Author Topic: Great running week for me.  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
Great running week for me.
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »
This was my first full week of running since my surgery and it was a great week.  Ran everyday and got in 37 miles.  The pace was pretty good as well averaging 8:05 over the 37 miles.  Really looking forward to the next several weeks of training and see where things go from there!

Anyone else have a good week?
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Charlene

Re: Great running week for me.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
I had a good week.  I did my usual  60 miles.  Most of my miles are ridiculously  slow and easy but I had a nice hilly 15 with a few 1 min surges in the last 3 miles.  Thursday I attempted a 3x2 mile at guesstimated current 10k pace.   It went very well but not quite perfect as I changed it to 2X2 mile and 2x1 mile as I needed to break up that last interval to stay on pace without becoming a workout hero.  I walked about 2 or 3 minutes between each and about 1 min between the 1 mile ones.  I know other people jog their recoveries but I walk mine and don't plan to ever change. I did 12:57, 12:57, 6:32, and 6:27.  Today I did a 5 mile tempo at 6:42.  It did not feel quite as easy as last week's tempo at the same pace felt but then wind was a factor and last week's speed workout was not as challenging as this weeks.

Ed-  You are off to a great start but be patient these next few weeks.   

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »
Ed, just remember. Pace isn't everything right now. You're doing well but don't run yourself into the ground.

Charlene, good job. The usual 60, that to me means consistency. That's big for any runner. Those are some big workouts, also. 3x2 mile at 10K pace is a huge workout. You're right on with that, no need to be a workout hero.

For me, the first 5 days of this week were the final 5 days of a cutback so nothing exciting. Today, I got in probably my best long run of the year so far. 15 hilly miles at just sub-7 pace. Not the longest of the year and not the fastest of the year but tied for the hilliest, close to the longest, close to the fastest and I felt good. Things are coming around and I needed that cutback.

Time to see what Ed has been up to this week and finalize his plan for next week... :)

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
Keep it up, Ed!

Chronic medial glute tightness plus bruised ribs (from a fall a little over a week ago) hampered my week, to say the least.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline cesar

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
Shin splints have hampered my week more than a month ago!! I am running around 3-4 times per week!!

Cesar

Offline Wilson

• My Blog - Northern Lights
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
I'm transitioning from xc ski focus to running. This takes a few weeks. I ran 5 times for 33 miles and skied 3 times for another 26 or so. Running was mostlly easy, but threw in some surges on Tuesday (25 to 45 sec) and Friday (1:30 to 1:50). Did a very tough 4 X 1.2 K ski relay on Wednesday, ending the race season, and 24 min at threshold on Saturday. There's a 5K run next Saturday, but I'm starting to hedge against it. Rather than just jumping from running to skiing, taking a few extra weeks to get my legs back. Plus there's still 2-3 ft of snow on the ground and it's icy and I probably have coaching duties in conflict with race time. 

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »
Looks like a number of us had a good week and an equal number have some injury issues.  I hope those of you with injuries can come back nice and strong - you have in the past so I believe that you will do so this time as well.

I have a pretty bad chest cold with soar throat.  I had a slightly soar throat all last week but it didn't seem to interfere with my running.  This chest cold has me coughing but not while I am running at least not this morning - ran a nice five miler in 42:25 - see Ryan, the paces are slowing  ;D
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Anne

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
Another 60+ mile week for me, I haven't run this kind of mileage since training for Boston several years ago & so far everything is feeling good. My week consists of easy miles on the trails, strength & speed days and a long run on the weekend.  This time I'm doing a few things differently, one being the long run & tempo work is done on the roads instead of trails.  I feel like the feedback I get from the roads is better then on the trails & since my marathon is run on the street, I think my legs will be better adapted to the pounding.   Before I'd take the day after the long run off, this time I'll run 6-8 miles easy the day after, seems to help with recovery.    I'm also running a mid week run of 14-15 miles, I never did that before & it seems to benefit my overall endurance. 

Having taken a break from the marathon for a few years has really helped with my attitude regarding training, I'm enjoying it & look forward to what each day brings.     

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
I had a very good week last week finishing with my highest weekly mileage so far this year.

I had struggled since the last week of January due to a minor injury in late January followed by an illness, and then some struggles with allergies. My training has been very up and down since then. Last week and this week were both 60+ miles -- the first time that has happened since January. I am also starting to feel about as fit as I was feeling then. I have not been doing workouts consistently since January -- though some of my runs have been at a fairly quick pace. This week, I ran two workouts and a long run. Tuesday included 3x5 min @ 5K effort with 3 min recovery. Friday included three sets of 30s on/30s off for one mile. Which turned out to be 3 sets of 6x30s with 30s recovery. The recovery portion was slower, but was not really easy. Miles were covered around 5:50, 5:40, and 5:30. The time progression is probably more a result of course hilliness than any increase in effort on my part. On Sunday, I ran 16 miles with the first half @58 and the last half @52. Often, I do not wear a watch, but this time I had promised to be back home at a specific time and so I wore my watch. With about 10 miles to go, I realized that I was running behind schedule and from that point, the run became a progression run -- starting around 7:00 pace and dropping below 6:00 for the last mile.

Significant to me, my Sunday run included the hill on which I had incurred the freaky calf injury back in January. Even though there was no reason to think that I might be injured there again, I felt some trepidation until after I had passed that point in the run. In January, I was beginning to feel very fit and fast. I am starting to feel that way again and I look forward to running the Trolley Run in a couple of weeks to see how my fitness compares to last year at about the same time. I think that I may well be fitter than last year despite the questionable two months of training in February and March.

Great job, Ed! Good luck recovering from your sore throat and cold. I read recently that exercise -- but not too strenuous -- can help relieve cold symptoms. Thanks for starting this thread. Cesar and Andrew, Good luck with your recoveries. Everyone else, great job!
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Tags: Run running