Author Topic: Morton's Neuroma surgery  (Read 7017 times)

Offline snsr33

Morton's Neuroma surgery
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:40:55 PM »
I've been plagued by Morton's Neuroma for almost three years.  I've tried custom made orthotics in my running shoes and have had at least 10 cortisteroid injections in the joint.  At first the injections helped but now they do nothing to relieve the pain.  Just walking around is painful.  My doctor and I have discussed surgery but I'm so hesitant to do it.  First of all I'm afraid of what the numbness in that area will feel like post-surgery and the thought of no exercise for an extended period of time makes me ill.  Thoughts?  Personal experience?  Suggestions?

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Morton's Neuroma surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:08:54 AM »
Sorry, I don't personally have any experience and apparently others also don't. However, a member of the forum is trying to respond but appears to have trouble posting. He asked me to ask the following in response:

Is the surgery from the top or the bottom?  This is a last resort there will be side effects with this surgery.

Offline SF/John

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »
First you need someone with a lot of experience removing neuromas.  Generally podiatrist do this surgery much more then orthos.  If possible you want the surgery from the top.  The numbness is generally a side effect, but not in all cases.  Do you have a bunion on the neuroma foot?

Offline scottwelsch

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
I had the sugery done in my left foot.  Be very careful with your decision.  There is no longer running pain in the foot, but it now always feels as if there is a small marble in the area where the nerve was removed.  It can sometimes become distracting when running.  I also need to get the same thing done in my other foot, but I think I may hold off and consider which is worse...the pain or the marble...

Recovery took quite awhile.  Be prepared to not run for at least 3 months.  I had mine done in the winter to compensate for the 3 months of downtime (I live in the cold midwest).  I had an AWESOME surgeon.  She is also a runner.  That's very important.  John is correct...you want them to go in and remove from the top. 

The numbness in the area is really no big deal at all.  I don't even notice it. 

Hope everything turns out okay!

Tags: neuroma Morton