Author Topic: The Lonely Breed  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
The Lonely Breed
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:07:30 PM »
Has anyone read this book and does anyone have a copy to loan?  I would like to read it yet am not ready to drop $80 for it just now.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1081645/index.htm
Great title, by the way.  8)
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline denton

Re: The Lonely Breed
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »
I own a copy...;-)

Offline denton

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
oh....and a great book...one my favs.....

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »
Tease!  8)  C'mon, dude, you know I will mail it back to you after I read it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:35:28 PM by Andrew A. »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline HiroProtagonist

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »
That's a great book from the early 70s, a chapter each on the great distance runners: Zatopec, Nurmi, and others.  I owned it throughout high school, when I was running track. 

As of 1970, the great Emil Zatopec, my favorite runner of all time, had been punished after siding with the reformers of Prague Spring and was off in a coal mine or something--I grew up and thought all my life, based on "The Lonely Breed's" sad dismissal of Zatopec's fate (as of then), that he must have died in obscurity and poverty.  It made my day last week to google him while watching the 2012 Olympics and learn he'd had a happy 50+ year marriage to another athlete, had been rediscovered as a Czech national hero after the Cold War, and spent his last decade being publicly lionized for his athletic and moral courage.

So, anyway, yes--Lonely Breed is well worth reading for a runner who's interested in the history of the sport.  $50+ is pretty steep, but there must be libraries that still have it, directly or via interlibrary loan.   Good luck!