Author Topic: Be careful out there!  (Read 3376 times)

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
Be careful out there!
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »
I've heard several stories recently about runners who have been injured or killed while enjoying a run. It always makes me sad -- especially since they're usually preventable. Be careful!

An Arizona woman was hit by a train that she could not hear due to wearing headphones. I'm really sad for the woman's family and for the engineer, but that was really a foolish place to be wearing headphones. Headphone safety has been a topic in these forums. It would be better not to have an example of what can happen. If you need headphones, perhaps you should consider taking your run into a more controlled environment like a track or a treadmill.

A soldier was likely shot by a hunter while running on a trail that was closed for deer season.

A local woman was recently struck by a car only 10 miles from where I live. She was critically injured and it took several hours for authorities to contact her family because she didn't have id. I have a RoadID. I had only been wearing it to and from work, but now I'm wearing it every run. Accidents don't always wait until you're ready.
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Be careful out there!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I just posted on Twitter an article of a teenager in New Mexico who was hit by a train while running with headphones. While we don't want this kind of reminder, we can never be reminded too much (in more positive ways) to be safe.

Also, I don't carry any ID on myself when I run from home (I carry a company ID when running from work so I can get back in which could be used in case of emergency). Probably would be wise to look into the possibility of carrying some form of ID/emergency contact information at all times.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »
I have carried an old photo ID on essentially every run for years.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline dring

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »
Great reminders.  I do not let the high school students that I coach wear headphones, and I try to group runners together with similar abilities so they always have someone near them. 

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
I'm taking the ID thing to heart. Just typed up basic emergency information (name, address, allergy information, 2 emergency contact/phone numbers) and I'll print it out and laminate it so I can carry it on all my runs for which I don't have any other identification on myself, maybe even runs for which I do have other identification.

This can be quite inexpensive if you do it yourself and it could save your life and a lot of stress on your family in an emergency. No excuses not to do it. I'm actually embarrassed that I haven't done it about 2 decades ago.

Offline Double

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
I figure since I am one of the few Steelers fans in town and run with a chew in, they will know who I am.
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Charlene

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »
As I live in a small town, EVERYONE in town knows exactly who I am. 

I trust no one but myself with my own safety.   I am surprised when I witness the total lack of common sense of some runners, walkers, and bikers.   It seems to be getting worse. 

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:06 PM »
I am surprised when I witness the total lack of common sense of some runners, walkers, and bikers.   It seems to be getting worse.
+1 
There are some incredibly sheltered adults in this country and it seems to be a growing concern.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 07:39:07 AM »
As I live in a small town, EVERYONE in town knows exactly who I am.

I'm getting to the point that everyone recognizes me but I think very few would know who to contact or my medical history, which are the things that really matter in an emergency.

I trust no one but myself with my own safety.   I am surprised when I witness the total lack of common sense of some runners, walkers, and bikers.   It seems to be getting worse.

The first sentence here is the one that is key. Don't trust anyone else with your safety. These days, I won't trust a driver unless I can look in their eye and know that they will stop for me. I'll let them know what I think of their actions if they are not in line with the law or common sense but I don't go around expecting them to be in line with the law or common sense. Andrew and I have discussed this some, as have you and I, there seems to be an epidemic out there of people who don't take responsibility for themselves. Put yourself in a bad position and bad things can happen. Keep yourself out of those bad positions and bad things are much less likely to happen.

In other words, "Be careful out there!"

Tags: safety