Author Topic: USATF dumps Doug Logan  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
USATF dumps Doug Logan
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:02:10 PM »
Maybe I'm crazy but I thought Logan was doing a pretty good job, better than those in recent memory who held his job. Did they just dump the best CEO they have had in a while after only two years? Am I wrong? Did he deserve this treatment? Thoughts?

INDIANAPOLIS – The USA Track & Field Board of Directors has voted to pursue new leadership in its CEO position, bringing to a close the tenure of Doug Logan, who had been CEO of the federation since July 2008.

After a meeting over the weekend in Las Vegas, the Board voted to pursue leadership change.

“We sincerely thank Doug for his efforts and his passionate focus on our sport,” said USATF President and Chair Stephanie Hightower. “After undertaking a performance evaluation over the course of the past few months, our Board has decided it is in our best interests to engage different leadership to move the sport forward.”

In accordance with USATF bylaws, Chief Operating Officer Mike McNees will assume day-to-day leadership of USATF as the Board begins its search for a new CEO.

“The Board is committed to a thorough, thoughtful CEO search process,” Hightower said. “Although our goal is to complete the search process quickly, we will not compromise the quality of the search and candidate evaluation. The Board is fully supportive of the USATF staff, and we know they will do a tremendous job as we enter this new phase for the organization.”

Hightower stressed that the USATF Board will continue to vigorously pursue its strategic plan, developed in July 2009 and approved by USATF membership last December. (http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUID=USATF_2009_12_03_14_20_48)  “We simply need to accelerate our realization of this vision and plan,” she said.

Hightower encouraged individuals with questions about the search process or suggestions for the Board to email USATF at President@usatf.org

Offline Wilson

• My Blog - Northern Lights
Re: USATF dumps Doug Logan
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »
Yeah, WTF!? I heard he was in trouble. Owen Cassell who was in there forever was corrupt and meglomaniacal as they get. And while Masback talked a good game, I don't think he did all that much and swept a lot of stuff under the rug. Seems like Logan was trying to clean house and change things and this was the thanks from the USATF board.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »
Wilson, precisely my thoughts. Logan seemed to be getting things done, which is something I didn't see from Masback and, well, Cassell? While Logan may not have gotten everything perfectly right, in my mind, he did more in 2 years than anyone I can recall. For being the most productive USATF CEO that I can think of, he gets unceremoniously dumped. Thanks but no thanks, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I heard I believe last week that the board was going to be reviewing his employment status and my statement on Twitter at the time was simple: keep Logan. I just don't get this. Were the personal interests of certain individuals being threatened by Logan's focusing on the best interests of the sport? Are we going to end up with another unproductive figurehead instead of a real leader?

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »
Logan likely ticked off the wrong (entitled/oversensitive) people.  USATF tries to be too many things to too many people, it tries to serve too many masters.  This defines the basic dysfunction of the organization and explains why it continues to do nothing really well.

Wilson: TAC head was Olan Cassell and being that he came up from 'within' the organization to head it, he was perhaps too connected and owed enough favors by enough people that he could not tick off enough of them long enough for them to rally against him, though that finally happened in 1996.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline DoppleBock

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:45:25 AM »
Here is the e-mail I received 2 days ago

Dear Athletes,

The Athletes Advisory Committee with the support of the Track and Field Athletes Association has been working diligently to protect the rights and status of athletes.  We have been building a network of positive ideas and proactive activities to support those efforts.  While we mostly compete in individual events, it goes without saying that when the "Athletes" work together the job gets done.   

The AAC and the TFAA appreciate the actions of Board of Directors for being sensitive to the needs and requirements to and for the athletes.  It is unfortunate that Mr. Doug Logan did not observe our sport and serve the needs of the athletes. 

We wish Mr. Logan well in his future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Jon Drummond
Chair
Athlete Advisory Committee,
USA Track and Field
www.USATF.org
www.TrackandFieldAthletesAssociation.org

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 09:55:36 AM »
It is unfortunate that Mr. Doug Logan did not observe our sport and serve the needs of the athletes.

I'm not going to pretend to know all that goes on behind the scenes but I wonder what this is supposed to mean. From what I've observed, he's done as good a job as I can recall anyone doing when it comes to serving the needs of the athletes.

Offline DoppleBock

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »
To me it was a very confusing e-mail - This seemed to unnecessarly slam Doug, follwed by "We wish him the best"

If all they said was "We feel Doug was not in alignment with our goals" or something like that - It would have been standard issued statement, but to slam the man, it shows more emotion in the process (Subjective) or politics than a factual (Objective) process.

Like said previously - It has likely to do with $$$$$$.  By cleaning things up, did he limit the flow of money coming into either the organization or personally to the athletes or a few athletes?

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »
I suspect it was very confusing for anyone who didn't know what Drummond was addressing.

An interesting analysis from LetsRun. If Logan overpromised and underdelivered, fine. However, everyone knows that, in the past two years, everyone was cutting advertising and promotional spend significantly. Based on what I see, he did a pretty outstanding job retaining revenues when it seemed like everyone relying on sponsorships was losing 20-50%. The one negative that really stands out to me there is the continued overpromising of revenues. Everyone had to know 12 million in sponsorships wouldn't happen this year. The goal should have been to recover back to 7+ million or, if one wants to be aggressive, get back to 7.5 million. A 7.5 million target would still have been a 10+% increase in a market where holding steady is still doing good.

I don't think this is a reason to fire a CEO but at least that reason would make some sense. Any other explanation I can think of or that I've seen floating around just doesn't seem to add up.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:27:53 PM »
Scott Douglas interviewed USATF's Chief Public Affairs Officer (aka Spin Doctor or Propaganda Minister), Jill Geer, regarding the change at CEO: http://wpblogs.runningtimes.com/blogs/talktest/?p=710

She uses a lot of words to spread half-truths and basically say nothing significant (comes across as "let them eat cake" statements, at least to me), which justifies my continued distance from and disinterest in that organization until it becomes pertinent to my career.  I do not travel enough to make their 'discounts' worthwhile, I have zero interest in the Nike gear they sell on their site or magazine and other product discounts available to members, I will likely not be racing at any national championships anytime soon, etc.  (Never mind their ridiculous membership fee structure for someone like me, not to mention the horrible dysfunction (even compared to the national office) of my local association, which offers even less to me than the general USATF membership does.)  Is it any wonder that a group like the Hansons would want as little to do with USATF as possible?  Even an elite group such as that is disinterested in suckling at USATF's teat, why should any of us who are much lower on the competitive totem pole want to support USATF at all?  "USATF is all our sport has in the US" is hardly a compelling reason.

I would say "thanks for nothing" to Geer regarding that interview except that her pay is likely thanks enough for her contributions to the ongoing cover-up of her employer's dysfunction; she is a technocrat who believes that she is playing a key role in improving the health of the sport yet in reality she is merely part of the machine that is continuing to slowly spiral downward when it is not stalling out.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 06:38:01 AM »
I saw the Geer interview and had a similar response. A lot of words to say nothing.

As with you, I have no interest in membership. There is nothing in it for me except the "feel good" of being "part of the team". I honestly don't feel much in that regard so there's essentially nothing I would use. I was a member for a couple of years when I would run USATF Minnesota events a long time ago but that was because I had to be a member to enter.

I don't buy the "they are all we have so we should support them" mentality. If they are all we have, I think we're better off saving our resources until something better develops. Or use our resources to attempt to bring something better to the table. I'd rather forgo the membership and use my resources to support programs like the Hansons than support this broken organization. With Logan at the helm, I was consider changing my stance in that regard as he seemed to be moving the organization in the right direction. Now, I'm back to square one.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »
Even if they were to offer something compelling that did not offer me anything other than enjoyment, I could be apt to buy in.  A state association championships (cc, roads, track), real state association racing circuits (e.g. track in spring, roads in summer, cc in fall), stricter/more comprehensive oversight of coaching education and certification, structural oversight of road racing, even adding an elevation loss threshold to course certification.  Even ignoring what they do not do for me as a participant, they do little at all for me as a fan of the sport.  There is just no innovation or bold vision coming out of USATF, which is largely a function of their unwillingness to follow the lead of a so-called 'outsider.'  Though the reduction in the size of the Executive Board at USATF may have been a step in the right direction, it remains a bloated organization.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:35:03 AM by Andrew A. »

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »
Indeed, that's what I was getting at with the "part of a team" thing. I'd be a "part of the team" if the "team" was doing good things. The ideas you bring up are such things that could be done. What I've seen from the USATF, though, is nothing that I feel is worth supporting. They were getting closer but this sets them back again.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 08:47:33 AM »
Now, the interview with Doug Logan: http://wpblogs.runningtimes.com/blogs/talktest/?p=762

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
That's an interesting contrast to the Geer interview. Some of those things, I've already heard. Others are new. None are shocking. I get a sense that this story is going to continue for a while.

Offline DoppleBock

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 02:55:26 PM »
I have to me a member for the 24 hour and also if I decide to do Mad City (I hope he gets the $$ to hold it again in 2011)

I did get a nice suitcase and a pile of clothes from them & Nike + $750 to offset the $1,500 to go to France - I know nothing about their politics and what they accomplish, but I have benefited from USATF.

Tags: USATF Doug Logan