Author Topic: New forum feature: WYSIWYG editor  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
New forum feature: WYSIWYG editor
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
In explaining why we were going to upgrade the forums, I mentioned that there were many benefits for everyone. One of the benefits I specifically mentioned was the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor available when making posts or private messages. I'd like to explain that a bit more now and let you know how to use it.

What is a WYSIWYG editor?

For those of you who might not know what a WYSIWYG editor is, it's essentially like typing up a message in a word processor. Instead of having to deal with funny codes to format your messages with bold text, underlines, or other formatting, you just click buttons and your post appears with that format as you type. Want to add an image? Right in the post form, instead of seeing the code, you will see the image you want to include.

How do I use the WYSIWYG editor?

I set the forums up so everyone should now have this feature turned on by default. So just start using it. When posting a new message, click the formatting buttons and your formatting will appear as you type. Note: This does not work with the quick reply form that, depending on your personal settings, may appear at the bottom of a topic. That form is set up to be quick, convenient, and streamlined. It is not meant to be full featured.

If you want to turn this feature on or off on the fly as you are posting, in the last row of formatting buttons, the last button should look something like this:

Simply click that button to turn the feature on or off.

If you want to permanently turn this feature on or off, click the Profile  button at the top of any forum page. Then, hold your cursor over the Modify Profile button and select Look and Layout from the drop-down menu. Scroll down the page until you see a series of checkboxes. The last one should say Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default. Check or uncheck that box as desired.

Also note that you can still use BBCode within the WYSIWYG editor. As an example, I made this bold using BBCode and this bold using the WYSIWYG editor's features.

I'll be posting about more new or not well known features of the forums over here over time. If you don't want to wait, feel free to play around with the features on your own. There are a lot of things you can do and, if you're concerned about breaking something, don't worry. There is nothing that can't be fixed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:56:52 AM by Ryan »

Tags: