Author Topic: Recent Hillrunner.com downtime  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Recent Hillrunner.com downtime
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »
I'm sure pretty much everybody noticed the extensive time that Hillrunner.com was down. First, let me say I'm terribly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Believe me, this was as frustrating for me as it was for anybody.

I'm in the process of checking as much of the site as I can to make sure it is all working properly. If I miss something, please let me know. In the meantime, I can't through written word express how sorry I am or the frustration I'm experiencing right now in what has happened. I hope you will give Hillrunner.com another chance.

If you don't care about the technical details of what happened, you can stop reading now. As for what happened, recently, Hillrunner.com was moved onto a new server structure by our web space provider. These servers were supposed to offer additional performance and flexibility. Apparently, there was some hardware failure on the new servers. After, in my opinion, too many hours trying to fix the problem, they moved Hillrunner.com back to its old server. All was believed by the server administrators to be well at that point, until I finally asked the administrators to actually look at Hillrunner.com and they saw that there were further problems. Overnight, they resolved those issues so things are back to working.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:37:30 AM by Ryan »

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Re: Recent Hillrunner.com downtime
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »
Thank goodness things are back up and running.  If I see anything not properly working I'll let you know.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Charlene

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 01:28:10 PM »
I am really glad to see that the server issues have been resolved.  I got my log all caught up and did have to re-enter Weds and Thursday's workouts but I had all the #s.   All the data went in and computed just fine though.  I am sure that this has been a really stressful time for you and I am glad the site is back up.

Offline MothAudio

• http://audiokarma.org/
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
Thanks, I thought the issue was on my end. RWF is pretty unstable too so I'm used to it.
1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 miler [1974]. The Moth Profile

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:16:20 AM »
Again, I'm terribly sorry for all the problems. If you've noticed that you've repeatedly had to log on to the forums even if you select to remain logged on forever, I believe this is a server issue with handling cookies, which are used to store your login information. In addition, we had a period of downtime overnight that hopefully didn't affect too many people.

I will be contacting other web hosting providers this weekend and making a decision on what to do about the web hosting. If/when we change hosts, that will be another period of downtime unfortunately. However, the plan will be to get with a more reliable host that will help us ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen again. Down times are, of course, inevitable when you are dealing with computers but ones that last nearly two days, combined with the various problems we've seen since that time, are unreasonable. I'm not getting what I'm paying for and you're not getting what you should expect out of a professional-grade website.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »
More down time, centered around the forums this time. Expect a change soon. I'll be sure to update before a change is made but this is getting to the point that I have to act sooner rather than later.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:28:04 AM »
More recent downtime but, this time, for the last time. I'd like to take a moment to explain what happened over the weekend.

I was intending to find a new host this weekend and make a planned move that I could announce ahead of time. Then, late last week, I started noticing much more frequent down times, essentially on a daily basis, leading up to what happened Saturday morning. Given the instability of that server, I felt it was not worthwhile to try to hold things together so we could do an announced switch and I made the decision to begin the transition Saturday evening.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused but I hope you like the new place. For now, it should look a lot like the old place. However, the new host also gives us a lot of additional functionality so you might see some new additions to the site in the future that I could only have hoped for previously.

Seeing as we are on a whole new server, some things might not be working quite right. I'm going to take a look around and "kick the wheels" as time permits but please let me know if you spot something that doesn't look quite right.

Offline Charlene

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »
The training log was working just fine.  I am glad the site is back up again.   :)

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:27:23 AM »
Thanks Charlene. I knew I could count on you to give the training log a good test.

Offline Charlene

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »
Just today though I noticed that when I search for hillrunner on Bing that the Treadmill  Conversions comes up on top of the results instead of the Hillrunner Home page which does not pop up at all.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 07:42:21 AM »
I don't have a whole lot of control over the search engines but I will see if I can resubmit and get things correctly. I also have a sitemap submission outstanding with Bing that will hopefully help in that issue.

Something is better than nothing but the homepage is best for the search you did.

Tags: