Author Topic: Race report: Sussex I Run the Village 5K  (Read 5219 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Race report: Sussex I Run the Village 5K
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »
This is the race for which I won two free entries by placing second in my age group at the Hank Aaron run. This would determine whether being beaten in the kick for the age group win and a free watch there would pay off or be a bust. Available for the overall winner was a $100 gift certificate ($40 toward a pair of shoes and $60 for a biomechanical evaluation so essentially $40 for me) from the store that also happens to be my sponsor. If I win that, it's better than a watch. If I go home with another medal, the watch would have been nice.

Going into the race, I was a bit nervous. Ever since the marathon attempt, my legs have been very flat. I'll get an occasional good day where I feel at the top of my game but that's only once or, at best, twice a week. The rest of the time, I'm dragging around and I just feel like I'm ready for a break. Can I time things out so my legs are ready to go on race day? I spent the 2-3 weeks before this race trying to figure out how to do that, as well as resting up so I could be ready to go for the final phase of my 2010 racing season. I found a weekly schedule that I thought would work but I wasn't sure how well it would work.

I gave the second free entry for this race to Ed and we met at my place to carpool in to the race. It was a cool, windy morning. Really, if not for the wind, the temperature would be about perfect for a race but the wind made it pretty bitter. I saw Ted Shue there, fresh off an Ironman about 2-3 weeks earlier, and one or two other guys I figured could be competition if I'm not at the top of my game. However, if I was at the top of my game, as Ted said to me at the start line, there shouldn't be much competition for me there.

At the start, one guy went out right with me. We were shoulder to shoulder off the line and into the run for a bit. He was on my right side as we approached a right turn and, just as I was about to position myself for the turn, he drifted a bit back so I went into the lead to get around the turn. Then, we were running north into what seemed to be a northwest wind. I was checking shadows and noticed that there seemed to be two guys behind me. I was checking positioning because I didn't want to be doing all the work in breaking the fairly strong wind for someone else but they seemed to be going off my left shoulder, taking the wind right along with me. I thought for a moment that maybe I should just hang with these guys through the mile and then let the racing begin in mile 2, then I changed my mind. I accelerated just slightly and found myself steadily pulling away. Pretty quickly, I was by myself.

The rest of the way, it became a game of running hard enough to win without killing myself. Between how I have been feeling and the fact that this is the first of 3 races in 15 days, I didn't want to fully extend myself. Around every corner, I glanced over my shoulder. I was steadily building a lead over Ted, who moved into second, and wasn't feeling threatened. I ran hard but held back just a bit. I did pick it up a bit with a half mile to go. Near the finish, we ran up a little hill where I really didn't feel like hammering it so I didn't. As I rounded the last turn, I saw 17:10-17:11 ticking off on the clock. No reason for a big kick, I'm not chasing sub-17 or anything like that any more. I just maintained the steady effort through the finish line in the 17:15-17:20 range and grabbed some warm clothes while waiting for Ted, Ed and the rest of the crew to come in.

Final results: 1st, I believe somewhere around or just under 17:20 (I can't find results online and didn't see official results with the correct times).

I did a little tabulation of my races so far this year. It's apparently been a good year for me, aside from the marathon meltdown. I've started 8 races so far this year (finished 7). I've gotten free entry into 6 races (4 through my sponsor, 1 won from another race, the alumni meet is no entry fee) which means I've only paid 2 entry fees to run 8 races so far this year. I've won $140 toward shoe purchases and I believe $100 in other gift certificates as well as one of those free race entries I used. Three wins, a third place showing, and three outside of the top 10 against strong fields. Likely just two more races for the year, one for which I got half of my entry fee paid and the other for which I am the likely winner and I will probably come home with a gift certificate. Whatever happens in these next two races, though, it's been a good year.

Offline cesar

Re: Race report: Sussex I Run the Village 5K
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Nice report, good race. Count next week's 5k another victory!!

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:27:47 AM »
Thanks Cesar. I would expect that result given historical measures but, of course, you have to show up and do it before it counts as anything.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:12:33 AM »
Good racing, road whore.  ;)
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:33:21 AM »
LOL, thanks.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:56 AM »
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »
OK, so I was a bit slower than 17:15-17:20. I should stop trying to read the clock as I approach the finish line and approximate my time. Iím obviously very bad at it. Regardless, not a bad run for the effort put forth.

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 02:50:53 PM »
Nice job Ryan. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has a hard time estimating my finish time based upon what I see as I approach the finish line clock.
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:23:10 PM »
Thanks. I did particularly bad this time. I know I saw the clock click over to 17:11. I know I didn't pay much attention to the clock after that but I didn't realize it was that far to the finish line. I figured it couldn't be more than 8-10 seconds but it was obviously more like 15.

Offline cesar

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 08:50:46 PM »
Haha.

Steve, did you buy a new watch already? 8)

Offline ksrunner

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »
Cesar,

No. I have not purchased a watch. We may replace the GPS, but we're not in a hurry to do so. My wife also used it sometimes for trail rides on horses. If we do replace the Garmin, then I do not plan to resume using it on a daily basis as I did before. My training and racing seems to go better without it. I will probably only use it to measure distances on trail runs for which I don't know the distance. Once I know the distance, I probably won't wear the GPS on that route again. If I wear it for races, it would be only to review the splits post-race.

It's quite likely that I will go without a watch or GPS until I run well enough to win one. It just isn't that important to me.
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.

Offline cesar

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
It is nice to hear that. Most people when they had had a GPS, they become addict to it. It seems that you are an old school runner (no devices). When you raced without a watch the last time didn't you get surprised when you saw that you were going to run sub 17 mins 5k, if you d worn the Gps you probably would have slowed down!

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 01:58:43 PM »
if you d worn the Gps you probably would have slowed down!
With all due respect, not buying that.  8)
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
if you d worn the Gps you probably would have slowed down!

Knowing what little I know of Steve, I doubt it. I can think of quite a few people who would have in a similar situation but Steve seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't let numbers overrule his body's signals.

Offline ksrunner

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »
Ryan and Andrew, Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Cesar,

I was probably as much of a slave to my GPS as anyone --   though I learned to limit its influence during my workout or race   by consciously training myself not to look at it until the run was over.

I definitely   think that relying on a GPS during a race or checking the mile splits is   more likely to prove harmful than helpful. I had a good feeling about that race before the gun went off, so I doubt that I would have slowed down because of splits. Though there have been times that I would have been inclined to do so.

Since   that race that you mentioned, my training hasn't gone well. I had some   injury concerns. I reduced mileage, skipped some hard workouts, and took   a couple of days off. It seems to have worked because I am still running.   After 41 years in this body, I am finally learning to hear its   complaints and react to address them before they become bigger problems.   Now, however, I have three races in three weeks -- ending with a half   marathon. It does bother me a bit that I missed the hard training that I   had planned to do and that I haven't had the long runs that I wanted to   prepare for the half marathon, but the important thing is that I will   make it to the starting line. Come race day, those missed workouts won't   matter so much.

When you come to the starting line, there will   always be doubts, but those doubts no longer matter. Even the best prepared   runners have doubts. But, if you want to run well, you cannot dwell on   them. Everything that happened or didn't happen before you stepped up to   the line no longer matters. Just be calm and focus on the race ahead of   you and you will usually run your best race. I had forgotten how to do that   earlier this  summer. I brought all of my concerns to the starting   line with me and tried to drag them around the course. Once I remembered   how to let all of those doubts go, I ran my best race in 5 years. Come   Saturday, when I toe the line, I will be ready to go again. Whatever   happens, I will run my best race.

Tags: race report 5k