Author Topic: "We are all writing the story of our own life"  (Read 2404 times)

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Sisu Running
"We are all writing the story of our own life"
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:59:14 PM »
To contrast with the thread I started yesterday, a great entry from my favorite blog:
http://emuss.blogspot.com/2009/02/we-are-all-writing-story-of-our-own.html
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Offline r-at-work

Re: "We are all writing the story of our own life"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:14:51 AM »
interesting article...

I  used to joke that the only 'bad advice' my parents ever gave me was to do something I enjoyed when they should have told me to go make money so I could afford to do what I wanted on the weekends...

I have also told my kids not to put off doing the things they want (my older son wants to hike the Appalachian Trail)instead of discovering they had missed out when they were 40 years old with a wife and two kids...

the truth is somewhere in the middle... I think you can "write your own story" easier if you have money in the bank or at least someone to bank-roll you (like your parents)...and if you never have a family of your own to take care of you can continue to search for your "life"... but I also think we have been exposed to so much on Tv and in the movies that we expect our lives to be EXCITING... and when every moment isn't some people decide they must be unhappy about it...myself, I have enough excitement and I'm really more into contentment at this stage of my life... and the comment about how making money is harder than people think, yep, and not spending money is difficult too...
-Rita
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves..." Sir Roger Bannister

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:29:09 AM »
Very interesting article.

One thing I kept thinking as I read that, it applies to so much more than just career. It applies, to those of us here, to running. To me, it applies to this website. It applies to our families. Really, there's not a part of life it shouldn't apply to. So many people identify themselves by their jobs. Honestly, while I do like my job, I identify myself as a runner. Unfortunately, running can't be a job for me but I can still be very involved in running while also exploring my other interests.

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Sisu Running
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »
Absolutely, I find that it is true for about anything one wishes to do in life.  It rings true in my own life.  I spent years and lots of money pursuing a college degree I wound up having no desire to use.  After several more years, and a few other considered possibilities, by chance (a critical comment from an ex-girlfriend) I was given that alert whisper that awoke me to exactly what I wanted to do and since that time every step I have taken towards that goal (graduate degree in the appropriate field) has seemed perfectly natural and fulfilling, even if it cannot be the most direct and efficient route.  Knowing that I am on the path to my realized passion is all that matters and makes it all worthwhile.  As indicated in the article, I am now operating with what were latent talents that were not in my skill set 10+ years ago.  And potential income will never dictate my career choices going forward.  Even if I had read this article years ago, it is doubtful that it would have led to the awakening significantly earlier -- the point I arrived at was a result of the entire experience.  It certainly would have been helpful to have figured it out at a much younger age, of course!
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Tags: