Author Topic: Sunrise Stampede 10K, 38:04 -- Better'n Bolder  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
Sunrise Stampede 10K, 38:04 -- Better'n Bolder
« on: June 11, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
For the first time in my many years living here, I opted to race the Sunrise Stampede 10K. My Bolder Boulder this year was certainly subpar - getting held up in the crowds, I was late to the start and officials had me start a few waves behind the wave I had qualified for - and so I was hopeful that I could race better in a less crowded race.

At ten dollars for basic entry fee, this race is a great bargain. Though the streets were not closed to traffic, there was apt traffic control and the neighborhood streets that primarily comprise the course were lightly trafficked at that hour and easy enough to navigate and run tangents, which is tough even on the closed streets on the Bolder Boulder route. There is no chip timing yet chip timing is not important to me -- I have a watch to take my own splits, if I want (though splits on cc and road courses mean little to me so I tend to not bother), and there are timers there to get my finish time. As my enthusiasm for races like the Bolder Boulder wanes, races like the Sunrise Stampede provide a refreshing contrast and alternative.

After getting momentarily stuck behind a pair of elder statesmen at the start, I got into a good rhythm and picked off some of the first mile heroes. I pushed up to about sixth and worked my way through the hills. The course proved far more challenging than I presumed it would be -- much like Bolder Boulder, it is certainly an honest course. Shortly before reaching Lakeshore Drive and McIntosh Lake, the top masters runner caught up to me and I was able to work with him for the next couple of miles. He started to drop me in the fifth mile yet nearly made a wrong turn so I reestablished contact. However, it was clear by that point that I was not going to make up that gap entirely to make a pass. Two-time Canadian/UK Olympian (and yes, former Badger) Kathy Butler stayed in our sights the entire way yet she got out well enough in the first 5K and maintained enough to remain well clear. The gradual downhill to the finish was so nice though the final ~500m on the track felt really slow. I finished up as seventh overall, fifth guy, and first in my age group, in 38:04. I am happy with it and glad to have some relevant racing feedback (burned too much energy on the course speeding up, slowing down, and moving laterally to pass at the Bolder Boulder to put any stock into that result). Great to see some familiar faces there, to boot. I have to give mucho credit to the folks at the Wednesday morning group run at the Boulder Res (Brian, James, Marc, Ryan, Paige, and the rest who show up regularly) and especially to my training partner, Shannon, for helping to reinvigorate my routine after so much downtime for injury in the past twelve months by providing constructive, consistent challenge to improve my fitness. I am majorly stoked for Shannon, who finished in third and scored some prize money against some solid competition.

Next up might be a 5000m at the BRR all-comers meet next Thursday and/or Fourth of July race(s), Superior's Downhill Mile and/or Avery's Four on the Fourth.

(No photos from this race yet so I will throw one up from BB.)

http://fleetfeetboulderracing.blogspot.com/2011/06/bettern-bolder.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:51:10 PM by Andrew A. »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Sunrise Stampede 10K, 38:04 -- Better'n Bolder
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »
Good job, sounds like you battled tough out there.

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »
Good job, Andrew. That sounds like a fun race.
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »
Excellent job.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline cesar

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »
Great race!! it seems that the training is going really well!! As long as I can recall this is your very first race report here 8) .

Offline Wilson

• My Blog - Northern Lights
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »
Nice run! I haven't checked in here for a while. Sunrise Stampede is a good race. Women's top list is kind of a who's who!

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »
Thanks, all!
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Tags: race report