Author Topic: 26:59.6 Solinsky  (Read 5793 times)

Offline DoppleBock

26:59.6 Solinsky
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: 26:59.6 Solinsky
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:29:02 AM »
That is an incredible video, as is the interview. That interview tells you a lot about what it takes to be a good runner. Set an aggressive but achievable goal, work your tail off to achieve it, then execute on race day.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
I hate that I cannot see the videos on my work computer (during my lunch!) but that is pretty dang fast.  I will definitely listen to that interview later at home after my workout and run.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Anne

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
Even though I knew the outcome it was still a thrill to watch & listen to the race.  The announcers were certainly excited.

He's got quite the fan base up here & we're very happy for him.

Offline rehammes

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:57:25 PM »
I have to admit that I don't watch a lot of track and field, but that was amazing!  Solinsky looks like a linebacker compared to the rest of the field.  His kick blew me away.  Rupp had no answer.  Was that really his debut at the distance?  Outstanding.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:16:26 PM »
That was an amazing video - what an amazing kick Solinski had the last 8-900 meters!

That really gives you some inspiration to work for a kick like that!
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:13:35 AM »
That was his debut on the track at the distance. Of course, he had run the distance in cross country races but, as someone who has run the same distances on the trail and on the track, I can tell you that they are completely different races.

Offline Double

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 07:38:02 PM »
Preach it brother!
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:14:22 AM »
Solinsky looks like a linebacker compared to the rest of the field.

I've always thought that about him but it works for him. He did get asked about that in a USATF teleconference:

Q:  There are pundits out there that say you're too big to be a good distance runner. What do you think?

A: I've kind of gotten used to it because I was bigger in high school and college. Even my teammates would tease me about being a fatty, and the first thing they'd say after a race is that's probably a fatty world record (laughter). It's okay. I told my dad that nobody ever told a bumblebee he isn't supposed to fly. It's almost been a blessing because it's allowed me to be durable, being bigger and sturdier. It's been my frame that has allowed me to get away with putting in a lot of miles when someone a little more frail might fall apart.

Offline Anne

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:04:04 AM »

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 09:24:05 AM »
What a great analysis. So his friends were right, he does hold the fatty world record. ;)

To me, this just goes to show that you don't have to let stereotypes limit you. Sure, he's bigger than the stereotypical world class 10,000m runner. That didn't stop him from becoming the 29th fastest 10,000m runner in history in his first attempt at the distance. Get him into a European circuit event where he can get pulled along by another sub-27 caliber runner and doesn't have to drop a 1:55 final 800 and we might see him quickly climb into the top 20, maybe even top 15 all time list.

Offline napsta08

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 06:24:47 PM »
That race was crazy! Especially the part where that was his 10K debut! I am running for a Junior College and the 10K is a grueling race, but I enjoy it. Watching Solinsky run it got me pumped for outdoor nationals!

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Double

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
I was actually thinking of Pre today.  The fact that he ran 10 miles about every morning at 6 pace was huge.  Just rambling, but I run with a decent amount of people my age and they do quite well on 40-50 a week.  I actually understand
the balanced workouts and rest.  It does make sense for older runners.  However,
I have a tough time settling in my mind the 80-90% effectiveness one reaches is good enough.  You have to decide if the 25+ miles more a week is worth it.  That's my struggle, but I'm mixing things up a bit to find a way to do it and stay fresher.
Which goes back to Pre.  Get some morning runs in and find a way to use the evenings effectively.
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
The SI article reminded me of something I have read from Jay Johnson, a blog entry about athleticism and distance running.  This sort of goes back to an old discussion about the type of athletes that high school track and cc teams tend to get and why. 
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Tags: Chris Solinsky AR