Author Topic: Allow all US citizens to compete in US Championship events?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Allow all US citizens to compete in US Championship events?
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:43:57 AM »
I just read this appeal to allow all US citizens to compete in US Championship events.

First, I didn't realize that not all citizens were allowed to compete in these events. I understand the argument that, when an event doubles as a World Championship or Olympic selection event, it can get a little tricky if someone who is not eligible to compete for the US is in the race. That said, as pointed out, not all US Championship events are selection events for World Championships or Olympics. Even if they are, if they are US Championships, shouldn't all US citizens be allowed to compete? I won't repeat the whole argument made at the link but there are some good arguments for allowing everyone in, even if they are ineligible to represent the US internationally.

What do you think of this topic? Should people who are not eligible to compete for the US internationally be excluded from US Championship events or should all US citizens be allowed in?

Tags: USATF