Author Topic: Doug Logan - not pulling his punches  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Doug Logan - not pulling his punches
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »
From a USATF press release:

"We understand that Mr. Merritt's case is still ongoing with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, and USATF awaits USADA's decision on the case. Any professional athlete in this sport knows that they are solely responsible for anything that goes into their bodies. For Mr. Merritt to claim inadvertent use of a banned substance due to the ingestion of over-the-counter supplements brings shame to himself and his teammates. Thanks to his selfish actions, he has done damage to our efforts to fight the plague of performance-enhancing drugs in our sport.

"Mr. Merritt has been an integral part of Team USA and the sport in this country. He has now put his entire career under a cloud and in the process made himself the object of jokes. In this day and age, a professional athlete should know better. Personally, I am disgusted by this entire episode."

Not exactly the "he made a mistake, let's not give him a hard time" response I've come to expect from certain officials.

While I would still like to see more actions from Logan, some of the words he's used recently have me liking what I'm hearing. He's saying the right words right now, now it's just time for him to follow through with doing the right things.

As for Merritt, I've learned to not be surprised when someone gets busted but it's still disappointing.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Re: Doug Logan - not pulling his punches
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:26:49 PM »
To me, it is the same old song and dance of blaming the athletes completely with no commitment to investigate how the system not just permits but encourages athletes to dope.  The athlete certainly deserves plenty of blame yet so does the hierarchy of officials that is the institution that governs the sport.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
Actually, I've noticed in the past that some officials have been at least a bit apologetic to the athletes. Well, you can't blame him, it was his trainer or she didn't know what was in that. While I fully agree that there also needs to be a strong look at the systematic failures that lead to athletes feeling the need to dope, it's also nice to see Logan say the athlete is ultimately responsible for what is going into his body and it's unacceptable to do this (my only question being it's unacceptable to dope or it's unacceptable to get caught).

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:44:09 PM »
I am not so sure that there is a sytemic failure causing athletes to dope.  It seems the prize money and appearance fees are the cause.  Now of course the prize money and appearance fees came about due to the system.

The glory is not enough - especially when it takes more time to train to that level than a full time job takes per week.  How do we create a system that atheltes can train to this level without trying to work a job to support them selves or a family? 

You can either be a top world class athlete or have a job that is self sustaining but not both.  You can be a very good athlete but not a top world class athlete.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »
I am not so sure that there is a sytemic failure causing athletes to dope.  It seems the prize money and appearance fees are the cause.  Now of course the prize money and appearance fees came about due to the system.
The disincentive to dope is not high enough, and that is determined by the system.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Tags: Doug Logan USATF