Author Topic: '[Bleeping] Road Race!!!'  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
'[Bleeping] Road Race!!!'
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_15462332

Wow, hard to fathom a self-centered hot-head behind the wheel of a Bimmer.  ;)   This brings back memories, from one of the times that I have volunteered at races.  Nearly everyone I have encountered has been cool enough with waiting or taking directions to get around the closed streets, one guy in a BMW was just entirely unreceptive and took off, nearly hitting a volunteer.  I am sure this type of response is not limited entirely to BMW drivers, though, and this is coming from a former BMW driver.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:34:47 AM by Andrew A. »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: '[Bleeping] Road Race!!!'
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:29:51 AM »
I can only recall one time seeing someone being verbally combative. It was when I was spectating at the Lakefront Marathon in 2007. At about 2 miles, the course goes by a cross-street with a church on the corner. Apparently, there was some pre-mass preparation some people needed to get to the church for. Some guy got out of his car after waiting what couldn't have been more than 10 minutes and got hot headed with the police officer who was controlling traffic. He was yelling about his Constitutional right to practice his religion and how the government was taking away his Constitutional right and he was going to sue everyone he could think of. All I could think of was how this guy was making himself into the antithesis of what Christians say they stand for right in front of his church and fellow parishoners and, quite simply, making a fool of himself.

The police officer handled it very well. He said repeatedly the last runner would be through in a short amount of time and the vehicles would be able to cross immediately after the last runner passed (as was the case). Even in the face of someone getting increasingly combative and abusive, the officer simply held his ground in a non-combative, respectful manner. Heck, I was tempted myself to go over and tell this guy off and I wasn't even the target of the verbal attacks.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:59:09 AM »
I haven't encountered this problem in the last two years at my event (thank God.)

But I have seen it.

I got frustrated once but that was becuase I didn't know the local roads and neither did the volunteer that was guarding the intersection.  I didn't get rude or combative just frustrated that the volunteer knew no alternative route.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »
I think it would be good to have traffic control people who know their way around so they could redirect traffic. Of course, in the scenario I witnessed, any detour would have taken longer than just waiting. Sometimes, people have to just grow up and accept that they aren't the most important people in the world and that a once a year interruption in their lives won't be the end of the world.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:34:11 AM »
Sometimes, people have to just grow up and accept that they aren't the most important people in the world and that a once a year interruption in their lives won't be the end of the world.

This is my exact thought of the folks that live in Mequon that are the major limiting factor in the Lakefront Marathon.  That is one community that is the most full of itself!  Mequon complains heavily of the couple of hours of minor inconvenience on Race Day and they don't have any full road closures through their community.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run