Author Topic: Cheeshead Chase 5 mile race report  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Cheeshead Chase 5 mile race report
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
I will expand upon this report later - I have very little time but wanted to get the basics down.  Had a bit of trouble locating the starting area but found it and checked in.  Got my number on and did a 15 minute warm up.  Was sweating pretty hard and that made me concerned about the race.  It was very warm - if not hot.  I was well hydrated so that eased my concerns a bit.  Lined up at the front of the starting line and talked a bit with someone - found out there were some pretty tough hills (yipee.)  At the start took off pretty hard - trying not to get concerned with the 2 mile runners but they were mixed in so it was hard.  Hit mile one in 6:13 - too fast most likely was thinking more in teh 6:30-6:40 range but I was feeling ok so I only backed off a hair.  Hit mile 2 at about 12:40 - too slow for how I was feeling so I picked it up a tiny bit.  I do not remember now what the times were at mile 3 or 4 but I knew I was well on my way to the goal pace or a bit better.  After the hills I thought it would be all good - but - we then had a headwind - not much but enough to not let me feel the relief of having no hills.  The last mile was full of turns and I was concerned that it was slowing me down so I gave a bit more effort.  As I came down the final stretch I saw the clock and realized that with an all out kick I could go sub 32 so I gave it all I had left.  31:58!!!  7th place overall and 2 in my age group.  Very happy with that performance and now I look to Al's with hungry eyes for the relatively flat course and most likely cooler weather!!
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Double

Re: Cheeshead Chase 5 mile race report
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »
Comeback of the year!

My experience with sweating is when your in good running shape you tend to perspire faster or sooner than when not in shape.
I would not consider this a bad sign at all and the race certainly indicates this.
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
Nice racing!
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »
Good job, Ed. I believe this is a faster pace than your 5K a month ago, right? You're making good progress. Though I expected to see some good gains in this past month given where you are in your training, I wasn't quite expecting that.

As for the sweating, nothing to fear. Double is right on. Heavy sweating is a sign that you are fit and acclimated to the heat. Consider it a good thing. Just keep ensuring you're well hydrated.

Offline Ed

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »
Exactly - a month ago my 5K pace was 6:40ish.  I am seriously believing that a sub 30 even if it is 29:59 at Al's is a strong possibility.  Two months to drop 23 seconds per mile on a flatter, faster course with the likelyhood of more favorable weather. :)

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:13:05 PM »
It's a tall order but don't rule anything out. Keep plugging away and you might be a sub-30 Al's Runner come September.

Offline Ed

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:29:28 AM »
I know it will take some very hard work, good racing conditions the day of the race and a nearly perfectly executed race.  BUT - it is with-in reach.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »
Agree, it's a stretch goal but I was worried after that 5K to be honest about even having it out there as that. Now, with the benefit of knowing some of the details behind your performance, I can see the path there.

Offline Double

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 08:58:01 PM »
Ed, run your workouts with a purpose.  Know what you are supposed to do that day.  Remembering that the whole body of work depends
on how well you execute the plan.  Jimmy Connors the tennis player was coached by his Mother.  When he was young, she never let him
play more than 10 - 15 minutes at a time.  She had him stay super hungry.  Follow the workouts closely and don't try and grab too much
lightning from the bottle.  Live for another day...but when you get the chance to race uncut the bomb.  One of my favorite race quotes of
all time is, "Secretariat is moving...like a tremendous machine."  Like one commentator said that day, "God must have whispered in his ear
and He said "Go." "  Do likewise.

Offline Ed

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 06:36:12 AM »
This is great advice Double - I am so tempted to push the workout harder than it is meant to be BUT I am exercising some restraint and trying to stay true to the scheduled workout.  I have another race coming up in August and I will try to imagine God telling me "go" and see what I am able to unleash that day.  Two months until Al's and the question is - how much can I prepare and train for in that time frame?  Time will tell.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 06:50:21 AM »
Double, that's something I've been stressing to Ed. He hasn't done a single workout this year that was intended to leave him crawling back into the house and I remind him of that every week. My usual line: "you should feel like you could do at least one more repeat after you have finished this workout" or something similar.

Ed may get to do a couple gut buster workouts in late August or early September, we'll see how things play out, but until then there will be constant reminders to throttle those workouts appropriately. As I'm constantly reminding him, he wants to peak for Al's Run, not a little 5 miler in July or a workout in early August. Those gut buster workouts will, depending on where you are, either bring you to a quick peak or push you over the edge. When 2 or more months out from your goal race, neither is a good thing.

Offline Ed

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 07:12:34 AM »
I must practice patience.

Offline Double

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »
Ed, your in good hands.  The other thing is your sort of on the front end of this thing.  Ryan and yourself will figure out the
little things which might be injected in or altered later.  You are a certain type of runner it's just figuring out what that is.
Ed, I saw your South Shore run, I know you have the wheels.  I saw how you were able to gut it out over in Madison.  My
gut tells me you have the propensity to to get faster by running the miles.  I know, doesn't everyone?  Well yes, but you seem
to be one who gets stronger quicker because you recover faster...naturally.  Pski was this way.  I may have had more pure speed,
but he recovered faster than I did.  So I think your biggest up tick is the bread and butter miles.  Those alone are making you into
an aerobic juggernaught.  Ryan will be able to help you put the final pieces in.  Eventually, you will figure out exactly what pace to
run just by the feel and a little bit of watch monitoring.  I see a lot of Pski in you, but with a touch more speed you can develop.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 06:14:06 AM »
I see a lot of Pski in you, but with a touch more speed you can develop.

Pski with a little more speed sounds like a dangerous combination but I concur. I wanted to get Ed's volume and consistency in place, not just because I believe that is a basis for success for nearly everyone but also because I do think Ed is a Pski-like runner (and a bit like me, I'm another who always thrived on that - the more the better). Ed thrives on that base when he's getting it in consistently, as we saw with that South Shore run. Then, it's a matter of pulling the right strings at the right times with the right workouts to maximize the benefit. Most important and the reason I keep stressing this with Ed, though, not overdoing those workouts, which could result in consistency issues.

Offline Ed

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 08:58:38 AM »
I am probably obsessing too much about consistency - it is so in my mind and the danger in that is having one or two misses turn into weeks.  I am learning that a day or two missed is not so bad and the faster I get back out there – the less they matter.  This is helping – I have four good months in now.
I also worry about pace – am I overdoing it.  To focus on this I am thinking about Ryan’s words of wisdom and letting my body tell me that answer.  Could I have either gone faster or longer on that last run?  If yes - then not overdone. 
My goals are huge – but if I don’t aim really high – I will miss out on my full potential and the thrill of flying through a race.  Beating people half my age or on CC teams really feels good. ;D