Author Topic: Sussex Run the Village 5K  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Sussex Run the Village 5K
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:43:49 AM »
This will be brief as the race was only 5K. 

Carpooled with Ryan and we registered.  It was quite windy and cool.  We headed out for a warm up, nice easy pace about 2 or so miles (not sure - Ryan has a likely better estimate.)  I knew that with virtually no training runs since June that this race would be akin to a training run.  Slow and easy- feel it out.

Not so slow and not so easy - small group so it was hard to judge paces.  Not 200 feet from the start a young girl (running in the front and didn't belong there) tripped and fell hard, caused a bit of a jam-up and caused at least one other person to fall.  Luckily I missed being involved in that.  I headed out at a fairly good pace faster than I should have been but I felt fine.  There were no splits but miles two and three were marked so I gauged how I felt at those points and did my best to avoid fading. 

There was a young boy maybe all of 10 ahead of me running strong and I had a flashback to that 12 year old that beat me in my best half mary.  But itís all good in a race.  I was slowly catching up to him as we neared the final 1/4 mile and he was beginning to fade.  I didnít want his race to end with a fade (a bad experience) so I encouraged him on, telling him not to let me catch him and that he had this race.  About 100 feet from the finish I got him to sprint it out with me Ė I didnít even think about the clock or my time.  For some reason at that point I wanted him to have a great experience and learn that he could find a kick even when he felt like fading. 

A handful of us ran the course backwards for a cool-down and right when we got back we noticed they were doing the awards.  We headed over and my age group was the next they were awarding Ė I won my age group!  I am guessing there was no one else in my age group but I wonít know until they post the results.  Anyway, all four of us won something so it was a pretty cool experience.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline cesar

Re: Sussex Run the Village 5K
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 01:39:21 PM »
Nice run Ed. Keep up the training!

Offline Ed

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:57:31 PM »
Thank you Cesar - If I want to help the team at all at Al's run I had better get out there daily this next two weeks.

Offline cesar

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 04:23:53 PM »
why you are not running consistently?

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Good racing, sounds like it was a fun time!
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ed

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 11:00:24 PM »
Thanks Andrew - it was fun.

Cesar - I have been doing some consulting work and my regular job.  I have been putting in 18-20 hour days just working and at nearly 40 I need those 4-5 hours of sleep badly. 

I am just about to wrap up that consulting work - might get more but it will be on a longer time line so less intense days.

I am hoping to get running daily again.

Offline Ed

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:13 AM »
Ok - so I wasn't alone in my age group there were eight of us.  I feel better now.   ;)

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »
Nice race, Ed.

The results show that you nipped that kid at the line.  ;)
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete