Author Topic: treadmill running  (Read 8752 times)

Offline alexb89xc

treadmill running
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:02:23 PM »
I am sure this has been discussed in the past, but I am new to the site. I am training for my second 1/2 marathon. the first one I trained for outside and lost a bunch of weight but for this one I have been training on the treadmill, and have noticed that I have lost a significantly smaller amt. of weight while training for this one (I gained some after my first : / )  and this is going to sound strange but one ankle has become leaner than the other, its not extremly noticable except to me, is the treadmill a lesser impact and easier run? and also how do I even out my running? Should I be training outside? yes I am going to whine about the heat bc that is the reason I have been training on a treadmill...I HATE it. : /

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: treadmill running
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »
Normally, I would say running is running and running on the treadmill, if at all different, will burn such a similar number of calories to running outside it's not worth worrying about. However, your question reminded me of a topic I saw on another website recently. I can't get to that website right now so I can't offer a link (I'll see about offering the link later) but the message was that running on a treadmill does burn fewer calories than running outside.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by how should you even out your running or what to make of your ankle size discrepancy. I guess on the latter, if nothing is hurting and it doesn't get too extreme, I wouldn't worry about it.

Should you be running outside? The half marathon is going to be outside. Yes, it will probably be in cooler weather (I'm assuming it's a fall marathon) but, as we got reminded last year with the Chicago, Lakefront, and Twin Cities marathons, you never know when the heat will show up in October. Also, running on the treadmill is different than running on the road. The mechanics are just a bit different for most people and the surface is definitely different. I'd recommend at least some road running so you are prepared both for the weather and the surface you will be running on.

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Sisu Running
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »
If you care about your performance then quit whining and go run outside. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:23:07 PM by GTF »
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Offline alexb89xc

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:09:36 PM »
geez I was just hoping someone could give me some information on the difference in treadmill and outdoor training. my b if you thought I was whining...  :o

Offline Nephra

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 08:53:04 AM »
There is a difference between running outside and running on a treadmill.  Running on a treadmill has less impact on your joints than running outside does, and I would suggest that you run outside for some of your training- like your long runs- so that your body is prepared to handle the impact of running on race day.  Most races are run on the road which has significantly more impact than a treadmill. 

You will usually burn more calories when you train outside because your body has to adapt to its environment when running.  For example, there are no slippery grass spots, pot holes, cars, hills, dips, or loose gravel on a treadmill.  Constantly adjusting to these factors keeps you alert and burns more calories.

The other issue of running on a treadmill is whether it is calibrated or not.  Over time, treadmills do get off so it might say you ran 8 miles when in fact you only ran 7.75.  This is something to be aware of, especially if using a treadmill in a gym.

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
    • Sisu Running
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »
You stated yourself that you were whining.  Anyway, if calories are that much of a concern then simply consume fewer of them.  Training is about preparing to handle the stresses of racing and to that end the more specificity there is in training with respect to those stresses the better.  To put it simply, if the race will be outdoors and on a specific type of surface then it only makes sense to train outdoors on that type of surface.  However, if you do not really care about your performance then what would it matter?  If the plan is to merely run comfortably to finish the distance, then just continue to do the runs where it feels most comfortable.
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Offline WI MTP

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:12:30 AM »
I train where ever I can, preferably outside, but I bet I run at least 1,500 miles a year on TM.

For me there are a few differences:  

1 = Calibration:  The YMCA has I go to has 14 treadmills and from the fastest to slowest calibrated TM I would estimate .8 MPH (A shame at a Y)  so on the slowest TM you could have it set at 7.5 MPH and really be running 7.1 MPH and the fastest set at 7.5 = 7.9 MPH.  It is humorous to me that if there are onlu 3 -4 people running when I show up, they are all on the slow treadmills (I guess a mental boost)

2)  Incline / Wind resistance:  You can calibrate a TM to be between 1.0-1.5% incline when it reads 0%, but most are not.  You likely need to set your TM at 1.5% to make up for the "Belt moving you" and no wind resistance to = running outside.

3)  Complete control:  I like this part - You can trow in a hill anytime you want, I constantly am either making slight changes to elevation and sometimes speed to break up the monotony.

4)  Bathroom close at hand:

I ran a 2 minute marathon PR at Houston 2006 on 2 months straight treadmill training with little to no outside running.  If I had done the exact same training outside, I would have expected better results, but ... I find it easier (weather) to do some workouts on the TM and I likely would not have done them at all outside.

So ...

I agree, the more running outside the better, but you can be successful training on the treadmill.  Use a minimum of 1.5% incline and make sure you use the nice elevation feature to do hill workouts :)

Good luck

Offline WI MTP

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 11:23:25 AM »
PS - I am usure what your goals are, but you will get many comments around here treating you like you are a hard core runner.  I realize some people are in it for the fitness and adventure, sure they want to set and acheive goals, but they want to enjoy the ride and the rest of life also.

Calories?  There are too many factors that can cause this.  Honestly - I think that the more out of shape / poor running or fitness shape you in, the faster you will loose weight.  The 1st time your body was an ineffecient machine.  Training the 1st time you have developed a stronger heart, better blood flow and if it has not been a ton of time, stronger muscles.  This time your body is more effecient at both utilizing the calories that you are consuming and at burning a few less calories to run the same mileage.  But what you eat can also play a small role, even if the calories are the same.

GTF has a lot of great knowledge, but his delivery is like a sledge hammer to the head.

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
    • Sisu Running
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »
No, I really do not -- granted, the first half of that final statement does not come across as at all sincere.  Honest input should not seem "like a sledgehammer to the head" unless one likes to be coddled and has a soft head.  If that is indeed the case (I would have no way of knowing either way) then there are other running forums where honest input is lacking which might be more one's speed (no pun intended).

Offline r-at-work

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:49:24 PM »
okay... outside is better if you have the choice... but there was a good article  (can't find it now, maybe it was Running Times?) interviewing Magdelena Lewy Boulet, second in the women's Olympic marathon trials this year. Since she has a child she often has to do part of her workout during 'nap time'... she used the treadmill to get it done...

as for calories... eat less, run more, increase speed and/or the incline on the treadmill... if it was easy to do this no one would be over weight...it took time to put on that extra weight, it'll take time to get rid of it...

one thing that seemed odd is that you talk about one ankle being "leaner"... I would wonder if this actally meant you had some slight swelling in one ankle, possibly mild soft tissue stress/damage... I had a similar issue with my right knee looking 'bigger'... seemed to be worse after long runs if I spent the rest of the day on my feet (like doing house work or yard work)...on the recommendation of my massage therapist I've started icing it right after my long run and again before I go to bed... my knee never hurt... but the ice seemed to help..
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves..." Sir Roger Bannister

Offline alexb89xc

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 06:02:37 PM »
thanks guys, I went for a run on the beach today (on vacation for the night and forgot running shoes so I went barefoot. ouch.) and it was ALOT harder, of course I know running on the beach is harder, esp. barefoot, than any other ground but I was alot more sore and winded, kinda a reality check because I havent felt like that on a treadmill, even at 8-9 miles. So I will be doing more running outside, again thanks everyone for your feedback!!

Offline WI MTP

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:25:35 PM »
GTF - I have been around enough - that I know that you have good knowledge about training -

I am unsure why you think I was not sincere - I meant every word I said.

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
    • Sisu Running
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 08:27:53 PM »
Nothing personal - I honestly have zero insight into your background or intent and so do not assume anything one way or another - that is just how it came across.

It is interesting, though, how the "hardcore" label is viewed in differing settings.

Offline WI MTP

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 12:58:41 PM »
You asked so here it is:

I really do respect your input and knowledge - I think we rub each other the wrong way from time to time - I am sure neither of us lose any sleep over it - Although you do get me worked up (Blood pressure) at times.  I get the impression you might thrive on confrontation?

Background:  I am a fat boy (210#) who started running 5 years ago when 6'2 300+ to be less fat.  I have no running background before that.  But I never can seem to de-fat beyond 200-205.  I should weigh 170 or under - So to chase that weight and try to get faster I run a lot.

2004 3558 Miles in a year
2005 4907
2006 4754
2007 3974 (Injured 9/1-End of year) 

I love to learn and understand training methods and the science behind them.  But I do realize we all run with different goals in mind.  I respect the 3 times a week runner that is trying to improve as much as they can within the limits they set for themself as much as the 7x a week elite - But just in different ways.  Someone who is just starting out needs more help and understanding than one with years of experience.

As far as PRs - I am mediocre compared to my effort level and I am tired of being "Good for a Clydesdale"
10k 35:46
Marathon 2:45:58
50 mile 7:36
24 hour 123.57

Most my goals for the next year are for 50 mile - 24 hour races

cheers

Offline XCkyle93

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 10:31:15 PM »
Your times are quite good...though I am more of a shorter distance runner (10 k feels like a very long race for me), I am as skinny as a stick and probably couldn't crank out a 35 minute 10k, I've only ran a 10k or two but I didn't even break 40!

Tags: