Author Topic: Tapering for 10K (Collegiate Outdoor Track)  (Read 7013 times)

Offline napsta08

Tapering for 10K (Collegiate Outdoor Track)
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »
Outdoor Nationals is just around the corner and I was just curious to how different runners approach tapering, or if they do at all. Racing the 10k and 5k with a day in between, I think a typical taper is around 5-7 days before a race. Any input from other runners would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Re: Tapering for 10K (Collegiate Outdoor Track)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 07:27:22 AM »
It really is going to depend on your body and how hard you have been training.  You have to think back to your past experiences and try to find that pattern where you had your best races and analyze those tapers.  The timing and degree of a taper really depend on many factors.

Some thoughts to consider -

How "tired" are your legs?
When taking very deep breaths how do your lungs and chest muscles feel?
What is your general daily energy level feel like?
How "hard" are you currently working?
Has your current mileage been sufficient for the distances of the 10K and 5K?

I am sure others will have more thoughts.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
What is your coach's recommendation?
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:02 PM »
I think your coach will best know your unique situation including your training plan, how you are handling it, and what has worked within that training plan in the past.

Offline napsta08

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 12:41:06 AM »
I have never tapered for a 10k or a 5K before. I have tapered for an 8k and the performances were weak. I didn't not usually ever taper but I am trying to figure out if tapering is beneficial or not. I like Ed's post, it seems to set me in the right direction.

Offline Ed

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 06:26:38 AM »
Thanks -

But do not discount the wisdom of Ryan and Andrew concerning your coach - your coach should also be an integral part of your decision making process.  There is so much to consider - especially for something as important as Nationals.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:49:16 AM »
Just a quick explanation for my (and likely Andrew's, though I don't want to speak for him) reasoning. Your coach has guided you through the whole season with a plan in mind. If you mess with your coach's plan by doing something (or not doing something) behind your coach's back or without your coach's consent, that could put the entire plan at risk.

If you are concerned about the plan your coach is executing, talk with your coach. Whatever you do, don't do it without your coach's knowledge and consent. For a coached athlete, that is a sure way to bad results.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 09:04:01 AM »
For it to be most effective, the taper needs to fit well with the training philosophy and style of what has been done leading up to that point.  Your coach knows what that is and you might know it yet none of the rest of us do.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline napsta08

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »
I am not planning to go behind my coaches back. I know just as much or more than the coach. However we still communicate. I think I will just talk to the coach more about his "taper" when it draws near.  Typically tapering has lead me to poor performance, maybe because I am not tapering properly or something. I just wanted to know more about tapering to see if I could benefit from it or not.

Offline Ed

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 01:56:16 PM »
Let us know what your coach says and make sure to let us know how you do at Nationals.

Offline napsta08

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
Will do! Thanks for all the help and support :)

Offline grasshopper

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
Make sure you get your rest, fluids, and fuel!  :)

Offline napsta08

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 10:27:46 PM »
will do! :)

Offline napsta08

Outdoor Nationals & Summer Training
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
I was just going to let everyone know how I did at nationals. I managed to take 17th out of 29 contenders and the NJCAA Outdoor National Championships in Hutchinson Kansas. I ran a 33:10 which is a PR of 45 seconds. The race went well, and as for the tapering I believe I ended up taking off a mile or two each day, excluding the long run and intervals.

So now its summertime and its time to recover and rebuild my mileage. My ultimate goal is to work my way into a 100 mile weeks. Having 50-60 miles towards the end of my track season how much is necessary to cut off during the summer? Or is it alright just to start where I left off before the "taper".  I understand progressing through mileage and what it takes to move up and such, I was just curious to what you guys think on summer training in general. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 06:36:14 AM »
Good job, something was obviously working to have such a solid improvement at just the right time.

As for summer training, again, you have to work within the structure of your coach's plan. You always have to keep the big picture in mind. Personally, I don't think it's any secret that I believe in a plan that puts into place a good base. If I were your coach (and I'm not so take this for what it is) I'd suggest taking as much time as you feel like you need mentally and physically to get back into the flow. Then, let your body be your guide. I've gone from 40 miles per week in recovery phase to 100+ miles per week in under a month at times. At other times, I've taken a month or more to go from 40 to 60.

Tags: Taper College Outdoor Track 10k