Author Topic: 2010 BolderBOULDER Anyone?  (Read 2786 times)

Offline napsta08

2010 BolderBOULDER Anyone?
« on: June 01, 2010, 09:36:26 PM »
Hey, I just curious how you guys thought this year went for you.

For me and my team (The Little Hugs), we were 5 Minutes late for the race and we pretty much did a nice hard mile to the starting line and just went with waves BB and C ( We were suppose to be in A and AA). So not getting a proper warmup and being rushed into the race was not very exciting, but we pulled through and still ran okay times. I ran a 35:54.41 placing 124th (4th out of 271st in the M20 group). For me it was a slow race, but for the rest of my team they did exceptionally well. I was curious to what you guys think of this race. This was my second time running it. Last year I ran 38:51 which was just gruesome, however it was fun enough to come back for more. Is this race really a competition for you guys or just a challenging obstacle course for dodging runners?

Offline Wilson

• My Blog - Northern Lights
Re: 2010 BolderBOULDER Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »
Congrats! 35s is a good time on that course at 20, and you should really drop in the next few years, and you could well have a good marathon career ahead of you.
So they credited your times even though your team missed the proper waves? Easy enough to do with chips, but in a lot of places it would be tough luck.

I have run let's see 7 I think (1983, 1985, 1986, 1999, 2000, and 2001) no make that 6 Bolder Boulders.

Was there in:
1979-broke my foot a couple days before
1982-had just moved back from sea level and out of town anyway
1984-ITBS, pyriformis
1987-achilles tendonitis
2002-patellar tendonitis
2003-patellar tendonitis and posterior tibialis strain

So I missed as many BBs as run when in Colorado.

It's a fairly tough course and your time is probably slower by 1:15 to 1:30 compared to sea level (e.g., my sea level 10K PR is 1:55 faster than best at Bolder Boulder, and ran more than a minute faster on other 10K courses at altitude).

The country format for elites is stupid and they should just make it an open elite race. 

My goal was to qualify for the (then) elite race, which required 32:30 at altitude or sub 32 at sea level. I just missed by 10 or 15 sec on both accounts

That said I never had a really good day there. I think my best was 100th OA with a low 34, and did win my age one year and was 3rd another year. And I think our team won the corporate division both of those years.

I usually enjoyed it, but it's such a logistical mess to get to the start line and at such an early hour, and it's so damn crowded that I'm not sure if I'd keep going back even if we still did live in a nearby village.   

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
Congrats! 35s is a good time on that course at 20, and you should really drop in the next few years, and you could well have a good marathon career ahead of you.
+1!  Do you train with one of the area groups?
The country format for elites is stupid and they should just make it an open elite race.
+1
This year, in particular, it was a yawnfest - the men's and women's elite races were essentially decided by the 4-mile mark (actually, just past 2K for the men) - unless you were into the whole Team CO vs. Team USA undercard, which I was not.  It was nice to see coach Johnson's athletes Brent Vaughn and Renee Metivier-Baillie perform so well, it just would be far more compelling to see them finishing ahead of 100 or so runners per gender rather than about a dozen.  But then this is the Bosleys' baby/cash cow and they do not exactly have a background in the sport outside of the BB bubble.
I usually enjoyed it, but it's such a logistical mess to get to the start line and at such an early hour, and it's so damn crowded that I'm not sure if I'd keep going back even if we still did live in a nearby village.
I can imagine it would be.  Fortunately I have lived in town for all but one of the times I have run it (I think I was dropped off on Valmont or Pearl near the start the first year I ran it, when I was visiting and staying out in Lafayette) and could either lock a bike near the stadium or jog to the start and from the finish (I lived at Folsom/Spruce for a few years, near the 2K mark).  In fact, if I were coming to the race from outside of town, I would bring a bike in the back of my car and ride it to/from the stadium with a parking spot near the edge of town and jog to the starting line. 

I was going to just run it easy with some friends, one of whom was pacing a group he coaches.  We started in the same wave and I could not find either of the people I was looking for, believe it or not.  So I went up to the front of the wave at the start and over the next 5K or so let the wave run past me, trying to spot them.  No luck and by about 6K I gave up trying to find them and just picked it up to tempo pace and wove my way to the stadium, in what is likely my slowest 10K time ever.  No big deal, it was a beautiful morning and it was fun to be out there and going easy enough to really look around at what was going on both on and along the course.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:20:14 PM by Andrew A. »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline napsta08

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:54:42 PM »
Jeez Wilson! You have been through some interesting times. Your crazy  :P