Author Topic: Lydiard article  (Read 5533 times)

Offline Zeke

Lydiard article
« on: November 13, 2003, 11:03:38 AM »
I found this article online last week and found it really interesting.  

http://www.geocities.com/gprrc/lydiard.html
"It doesn't get easier.  You just go faster." - Greg LeMond

Zeke

http://cnaustin.blogspot.com/

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
That's a great article
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 11:24:39 AM »
I came across it some time ago. It's a wonderful read.

One thing I like to point out in that article is that some people think Lydiard is about nothing but lots of aerobic miles. Right from the opening of that article, he clearly disproves that by stating that the Japanese runners are focusing too much on aerobic miles and that is costing them on race day. To the American runner, Lydiard is about a lot of aerobic miles and high volume training. To the Japanese runner, Lydiard is about high intensity and low volume training. In the end, he's about all in due time and finding the right combination.

Offline Zeke

Lydiard
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 12:25:34 PM »
I read the article through once, then went back with a highlighter the 2nd time I read it.  I practically hightlighted the whole article.  

I like the stuff about anaerobic development being limited and that it only takes 10-12 weeks to max that out.  Also that sprinting speed needs to be developed 52 weeks out of the year.  He spells things out very clearly.  I think I may follow his program for Boston.
"It doesn't get easier.  You just go faster." - Greg LeMond

Zeke

http://cnaustin.blogspot.com/

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Lydiard
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 02:04:21 PM »
Quote from: "Zeke"
I read the article through once, then went back with a highlighter the 2nd time I read it.  I practically hightlighted the whole article.

I actually have to read it a second time, maybe even a third or fourth time, myself.

I like the stuff about anaerobic development being limited and that it only takes 10-12 weeks to max that out.

That's something that a lot of people don't seem to understand. That's why people who do speedwork all the time tend to plateau within 3-6 months.[/quote]

Also that sprinting speed needs to be developed 52 weeks out of the year.

I've always liked the idea of doing strides almost all the time. Imagine my surprise and pleasure when I discovered that he supports that idea.

He spells things out very clearly.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard someone say that about Lydiard. ;-)

I think I may follow his program for Boston.

IMHO, you can't go wrong following Lydiard.

Tyrone

Lydiard article
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 11:34:20 AM »
Good article!  Seems like this board is kind of quiet, im going to have to check it out and post some!

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Going off topic
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 01:04:32 PM »
Tyrone, welcome to the forums. I hope you do hang around and decide you like it here. If you would like to introduce yourself in a new thread, feel free. If not, no big deal. We could probably offer some quick introductions ourselves.

As for the level of traffic here, I think some people are still finding their way over. Last weekend, the website went through some growing pains and the original forums died in the process. This forum has only been up since Wednesday evening, so I'm not sure everyone has found it yet, although I'm doing my best to direct anyone who is trying to find the forums over here.

Tags: