Author Topic: effort or splits  (Read 2453 times)

Offline cesar

effort or splits
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:12:05 AM »
hey

what do you think that is the best way to run a race to get an optimal performance: to run the race by effort  or to run the race trying to hit specific splits( with a goal time)?

cesar

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Re: effort or splits
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
Yes  8)
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline cesar

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »
yes? which one? the first or the last option?

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »
I don't think trying to hit splits or a goal time is bad but focusing on them while out on the course can lead to problems. I don't think it's any secret that, when on the course, I prefer to let effort guide me. It's nice to hear splits to reinforce the feeling that the effort is correct or to correct if the adrenaline rush or some other factor gets you off target but your body knows how hard it's working, not how many minutes and seconds it took to cover the last mile.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
Both, reference #7 & #8.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline r-at-work

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
the best way to run a race to get an optimal performance: to run the race by effort  or to run the race trying to hit specific splits( with a goal time)?

The best way to get optimum performance is to show up well trained, uninjured, well rested, well fueled & hydrated, get lucky and have great weather THEN:
1. Use the early splits to keep from going out too fast (more important the longer the race).
2. Use the perceived effort to keep tabs on what you body has left to give.
3. Know what part the weather, the course and the competition will play in the final outcome.
4. Know how YOU react to all of the above.

I had my best effort on a day when my first three miles (of a marathon) were very crowded and the splits made me realize that I should let the crowd hold me back. The effort was not the running, but staying calm, it felt WAY too slow. Miles 14-19 FELT like a huge effort, the splits let me know that I was on track. For miles 23 on the splits made me happy as my goal was within reach and the effort seemed to be less at that point. On the other hand I've had races that I was prepared for and the weather (both too hot and too cold) made the effort so difficult that I thought my watch was broken, then the people around me helped as they were all suffering too.
-Rita
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves..." Sir Roger Bannister

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »
It depends on the runner, the point in the season in which the race falls, and the goal(s) for that race performance.  Some runners want to record a PR in their seasonal peak race, others want to go for the win or at least to place as high as possible.  Is it on the track?  Is it a cc race?  What will the weather be like?  Are there team goals at stake?  Is the runner relatively new to racing?  How about new to racing the particular distance and/or course?  So the answer to the question - which is rather broad and simplistic - depends on a number of contexts and variables.  And it pays to be able to think on one's feet to be able to not only avoid panic and not ditch the current strategy prematurely but also to avoid panic and adopt a strategy that will salvage some semblance of success if the current strategy should wind up falling apart.

Offline denton

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:50:42 AM »
there is a time and place for everything.......closer to racing more you want splits.....more in buildups and away from seriouc racing than more effort...

...to paraphrase harry wilson (steve ovett's coach) in buildups it is more about getting in the training irrlevant of time....when it comes to racing then we worry more about the intensity and the specifics

Tags: