Author Topic: Time to eat better  (Read 10709 times)

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Time to eat better
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
We all need to do our part with healthier eating and help to influence others around us.  I am working on breaking my addiction to soda - switching to seltzer water when I crave the cold fizz and regular water.  When the office wants to order food as a group - I opt out more times now than I opt in.  I am going to start bringing a salad for my lunches.  This is just at the office.  At home we are starting to eat healthier meals and becuase we didn't have the money to eat our meals out we have grown accustomed to that not being in our diet.  When we do eat out, we all feel slightly sick.  The children (12 and almost 9) never ask for fast food. 
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Re: Time to eat better
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline runner4

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:53:23 AM »
good post and forum

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
Two relevant Mercola articles:

On Bread
  • Some interesting historical facts about bread in Britain
  • Summary: refined white flour = bad
  • Interesting that today's bread from refined white flour is even poorer quality than refined white flour bread from 1911.
  • Children whose parents swear that their kids only eat wonder white bread tend to make liars of their parents when presented with my wife's whole grain bread -- even asking specifically for sandwiches on subsequent visits.
Buying Whole Foods Affordably
  • Buy seasonal: Fruits and vegetables are both cheaper and tastier when purchased in season.
  • Use the bulk bins: You won't pay for packaging, labeling and advertising.
  • Grow your own: A sunny yard or even a window box can add cheap, fresh food to your plate.
  • Use your freezer: Stock up and freeze when whole food is on sale.
  • Reduce waste: Don't let leftovers go to waste.
If you enjoy Salsa you can save a lot of money by canning your own. Mrs. Wages makes a very tasty salsa mix such that you provide your own tomatoes and vinegar. Even if you cannot grow your own tomatoes, buying tomatoes from a local farmer and then using them to make Salsa can save a lot. One year, our tomatoes did not produce adequately and we bought several boxes of tomatoes from a local organic farmer and used those to can salsa. Though my wife doesn't usually use mixes, Mrs. Wages eliminated the need to grow peppers which we do not consume other than salsa, saved her hands from the sensitivity to pepper juice, and Mrs. Wages salsa tastes REALLY good. The mild salsa provides just the right amount of spiciness for us.

You could also save on salad dressings by making your own dressings:
The Mercola article mentions buying in bulk. That can be a huge savings. Take black beans, for instance. You can buy a 25# bag black beans for much less than the equivalent amount of canned black beans. Though it takes a couple of hours to cook them, you could be working around the house or watching a movie or something while you cook them. If you make a large batch of them, you can store them in the refrigerator for quick meals during the week. (Warm beans (and corn if you like). Spread some cream cheese (we use Chevre -- a goat cheese) on a whole wheat tortilla. Add beans and top with lettuce, and tomatoes or salsa.)

Note on Mercola

If you do any research on Mercola, you will see that some call him a quack. Although I think that he is very over the top with his marketing to the consumer and think that that could easily constitute a conflict of interest since many of his articles directly relate to a product that he sells, I think that much of what he publishes is right on. I also think that his approach looks more to the root of health problems than the mainstream healthcare system. If our health care system were working, I don't think that Mercola's marketing would work so well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:07:44 AM by ksrunner »
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Ed

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »
Excellent addition to this topic.  Thank You -

This summer we are trying to grow:

Tomatoes
Strawberries
Raspberries
Watermellon
Honeydew
Red Cabbage
Cucumbers
Green Peppers
Red Peppers
Onions
Zuchinni
Broccoli

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »
Great article.

Ed, that's a nice garden. We have similar:

Tomatoes
Thai peppers (HOT!!! I'll stay away but Lisa uses them a lot)
Pumpkins
Cucumbers
Lettuce (a lot of it)
Eggplant
Raspberries
Strawberries
Blueberries
Grapes (not sure how they are going to turn out but we're giving them a shot)
I know I'm missing a couple of things

I want to do some root plants (onions, carrots, etc.) but I need to do a lot more work in our very rocky soil before they can be expected to do well.

I'd also like to do a couple melons but we have to plan out how to fit them into the garden or prep for a bigger garden next year.

The garden got off to a slow start this year, I think it was just too cool and damp for most of June, but it's really taking off now. I'm hoping to begin getting tomatoes soon. A lot of berries, especially the blueberries, are looking just about ready. The only things I'm worried about right now are the grapes but they aren't supposed to produce until I believe September and October so they have time to get going before I'm going to be too worried about them.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »
I want to do some root plants (onions, carrots, etc.) but I need to do a lot more work in our very rocky soil before they can be expected to do well.
Two words: raised beds.  ;)
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
We're considering raised beds, possibly some method of doing some kind of raised bed/retaining wall hybrid on the slope behind the garage.

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »
Some interesting thoughts on the Running Times website today that made me think of this topic: http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26491

BTW: With 0.15 inches of rain since June 1 and no rain of any substance I can recall since mid-May, the garden is not doing well this year. Especially after the heatwave we just survived. We're watering like crazy and I recently put a mister hose on our berry patch, which I think will help, but it's hard when it's this hot and dry. We already lost quite a few strawberries that simply dried up on the vine and I'd say about half of our blueberries dried up on the bush, though the blueberries that remain are now starting to look pretty good. It won't be a total loss thanks to our watering but our harvest is not going to match last year's.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 10:26:06 PM »
Some recent dietary changes I have made are 1) did a 30-day internal cleanse for the first time this spring (helped a lot with energy, as it aided nutrient absorption) and 2) take a probiotic daily.

Offline Ed

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 09:26:39 AM »
I am going to have to look into that internal cleanse.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
Here is the one I did: http://www.vitamincottage.com/cleansesmart_2_part_kit_by_renew_life_box_s_130053_gm_-p-3370.html
I just took the caps morning and night and the only dietary modification that was recommended during the cleanse was to avoid gluten, which I did not find difficult though I eat little pasta or bread anymore anyway.

Offline Ed

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
This looks pretty good and is somewhat affordable - Thank you.

Just one question - Is there a taste or aftertaste to this product?

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
I cannot recall, so likely not.  They are just capsules, though they are directed to be taken on an empty stomach.

Tags: health food energy