Author Topic: progress in runners  (Read 2994 times)

Offline alexander19

progress in runners
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:22:08 PM »
hi everyone,IŽd like to know if a person who in his first 10k race with 3 months of training to achieve a time of 49min can to improve with time up to 35min in 10k.gracias
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:26:48 PM by alexander19 »

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Sisu Running
Re: progress in runners
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »
There is only one way to find out.  8)

Anyway, it depends a lot on the individual and both how hard and how smartly that individual trains.
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:51:45 AM »
I'd have to believe it's possible in most cases but, as mentioned, the only way to know is to try.

As a point of reference, my first 10K came at least a couple of years after I first started running and I was in the mid-40s. Had I run one with only 3 months of experience, I would have been at least into the 50s. My current PR is 32:48.

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Sisu Running
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:05:03 PM »
http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/04/morning-read-balancing-hard-easy-and.html
Many of us start training with a particular goal in mind. And often that goal is a race. A local 5K or 10K in a few weeks. A marathon in a few months.

It's what gets us out the door. What spurs us to replace our Doc Martens with Nikes. To cut back on the ice cream and re-investigate the notion of fruits and vegetables.

But it's also this: a stab in the dark.

It's a guess - and usually not even an educated one - as to how fast our bodies will adapt to whatever training we throw at them. We establish an arbitrary deadline, then demand that our body accommodate it.

As if we were master. And our body slave.

Well, I've got news for you. It doesn't work that way.

Improvement through training is neither uniform nor predictable. We are not machines. We are muscle and nerve and mind. We have bones that fracture and tendons that tear. We have jobs, families, and obligations. And concerns and foibles that are uniquely our own.

We are younger and older.

And heavy and thin.

And talented and less talented.

And fit and less-fit.

And while some of us are genetically geared toward faster recovery from workouts, others of us will take months to see the same level of improvement.
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Offline SBSpartan

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »
I have only raced one 10k and my time was 41:44.  I did it in the middle of marathon training so I wasn't really 10K fit persay.

To say that if I was specifically training for a 10K I couldn't run something close to 38 would be silly.  I would just have to do the work

My guess is same applies to you.  Do the work.  Your goal is very fast but certainly well within the world of possiblity.  I see too many people who aren't pro runners posting that time to think otherwise.
"...there's lots of good excuses. But at some point, you've just got to reach down and get the *hit done."

Offline sueruns

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 08:21:34 AM »
compelled to say "yes"....but as other said "very individual"

just witnessed 30 minute improvement in a half marathon with 8 weeks of correct training and no taper.  But when you have fitness to gain, you've been training wrong and you raced incorrectly for race #1......there are huge gains to be made in a short time. 

the problem is many of us get that ambition and a lofty goal and proceed to work our butts off thinking that this will give us the quickest and biggest dividends.  don't forget about your base

Offline dflys800

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 07:55:42 PM »
Alexander,  I would say that the sky is the limit.  You have only trained for 3 months!  Normally, runners develop over a 3 year time frame.  If you look at the next 2 and a half years, you could plan out a training plan that will bring you to your goal.  Just be careful, goals like yours don't come immediately.  Hard work and good base building is the way to go.  Also, your training should be long runs, with intervals, fartleks, and tempo runs.  Do some research if these terms are unfamiliar to you.

Tags: