HillRunner.com Forums > Non-Running Forum

Time to eat better

(1/4) > >>

Ed:
We all need to do our part with healthier eating and help to influence others around us.  I am working on breaking my addiction to soda - switching to seltzer water when I crave the cold fizz and regular water.  When the office wants to order food as a group - I opt out more times now than I opt in.  I am going to start bringing a salad for my lunches.  This is just at the office.  At home we are starting to eat healthier meals and becuase we didn't have the money to eat our meals out we have grown accustomed to that not being in our diet.  When we do eat out, we all feel slightly sick.  The children (12 and almost 9) never ask for fast food. 

Andrew A.:
I am liking this blog more and more: http://enduranceandsustainability.blogspot.com/2011/06/junk-food-endurance-and-longevity.html

runner4:
good post and forum

ksrunner:
Two relevant Mercola articles:

On Bread

* Some interesting historical facts about bread in Britain
* Summary: refined white flour = bad
* Interesting that today's bread from refined white flour is even poorer quality than refined white flour bread from 1911.
* Children whose parents swear that their kids only eat wonder white bread tend to make liars of their parents when presented with my wife's whole grain bread -- even asking specifically for sandwiches on subsequent visits.Buying Whole Foods Affordably

* Buy seasonal: Fruits and vegetables are both cheaper and tastier when purchased in season.
* Use the bulk bins: You won't pay for packaging, labeling and advertising.
* Grow your own: A sunny yard or even a window box can add cheap, fresh food to your plate.
* Use your freezer: Stock up and freeze when whole food is on sale.
* Reduce waste: Don't let leftovers go to waste.If you enjoy Salsa you can save a lot of money by canning your own. Mrs. Wages makes a very tasty salsa mix such that you provide your own tomatoes and vinegar. Even if you cannot grow your own tomatoes, buying tomatoes from a local farmer and then using them to make Salsa can save a lot. One year, our tomatoes did not produce adequately and we bought several boxes of tomatoes from a local organic farmer and used those to can salsa. Though my wife doesn't usually use mixes, Mrs. Wages eliminated the need to grow peppers which we do not consume other than salsa, saved her hands from the sensitivity to pepper juice, and Mrs. Wages salsa tastes REALLY good. The mild salsa provides just the right amount of spiciness for us.

You could also save on salad dressings by making your own dressings:

* Savory Dressing
* Sweet Raspberry Dressing -- especially good if you add pears, apples, or berries to your saladThe Mercola article mentions buying in bulk. That can be a huge savings. Take black beans, for instance. You can buy a 25# bag black beans for much less than the equivalent amount of canned black beans. Though it takes a couple of hours to cook them, you could be working around the house or watching a movie or something while you cook them. If you make a large batch of them, you can store them in the refrigerator for quick meals during the week. (Warm beans (and corn if you like). Spread some cream cheese (we use Chevre -- a goat cheese) on a whole wheat tortilla. Add beans and top with lettuce, and tomatoes or salsa.)

Note on Mercola

If you do any research on Mercola, you will see that some call him a quack. Although I think that he is very over the top with his marketing to the consumer and think that that could easily constitute a conflict of interest since many of his articles directly relate to a product that he sells, I think that much of what he publishes is right on. I also think that his approach looks more to the root of health problems than the mainstream healthcare system. If our health care system were working, I don't think that Mercola's marketing would work so well.

Ed:
Excellent addition to this topic.  Thank You -

This summer we are trying to grow:

Tomatoes
Strawberries
Raspberries
Watermellon
Honeydew
Red Cabbage
Cucumbers
Green Peppers
Red Peppers