Author Topic: Similar shoe to Asics Hyperspeed?  (Read 5866 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Similar shoe to Asics Hyperspeed?
« on: July 26, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
I don't know if this is an issue Asics is having or someone down the line but I can't get my hands on a new pair until mid-November. I'm afraid I might not be able to wait that long. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be a similar shoe, a mid-range (7 ounce-ish) racing flat that has little heel lift and generally doesn't get in the way (maybe a bit of stability but even that would be optional)? Anyone with personal experience in a similar shoe? My sponsor doesn't carry Adidas so I'm probably going to shy away from them.

Offline rehammes

Re: Similar shoe to Asics Hyperspeed?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ASC1414/

I've preordered shoes from here before and they have come in right on time if not early.  Are you leery of trying the new version? 

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:48:21 PM »
Check out the Brooks Green Silence, if you can.  The Green Silence has less heel-toe drop than the T6 (T7 in a cool redesign - http://terryrunningonempty.blogspot.com/2010/07/racing-into-next-year.html - out soon) does: 18mm-10mm vs. 20mm-8mm. GS is the same weight as the Hyperspeed (17mm-10mm drop), according to Runningwarehouse.com.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:09:04 PM by Andrew A. »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 06:41:45 AM »
Thanks guys.

Rob, I actually have two pairs of the new version already. One is well worn and one I'm holding back the miles on for the marathon. I was just hoping to use a couple of $50 gift certificates I have so I don't have to pay full price.

Andrew, the Green Silence definitely sounds like a shoe to try. Only one millimeter additional heel-toe drop, with the same toe height, and 6.9 ounces instead of 7.0 ounces. Sounds like almost the same shoe. As a bonus, my sponsor has them in stock in some sizes. I might have to give them a try.

Also mentioned to me was the Saucony A4, which is a bit less shoe but very similar to the Hyperspeed. It seems like I have a couple of options to try and, if those don't work out, I can order some through RRS.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 07:30:46 AM »
As a bonus, the Green Silence is, of course, the most green choice.  http://talk.brooksrunning.com/2010/01/19/brooks-green-silence-inside-scoop-for-shoe-geeks/  I have a pair and plan to get another when the new colorway becomes available.  Though I have never been a big fan of Brooks's trainers, I have long been a fan of the brand/company because of their practices and overall vision. 8)
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »
That did catch my eye. I also just got a raving review of the T6. The first sentence was "This is your shoe." I've never thought a whole lot of their trainers but their racing shoes sure seem to be popular and seem to be well built shoes. The heel lift of the T6 bothers me a bit but this is a guy who came to the shoe from a previous incarnation of the Hyperspeed and says he's never looked back.

It looks like I have 3 leading options at this point and I still have RRS as a fallback option if none of those work.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 08:24:52 AM »
I will likely wind up getting a pair of the T7s, eventually -- they are just not at the top of my list right now, especially given the heel-forefoot dive.  I recently got the Brooks Racer STs and, after just one training run, really like them.  The next Brooks shoes I will likely be getting are the Launch and the Mach 12.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
The ST doesn't seem like a big heel? It is listed on the Brooks site as a 12mm drop, same as the T6. I was looking at the Mach 12 but I'm not sure I want to experiment that much in the final month pre-marathon. Honestly, if I don't find a shoe that seems absolutely perfect, I'll probably try to put off trying it out until after the marathon. If I do find one that seems perfect, I'd like to give it a couple trial runs ASAP, given my timeframe. I kind of put myself in a bind here, though I'm probably more concerned than necessary about how many miles the shoes I currently have still have left.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
Yes, which is fine for me for training (remarkably similar stats to your beloved adidas AdiZero Mana, by the way) yet not quite as similar to the Hyperspeed you reference.  The Racer ST is more substantial, not as curved.  For racing, I think I want something of a bit flatter flat, though I do anticipate giving the T7 a try.  Incidentally, if you do wind up wanting to stick with the Green Silence, with a 15% discount code at Runningwarehouse.com they tend to be quite reasonable.  I got my pair of GS for free and through my sponsor I can get Brooks shoes for about the cost that Double spends on his adidas outlet store shoes, so price will not be an object for the next pair.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:09:15 AM by Andrew A. »

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:26:05 AM »
I ended up going with the T6. My sponsor had a pair in stock at the location by Lisa's work so I went over there and tried them out. They felt very good and I didn't notice the heel lift being an issue so I figured they would work at least as an occasional trainer, if not as a shoe to transition to if the sole proves more durable than the Hyperspeed. With the $50 gift certificate, I think I may have even come in lower than the outlet store prices.

One warning I would give to anyone looking at the T6, the sizes are a bit off. In regular trainers, I always wore size 9.5. In racing flats, I usually had to size up to 10. I ended up in size 10.5 in the T6 and the fit is still a bit more snug than my size 10 Hyperspeeds.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »
Right, to me it is not a big deal, either way.  The Green Silence just appeals on a number of levels.  I run just fine in shoes that are about as flat as any as well as in some that are more pitched, though the former are certainly more ideal.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:21:53 AM »
Yes, it's not the end of the world. The heel-toe drop is still pretty minor. In fact, I figured that these shoes will start probably more level than my well worn Hyperspeeds, where I've worn almost all the way through the midsole in the toe but the heel is still essentially unworn.

I thought it might be a bigger issue after getting used to the very level Hyperspeeds but that didn't seem to be the case. My first run in those shoes will probably happen in the next couple of days so I'll be able to better evaluate the shoes at that time.

Tags: shoes