

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
Do you think a 10K training schedule woudl work well for the 8K?

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »
I wouldn't see why not. To me, the determining factor would be the quality of the schedule.

Offline Ed

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »
Of course -

I had a question regarding a schedule. 

1,200 PI
2x800 PI
4x200 PI
4x200 SI
4 Strides

What type of recovery should there be inbetween each of these?

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:54:09 PM »
What do PI and SI mean in this? My best guess without knowing that would be recoveries roughly equal to the time it took to complete the repeats for the 1200 and 800s, 1-2 minutes for the 200s, similar for the strides.

Offline Ed

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:17:33 AM »
PI is Pace Interval and SI is Speed Interval.

Pace Intervals are at the goal pace and speed intervals are 30 seconds per minute faster than the goal pace. 

What you are saying sounds good - I will adjust of course after trying a couple of these to try and best maximize the benefits of the training.

As always the most important part of any plan is to be consistent. 

Better Every Day!

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:43:26 AM »
For goal pace, I'd go for recoveries of 1/2 to 1 times the duration of the hard portion. For 30 seconds per mile (I'm assuming) faster, I'd probably go 1 to 2 times the duration. Of course, that all depends on how quickly you recover. More or less could be necessary depending on fitness level.

Consistency is always the most important factor.

BTW: Core Team Hillrunner.com members should have received an e-mail yesterday evening. If somebody who thinks they should have didn't, let me know through e-mail or PM what your address is and I'll get you added to the Team Hillrunner.com distribution list.

Offline Ed

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 01:14:04 PM »
I have been looking for results from last year's Al's run in the team divisions and cannot seem to find them.  I was just curious - what types of times it will take to win our group division.  I am pretty suer that I will not be able to score for us - but hey - I am still curious.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
Wow, I don't like the new design of the website. I can't find any results, not even past champions, on there.

All I can say for sure is that our 5th runner has typically been very close to 30 flat, sometimes a bit faster, sometimes a bit slower. Every year, I say we're going to improve on that depth. Every year, we end up right about in the same range for our 5th runner so I'm not going to bother saying anything about it this year.

To win the division, it usually takes a cumulative time in the 2:20-2:25 range or an average of 28-29 minutes per runner for the top 5 runners. If we can get 5 runners under 30 minutes, we'll be in the hunt and the determining factor will be how far under 30 each of those runners is.

Don't forget, though, the team is more than the first 5 runners across the finish line. We need people backing up our top 5 in case someone has a bad day, we want people out there sharing the experience and motivating us all to push for the best performance we can put forth. Even if you think breaking 30 minutes is out of the question, you're still wanted on the team.

Offline Double

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 07:47:53 PM »
Ryan, thanks again for having the team.  I always enjoy Al's and if I had to walk it as part of the team I know I'm welcome.  It's one of those things that are a tradition.  Coming back after three months had been harder than I thought, but I ventured out today solely based on Al's coming up in September. 
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:43:29 AM »
Double, it's good to hear you're on the road back. Yes, Al's Run is a special event for I believe most Team Hillrunner.com regulars, whether running 27 minutes or 47 minutes. I'm never going to let the team die though, as you are aware, I'm always looking for the best way to evolve and increase our competitive chances. More important than our competitive chances, though, is that we are all, regardless of ability and current fitness level, able to get together as a team once a year in September.

Offline Ed

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 09:10:38 AM »
Once we field a team can we put together a meal out together as well - like a couple of years back at the Madtown Jingle Bell - that was great!

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »
We can discuss it. It seems to fall through mostly because people have too many things going on that weekend already. Now that I have a patio and a grill, maybe I could offer to host a get together at my place like we have done in the past at Pski's or Kooch's. Whoever shows up can show up and, if nobody does, then I just have a BBQ with the family in the back yard.

Offline Ed

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »
I was looking at the elevation chart for Al's and I do not remember it having a steep downhill at mile 1.  I do remeber that mile 1-2 is pretty much all uphill.  I also remember a steep downhill right around mile 3.

Is my memory fairly accurate?  (I plan on some specific hill training for Al's)

Offline tgrunner

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »
Als run has a couple of moderate hills. It starts at Marquette University and runs down hill for about a half mile and then starts up hill through about mile 1.5. Then you turn and head down prospect ave through until nearly mile 3 - prospect is rolling hills, but nothing of real significance. When you turn and head back south, you go down a steep hill, layfayette hill, which dumps you onto lincoln memorial....from there you essentially sail to the third ward and the finish at the summer fest grounds. The last two miles are very fast as all it is completely flat. I always negative split this race.

I live downtown and it really is more hilly than people give it credit for, however, my take is that if you train in wisconsin, you will be more than prepared for the course as it is reflective of the rolling hills we have here in the midwest.

Offline Ed

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 12:23:25 PM »
That was my recollection of the course are you joining up with Team Hillrunner?

I found a race near me (Grafton) a 5K on August 26th great timing before Al's. 

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »
Gradual downhill toward the river in mile 1, followed by a gradual uphill up from the river. Screaming downhill as you head down the bluff toward the lakefront just before the 3 mile mark. From then on in, it's basically flat.

By the way, the team registration information will be coming relatively soon. We have some changes in how things will be handled (all for the positive as far as I'm concerned) but everyone who is a member of the Hillrunner.com community is still welcomed and encouraged to join us. Stay tuned, updates and registration information likely to come around the first weekend of August.

Offline tgrunner

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 02:34:21 PM »
I'd be fun to meet up with some of you as a hillrunner team for Al's. As of yet, haven't decided if I will do it this year or not.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
I see I missed tgrunner's description of the course before I posted my description. I have to give him the nod, much more detailed and complete description than my vague offering.

Tags: