Author Topic: Another Team HillRunner.com possibility: Hank Aaron Run  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Another Team HillRunner.com possibility: Hank Aaron Run
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »
Anyone notice that I seem to have a one-track mind today? Is there any interest in fielding a Team HillRunner.com for the Hank Aaron State Trail 5K in mid-August? Start/finish in front of the Sausage Haus at Miller Park. Tough team competition here again but it's a fun race and a good chance to test yourself heading into the fall racing season. Also, nice awards.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Re: Another Team HillRunner.com possibility: Hank Aaron Run
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:17 AM »
This is pretty good timing before Al's.  I might have a race in June, July, Aug and Sep!
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
It is good timing for a tune-up for a lot of fall races. It's also become a very good event all around. As with the relay, I wouldn't count on bringing the trophy home any time soon but that's not always what these team events are about. I am quite sure we could field a team that would do well in the team rankings and it's a fun team event.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:24:25 AM »
I haven't heard of a lot of interest in this race but I'll ask one more time since I'm planning to be there, either as an individual or as a member of a team. If we can get at least 8 runners (team minimum), I can pick up half of the entry fees so you can get in for $10 each. With enough advance notice, I can also make sure we have enough singlets/shirts so all team members can have a HillRunner.com singlet or t-shirt for race day.

Offline Ed

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
I am interested in a team event at Hank Aaron.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 06:33:17 AM »
Anyone else? They have a minimum team size of 8 so we'd need 6 more to field a team.

Offline trivianut

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »
My employer actually offers to pay my registration for the race (the start is 1/4 mile from where I work). Alas, my son has to be out of his apartment in Madison that day, so I have to pass. :(

Offline Ed

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:45:12 AM »
How "trail" is this run?  Will I get a good indication of my fitness level or will the time be off too much to judge training needs for Al's?

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:34:04 AM »
It's all paved, most of the course is on the roads. Starts in front of the Sausage Haus, loops around the north and east perimiter of the Miller Park parking lots, then heads east on Canal Street, under the 35th Street viaduct and up toward 27th Street. After turning around, it does hit the trail for less than a mile but it's a paved trail that follows the Menomonee River.

It's a course that has frustrated me. I have yet to run under 17 minutes there though I was within a handful of seconds at least twice but I don't think it's all that slow of a course. I think my troubles breaking 17 there are mostly due to the typical August heat, the fact that I'm usually in the middle of hard training and the fact that I haven't yet worked out the best racing strategy for this course and competition.