Author Topic: Broadway Brett  (Read 11180 times)

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Sisu Running
Broadway Brett
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:11:46 PM »
I have some sense of the sentiments on the ground in the Packers' fanbase via callers to a national sports talk radio show I listen to, but what is the feeling among friends and family with those of you in Cheesehead Nation? 
I am neither a Packers fan nor a Favre fan (not really into pro sports at all) so I consider myself to be pretty neutral on this.  My own sense is that somewhere along the line Favre became something of an attention-whore prima donna and basically has jerked around with the Packers and taken advantage of his legacy regarding his desire to play.  Though the Packers' front office might have handled it better, they had finally had enough of him (and I could not blame them) with his retirement in March, attempted unretirement in April, resumed retirement in April, and then another attempted unretirement in June, basically on the eve of training camp after they had already spent a couple of draft picks on quarterbacks.  Favre was way too focused on what he wanted and not what was best for the Packers.
As noted, I really do not follow pro football much and would not otherwise have made a point to watch games involving the Packers, the Jets, or Favre.  However, I will be interested to see the Jets' games in weeks 2 and 3 to see if Favre gets what is coming to him when they go up against the Patriots and then the Chargers.
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Broadway Brett
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:54:29 PM »
I see nobody is biting so I will.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around in this one.

For Brett to say he had no choice to retire, I don't buy it. Had he forced the team's hand, what would they have done? Once he did retire, the team created a playbook around the ability of a different player. Brett can't expect to just walk back in after being away for some crucial time and be given his job.

As for the team, they could have been more supportive of him but this is a team, they can't be expected to bend over backwards for one person. They could have welcomed him back right away and offered him the ability to compete for the job, a competition I'm quite sure he would have won.

Whatever anyone thinks, though, it's over. As both a Packer fan, I hope and believe that the team will continue to succeed. This is not a team that was built around one man and not a team that was succeeding because of one man. As a Favre fan, I wish him the best in New York but it sure will be strange to be seeing him wearing the Jets uniform.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:37:06 PM »
We have been spoiled by having one quarterback every single game for 16 years.  His attitude appeared to change and decline over the last four years.  I do commend him on his decision to want to be 100% mentally ready to play - I just wish he knew that he was prior to calling it quits. 

I do wish him well - he has entertained me for a very long time - as long as we win if we meet in the Superbowl. 
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
    • Sisu Running
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
Thing is, I think the Packers had been more than fair with Favre when he approached them about coming back in April.  When he snubbed them soon after, all bets were off.  He let the staff prepare the next starting quarterback and the offensive unit and go through the draft thinking that they needed to use draft picks to address the issue that Favre, based on his actions, would not be taking the field again.  He put them in that position and then when he wanted back in again in June he was petulant rather than contrite about the fallout of his actions. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:43:27 AM by GTF »
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »
I would agree. He took them for a ride and expected to get his way all the way. No one person is bigger than the team. I'm sure the team could have done some things better but he's not without responsibility in the matter.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 06:25:09 PM »
So now that he will be donning the purple what do you think?  I can understand wanting to continue doing what you love, but just the way he has gone about it seems pretty questionable, to say the least.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 07:43:03 PM »
I re-read your post that began this thread and I'm seeing what you brought up there. He thinks he's bigger than the game and I think he's addicted to both the game and the attention. He can't leave, even if he knows he should.

I wonder how this is going to affect the team over in Minnesota. I'm not saying this just as a Packers fan, hoping the purple guys to the west self destruct but seriously as a neutral observer. The team was coalescing around Rosenfels, he played very good in their first pre-season game, then they essentially unceremoniously dump him. Now, I hear talk that they might even trade him. There's a way to show your players how much loyalty you have toward them and to get them to commit to the team.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 07:04:50 AM »
I believe that it has been personal for Bret to "get back" at the Packers organization regardless of how he alienated his fans.  He couldn't do it last year - thePackers organization made sure of that.  But one year later he is exactly where he wanted to be - on the currently biggest rival and threat to the Packers' season. 

Plus he can be indoors when it gets cold outside - he cannot handle the cold anymore.

For the fans that stood by him, always wished him well hoped he made it through rehab and maintained sobriety and felt for him with his father's death, wife's cancer and very close brother-in-laws' death - to be what to many of us feels like a slap in the face - really sucks. 

I know we shouldn't get so attached to a person we do not truly know - but a person supports a pro sprorts team to "sort of" experience atheltic success and failure and be a "part of" something bigger than oursleves and Bret was a major part of some huge success.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
Contrast this with the story of one of Favre's peers who retired today, Kurt Warner.  Favre certainly has had a stellar career and has accomplished great things and has meant a lot to the people of Wisconsin and to the NFL.  As high as he rates, in my eyes someone like Warner, as a player and a man, rates even higher.  Granted, as we found out with Favre, none of us can really know any of these guys based on their public personae/image, but to me it seems that of any of them Warner really is one of the good guys.  Has always competed with class, no questions about his work ethic and desire to win, has always conducted himself with class off the field, does good work in the community that gets no media attention, etc.  All that on top of being a great underdog story, as tenacious as any, with his background of stocking grocery stores after college, playing in the arena league, getting to start for the Rams only after Trent Green went down with a preseason injury, etc.  He could likely gain public office someday, if he wanted to.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
I don't know about no press for Warner but, otherwise, I agree. Also, he was able to make the decision that was best for himself and his family and I highly doubt he will get "the itch" and decide to change his mind. He never left a team in limbo, unsure if they should prepare for a season with him or for a future without him. He never tried to get a team to take him on after already preparing for the upcoming season without him.

I saw some article this week that said Childress should tell Brett just stay away for as long as you want and show up before the third preseason game. The team chemistry issues I was expecting didn't appear this year, probably in large part because - until Sunday - he didn't make the big game deciding mistake that Packer fans have come to expect of him. Maybe the Pittsburgh game but that seemed pretty unimportant. Can they pull it off another year if he comes back?

It's interesting to see my manager, a Vikings fan, go through the roller coaster with Brett. Back when he was with the Packers, he was old and washed up, he should have retired a couple of years ago. This season, he was the greatest player in the league, the Packers were fools for giving him up, he's going to lead the Vikings to the promise land. Monday, dump him, I don't want him to come back, even Tavaris Jackson got the Vikings to within one game of where Brett got them. Vikings fans are kind of funny that way. ;)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 06:38:47 PM »
I mean little press at all (compared to so many diva athletes) for much of his community work, which I only found out about from a radio commentator today. 

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 01:31:29 PM »
So he is at it again.  Just when everyone presumed that he would be coming back to the Vikings, he leaks retirement news and then denies it.  In other words, people were not paying attention to his status for the upcoming season, so he had to orchestrate some some back-channel stuff (via unwitting teammate(s)) to get people talking about him again.  The guy is just bizarre, and only in a sad way.  It is becoming abundantly clear that he will never be happy to just retire and quietly while away the rest of his days riding a tractor and shooting at armadillos on his spread down in Mississippi.  If he is not getting positive attention for the things he does and says then he will take negative attention for the things he does and says.  An interesting recent (to me) criticism is why do people like Terrell Owens get criticized for their actions and the ensuing fallout while Farve is given a free pass?  To many, they are the same type of person.

A podcast with some interesting takes:
http://bit.ly/9E4QqK
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:33:42 PM by Andrew A. »

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »
It's getting to the point that I just find it funny. I don't see what he's doing as comparable to Owens to be honest. Owens was publicly belittling his teammates. Favre never went out and said his teammates couldn't handle the pressure of the game or weren't good enough. In recent years especially, he has displayed a "me first" attitude but I can't remember him ever being anything but supportive of his teammates at least publicly. Obviously, while in Green Bay, his support of the team's management was a different story but that wasn't his teammates.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »
He belittles them implicitly by skipping training camp and OTAs, he makes it clear that considers himself above what his teammates all have to go through.  That may be true, but then it is also likely true for Peyton Manning, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Adrian Peterson, Tom Brady, Chris Johnson, etc., yet they show up and do it because that is what team is about.  Granted, he got them within a completion of the Super Bowl last season doing the same thing and nobody can say that he would have done better with extra preseason work with his receivers, O-line, and the offensive scheme -- he was undone by a poor decision more than anything else.  Yet winning can cover up a whole lot of issues, so there may have been more to it than anyone outside that locker room sees -- in team sports, wanting to win for each other can be a lot more powerful than wanting personal glory or wanting to win for someone who is known to lust after personal glory.  Also, what anyone and everyone says publicly is likely not reflective of the exact reality -- there is a public face to a team and then there is the real breakdown of teammate relationships and bonds.  How would you feel if you and 10 other guys were out there busting butt in workouts though all of August and then on September 1st the team's star runner shows up and leads the team?  Sure, everyone may be glad to have his talents at the team's disposal to help in races yet there is likely to be at least a little lingering resentment among some and as a result they may not want to keep busting butt through October if it becomes clear that the team's chances of advancing in the post-season are not great while the star is clearly going to advance as an individual.  That is a sure way to poison team spirit to some degree, having different rules for different athletes, special rules for stars.  Meanwhile, someone like Kobe Bryant is known for doing all he can to prepare himself to be ready for the NBA season, he leads by example.  People will have a tough time following you if you are not prepared to roll up your sleeves and show your own full commitment to the task at hand.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 07:39:10 PM »
Oh, no doubt. Not being there for preseason is not good for team chemistry at all. They put on a good face about it, amazingly so to be honest, but am I to believe that Tavaris Jackson really appreciates all of this? I suppose at least he gets additional practice, which he desperately needs, before having to step in as "the man". Even if he is hurt, he could at least show up and be there for walk throughs, to observe the plays, etc. That's what other injured players do. He no doubt puts himself above the team. However, I think there is a difference between that and publicly belittling your teammates. Also, it would appear that Favre improved at least the team he was on last year, even with all the antics, while Owens ended up harming the teams he was on.

Tags: