Author Topic: Report shows U.S. marathons enjoyed banner '10  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Re: Report shows U.S. marathons enjoyed banner '10
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:28:25 AM »
Interesting - I would have liked to see some information regarding the average pace increase/ decrease along with the participation increase. 
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:40:54 AM »
It seems like every year lately has been a banner year in participation numbers. Even through the recession, consistently increasing participation numbers. In a way, this is great. However, I wonder how healthy the front of the pack is. Especially with more races all the time filling several months before race day, are we seeing a thinning of the front pack? It's not even all about average finish times but about raw numbers of sub-2:30, sub-3:00, sub-3:30, etc. finishers.

In other words, the event aspect is enjoying banner success. I just wonder how the sporting aspect is doing. Maybe I'll try to get some of those numbers together later from various races.

Offline Ed

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
The sad part is - these marathons will be "news worthy" for their size - never mind they are the slowest marathon (maybe.)

I think these "destination" marathons should reserve a good set of spaces for elites, sub 2:30, sub 3:00 and let them sign up just weeks before the event.  If the marathon is worried about unfilled space - they could have a "stand-by" for day of race registration.  They would know their numbers at least a week or two before the day and announce day of event registration available to "x" number of people - first come - first serve.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
Ed, CIM recently announced some interesting changes. I wouldn't call these changes perfect but they are a step in the direction of what you're talking about. Personally, this ranks CIM very high on my (very) short list of marathons I would consider traveling for.

Offline Ed

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
Love it!  This is a good start and a way to easily recognize the high quality runners.  Maybe we can put some pressure on The Lakefront marathon to try something like this.

Offline racetraining

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »
This had to have been the "Spring Half" just outside of Boulder. Jeff Mason is the race director and every year he puts on a horribly unorganized event. 
I am sure he never ran for CU and is not a competitive runner of any kind.   He advertises well is his strong point and the experience the runners have
actually doing the race is not important to him.  I would never work for him either as he does not pay his bills.
Recent times: 17:17 / 35:55 @altitude
34:15 @ sea-level  47 yrs old

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »
This story sounds familiar. Sounds almost like, what was it, Devine events or something like that? Seems like a good director to avoid.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »
This had to have been the "Spring Half" just outside of Boulder. Jeff Mason is the race director and every year he puts on a horribly unorganized event. 
I am sure he never ran for CU and is not a competitive runner of any kind.   He advertises well is his strong point and the experience the runners have
actually doing the race is not important to him.  I would never work for him either as he does not pay his bills.
Wrong thread?  8)
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.