Author Topic: Races I plan to race in this year.  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Races I plan to race in this year.
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:30:30 AM »
I think I have my races picked out for the year finishing with Al's Run as a part of Team Hillrunner.  I plan on only four races this year.

A 5K in May - Cupcake Run in Bayside, WI
A 5K in June - Silver Lining in West Bend, WI
An 8K in July - Fish Day (a very competative event) my hometown Port Washington, WI
Al's Run in September - also a very competative event in Milwaukee, WI

If all works out this year I plan to race a half marathon in spring of 2013 and go for a new PR.

What races do you have planned for 2012?
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Races I plan to race in this year.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »
Ed, nice to see you set a schedule. Now, it's time to buckle down and get ready for it.

As for me, I already did that 5K a couple weeks ago. I'm eyeing the Deer Run on April 28th, undecided between the 10K and 5K but leaning toward the 10. I might take May off from racing and consider the West Bend race you have your eye on and Walleye Run 6 days later in Fond du Lac.

After that, I'm not so sure. I like Fish Day but it kind of has a been there, done that feel to it for me now. There's a 10K in Cedar Grove about a week later that I haven't done in a few years. Hank Aaron is another one I really like and I feel like I have some unfinished business there but it also has a little of a been there, done that feel to it.

I was thinking of the Eisenbahn half this year but I see they moved the date to June 10th instead of the late August timeframe it used to be. That puts it a week after that 5K in West Bend and the day after Walleye Run, which pretty much rules it out.

As for the fall, it might be my usual schedule: Stout alumni meet, Al's Run, then the small 5K to close out the year.

I would like to do something different this year, though. I have my eye on the track a bit. Maybe Badger State Games, though I've heard the competition there is not always all one would hope for in terms of numbers or paces. The USATF masters (30+) T&F Championship is in Illinois, not too far from my cousin's home, though. That might be an interesting way to mix things up.

Offline Anne

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:26:14 AM »
My running plans include:

April-Oshkosh Half Marathon
May-Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
June-local 5K
August-Paavo Nurmi (relay)

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
Anne, I love the Paavo relay. Haven't done it in over 10 years but I remember it being a lot of fun. Enjoy!

Offline Anne

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:53:47 AM »
Ryan, this will be my 6th year at Paavo, it's one of my favorite races in spite of the heat, hills & humidity.  It helps that there's such a large group of people from our running group who participate, there's always a familiar face on the course.

If it's been over 10 years for you, I'd say it's time you return!

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
It was definitely a fun event and, for a city the size of Hurley, nice support by the locals. I might have to find a relay partner or 4 and head up that direction. Maybe make a short family vacation out of it. It is about the same time as another possibility I had on the radar, though. USATF masters is also in early August and I really miss the track.

I'm seriously thinking I have to pencil myself in for something I haven't done in a while in early August. Whether it's Paavo or a track race, I'm split at the moment.

Offline Charlene

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Ryan  I really wish that they would have moved Eisenbahn to the fall instead of having it in June.  It would be a beautiful race to have in early October. 

My plans this year are the Prairie Du Chien Half on May 5th, the 10 mile Syttende Mai  2 weeks later, a Wisconsin Dells 5k in June and then the 5 mile Walleye.  I have not planned out beyond Walleye. 

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »
I can see why they would want to avoid the competition of October but, for a Y affiliated event to go a week after a Boys & Girls Club affiliated event in a city that isn't all that big just seems like bad timing. There are only a handful of races in West Bend all year long. Crowding another one seems unnecessary and unwise.

That's quite the May/June schedule. I hope it goes well and I'll see you in Fond du Lac in June.

Offline Lighty

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »
The races I have planned so far:

Boston - April 16th
Leesburg 20K - August 19th (maybe... that might not work with Annapolis one week later)
Annapolis 10 Miler - August 26th (I like heat, hills and humidity  ;D)
Richmond Marathon - November 10th

After Boston, in May or June, I want to do a couple of shorter races, like a 5K and a 10K.  A track race might be fun if I can find one.  Although around here I'll surely get my butt kicked by all the fast 40-50+ women.

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »
We're reducing our budget this year and for now, I only have planned races for which I won free entry last year. In the last half of the year, we may open our budget a bit to include more racing, but for now, I only plan four races:

April 29: Trolley Run (4 miles)
July 7: Eudora Horsethief Run (5K)
Fall TBD: 15K
November 4: Cliffhanger Run (8K)

We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
I believe it was John Lennon who quipped that "life is what happens while we are busy making plans."  8)
A medial glute issue and then bruised ribs have led me to nix the BolderBoulder for this year.  Might run one or both of the other 10Ks (Sunrise Stampede, Grand Prix) that I ran last summer, plus one or both of the local July 4th races (downhill mile, 4K).  I have more of an interest in the all-comers meets here (starting in early June, 3000m-10,000m range) as well as the downtown race series (3K in July, mile in August, possibly one more TBD) for the summer.  Then the fall marathon in October that I mentioned previously (Prairie Fire in KS or Monument in NE) and club cross in December.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:29:30 PM by Andrew A. »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Tags: Race running Run win place