Author Topic: Time to eat better  (Read 10855 times)

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Re: Time to eat better
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
I'll give it a go - can only help.

Thanks again Andrew.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
Re: Time to eat better
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
I just re-read this this blog post that Andrew had posted earlier: http://enduranceandsustainability.blogspot.com/2011/06/junk-food-endurance-and-longevity.html

Our family recently made diet changes based upon the same idea that Ed wrote: "If a natural-foods diet could help make a sick person well, wouldn't it also make a well person more well?"

In our case, we were already eating "natural-foods" (buying organic, grinding our own grain to make whole grain foods, etc), but, Pamela was having an increasingly harder time digesting grain. After months of research and finding things like Dr. Wahls and the specific carbohydrate diet and talking to friends about their diets, she had reduced her grain consumption, but was not yet ready to make the change to a grain-free diet. If a natural-foods diet could help make a sick person well, wouldn't it also make a well person more well?
Eventually, she found Lierre Keith's book The Vegetarian Myth. Though the book targets practicing vegans and vegetarians to convince them that the lifestyle they are leading is good neither for their own health nor for that of the planet or the animals that they strive to protect, it is a good read for non-vegetarians as well.

Lierre Keith's book does not pull any punches and answered the question of "Why should we change our diet?" That was in December. At that time, I knew that the change was in the works, but she acted on it suddenly and decisively which is how she usually does things. I bought into the change on two fronts. First, the diet will prevent diabetes which is problematic in my family. Second, the facts that archeological evidence and observations of hunter-gatherer peoples in the 1800's and early 1900's revealed that many of our modern diseases did not exist before agriculture and the cultivation of grains convinced me that they are not really necessary and I am probably better off without them. She also showed that agriculture is an annual natural disaster for the environment.

Since around mid-December, I have not eaten any grains (wheat, corn, oatmeal, etc), legumes, or potatoes. We also nearly eliminated sugar. We still have some sugar in the form of chocolate. We have chocolate chips in our trail mix and often have 1/3 of a chocolate bar each after dinner. Other than that, our only sweetener is honey which we use in moderation.

Physically, the only changes that I've noticed is that I lost a bit of weight around my middle (~8 lbs) and I also lost a bulge or tightness in my lower abdomen that did not seem to be fat, but protruded a bit more than I thought was right. Our Rolfer theorized that it was inflammation in my gut that was alleviated by the new diet and that seems as good a theory as any. One other change that I've noticed is that my appreciation of the foods that we eat has grown. My wife is an excellent cook and I have always enjoyed what we eat, but it seems to me that my enjoyment has deepened. For instance, I usually have a smoothie with breakfast. I especially notice the new appreciation with my morning smoothie at work. When I take my first sip of smoothie, I feel like giving vent to a deep sigh of contentment. I take it as my body's approval of the food that I am giving it. Interestingly, I only noticed this feeling regarding the smoothie after our milking doe had her baby and we had fresh, raw goat milk to add to our smoothies again. Over the winter when we were making smoothies with grape juice, I did not have such a strong reaction. I have not noticed any adverse reactions.

My smoothie (I have feel good just thinking about it.):

• 1 banana
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup raw goat milk
  • 2 oz each of: blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Tags: health food energy