Author Topic: 7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable
« on: September 11, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_15231_7-reasons-21st-century-making-you-miserable.html
I found this to be quite compelling.  It seems to be a nice companion piece to extend from the recent thread that came to be about dealing with annoyances.  I find a lot of this to be true and I have seen plenty of evidence to corroborate through years of using the interweb.  It seems like a lot of what is laid out in the article illustrates why I feel so reluctant to get into things like twitter, facebook, myspace, blogging, text messaging, etc. like a lot of people I know do.  The interweb is amazing and useful, I think it is great for gathering and sharing good information.  However, no offense to anyone here, but I would rather be hanging out with friends where I live than spending that time online with, as the article put it, people who are filtered for both common interest and personal compatibility.  I have even tried to diversify within that ideal -- when my circle of friends was comprised almost exclusively of runners, I felt restricted and one-dimensional; when I diversified to gain friends from different walks of life, life began to feel much fuller.  As another example, I had a boss that I would knock heads with a lot (I know, shocking) -- when I took some time for introspection I was able to get a healthier perspective and found ways to make working with her far easier and I now count her as a friend (we are still in touch even though it has been over a year since we worked together).  Learning to look within oneself for answers to dealing with people who may seem difficult is important, I feel.  So is learning how to appropriately accept criticism.  It is part of dealing with society and creating true community.  It could be part of what was at play (or what was lacking) in that MallWart in Georgia on that fateful day.  Anyway, I am rambling here, but this article really sparked some thoughts in my head.  Any agreement or differing views?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:33:36 PM by Andrew A. »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Re: 7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »
Nice in your face article.  Drives home some good points.

However, there is value in Facebook and other social networks - I have reconnected with friends I've lost touch with and we can check in on eachother even though we are half a world apart.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Tags: