Author Topic: Starting to run  (Read 2050 times)

Offline air_run

Starting to run
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:27:56 AM »
I am new to this whole long distnance thing. I need like a good work out plan and should I be taking any sort of supplements or  a specific diet also good shoes for people with flat feet. Pretty much any advice for beginners would be great! also what types of cross training should I be doing and help would be awesome.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Starting to run
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »
Wow, it's great to see all the new people posting recently. Welcome to distance running (the way you say this, did you happen to be a sprinter in a "former life"?) and Hillrunner.com.

As for advice, you bring up four things specifically:

Workout plan: When first starting out, the best plan is to just get out the door as consistently as possible. Just get out as many days as possible for 20-30 minutes a day if that's what you're ready for. If you aren't ready for 20-30 minutes, work in some walking breaks (alternate 1 minute runs with 2 minute walks, 4 minute runs with 1 minute walks, or whatever balance is right for your current fitness level) so you can keep moving for that amount of time. Over time, you can phase those walking breaks out. When you're consistently running 30 minutes a day more days than you are not, stop by and ask for more. Until then, I think it's best that we don't get too far ahead of ourselves. Of course, if you're already there, feel free to say so.

Supplements: There's a lot of debate about this. My usual suggestion is eat a healthy diet with a lot of fruits and veggies, take a one-a-day if you feel the need, and don't bother with anything else unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

Shoes: You could ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. The correct question is what is the best pair of shoes for you. To answer that question, if you have one available, I'd strongly suggest going to a specialty running store and having someone who knows what they are doing work with you to find the right pair of shoes. They should have you try on several different makes and models and not pressure you into any specific one.

Cross-training: If you're looking to improve your running, I'm a firm believer in the concept that the best way to become a better runner is by running. For most of us, cross-training is just a use of time and energy that could be better used to run more. If you're looking for general fitness gains, nothing is off the table.

As for other advice, don't try to push things too quickly. The body can do wonderful things but it takes time to adapt. Give your body that time and you'll be surprised what you can accomplish. The number one rule of being successful in running is patience. Number two is consistency.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:30:50 PM »
What Ryan said.  Unless looking for a non-impact aerobic exercise to bring down weight to reduce pressure on joints and connective tissue, and until volume is truly maxed out, cross-training is a poor use of good time and energy.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline r-at-work

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:15:09 AM »
2+ on whta Ryan said...

plus, don't forget to enjoy your running... try running with other people if you can find a group or partner, try different locations (routes), find out what the local race scene is like (volunteer if you aren't ready to jump into running races)... some of the info you need to continue can be found at your local running specialty store (they may have groups & races posted), you may want to use google to find info about your area, or talk to other runners that you might know...

-Rita
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves..." Sir Roger Bannister

Tags: