Author Topic: 10 running things about me  (Read 12448 times)

Offline Double

10 running things about me
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:01 PM »
1.  Won my first high school track race (2 mile).
2.  Tied for first in the mile in high school with my kid brother my senior year.
3.  Ran cross-country in college at Slippery Rock. 
4.  Ran my first 100 mile week in summer of 1978. 
5.  Ran my first marathon at Penn Relays in 1980. 
6.  Ran first ultra in 1999 at 50k Nationals.
7.  Marathon PR is at Boston in 2002.
8.  Won the Walleye Weekend 5 mile in 2002! 
9.  Current member of Al's Run Corporate Team Champions from 2012. 
10.  Double crossing of Grand Canyon in 2009.
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: 10 running things about me
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:47:46 AM »
Wow, I didn't know some of those things. Fascinating. I'll keep this going:

1. Finished dead last in my first organized race, a 7th grade 800
2. Was part of a 1-2-3 sweep at conference cross country my senior year (I was 3, senior teammate 1, freshman teammate 2)
3. Was part of a distance events sweep at conference track my senior year (I won the 3200, teammate won the 800/1600 double)
4. My first coach was the legendary Dan Conway, still a huge influence in my life, running and non-running
5. Ran cross country and track at UW-Stout, was a solid mid-pack runner in the WIAC but nothing special
6. First 100 mile week: spring break 1996 (my freshman year at Stout)
7. Finished third in my first marathon (2002 Lakefront)
8. Finished second at the Walleye Weekend 5 mile in 2002 :)
9. Current member of Al's Run Corporate Team Champions from 2012
10. Started HillRunner.com out of a dorm room in 1999

Offline Double

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
Interesting...10 more:
1.  I once ran a race to finish dead last to see what it was like...the ambulance right behind me.
2.  At the PA State Farm Show in Harrisburg, PA I went out for a run early and found a huge box of cigars packed
in those little boxes.  I grabbed 3-4 and ran back to the hotel.  My Dad said, "Were's the peanuts?"
3.  I used to run a 20 miler in HS on Saturday in the summer and never gave it thought to take anything with me.
4.  I used to go run in the summer from my Dad's place and get lost after a couple hours.  Eventually I would ask someone
to use their phone and call Dad.  He was a lineman for the power company and knew the whole county.  He always got a kick
out of how far I would end up away from home.
5.  I have found several wallets and phones over the years and was usually succesful in finding the owner.  Some grateful
and some I got the sense they though I stole their money.
6.  I had to go get a farmer one time because his cows got out.
7.  I had to go to court one time because someone tried to run us over.  To the extent he was driving up through 2-3 people's
yards chasing us down.
8.  In college I hitched to a concert and was in some dinky town 85 miles from home not knowing which way to go.  I found
and old gas station and there was a guy underneath a car working on it.  It was my HS cross-country coach.
9.  At the 100k Nationals one year I was battling with the then American record holder for 24 hours.  We went through 80k in 5:58:04.  He beat me by like 4 minutes, but I laid it out anyway.
10.  I had one of those magic days about 10 years ago on a training run.  No taper, not enough sleep, tired from the miles.  Was doing a 20 miler and ran 6:28 pace out and 6:08 pace back.  I just couldn't tire myself out.  It was awesome!
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
Some are rather wordy ...

1. I was pushed by my junior high coach to high jump rather than run 800m. But, I practiced running everyday anyway because of my dad's story about beating his older brother in the 880 in high school. He did not want to pass my uncle. He urged my uncle to go catch the other guy, but finally had to go do it himself.
2. I went out for cross country on a whim when met two classmates who were planning to go talk to the high school coach after school. (Ours was the first 9th grade class to attend new middle school instead of the high school next door). The funny thing was that I rarely socialized with those two guys so it was just a fluke that I spoke to them that day and went out for cross country that year. I was a little late getting home to go to the lake with my family and I went on my first run that Labor Day weekend at the lake. But, in general, I rarely trained outside of an organized practice. I ran one JV meet, improved my 2 mile time by 2+ minutes over the course of the year, and was the third runner at the regional meet.
3. The coach that formerly slotted me for the high jump let me run the following track season. He liked setting up mini competitions in practice and once had me racing against some high school sprinters. One or two of the sprinters dropped out after the second lap. On the final lap, the one remaining sprinter dropped and another jumped in relay style. It was a very close finish, but coach gave me the win.
4. Though I was very out of shape, I had an incredible run in Germany in the late 90's while I was there for National Guard. I asked permission to go to work late that morning so that I could run a 5K. I thought that it would be cool to have a race T-shirt from Germany. When I showed up, the race had been cancelled and I was invited to run 10 miles with some regular army people (2 women and 1 man). Though I suspected that I should probably get back to work, I decided to take them up on it. We ran 10 miles on some incredible pine needle covered trails and though I was hurting very badly in the middle, I got a second wind and finished strong. That is my best memory from the trip. The best moments in life are those that you're too busy living to stop and take a picture. Same trip, different run, I got lost and wandered onto a property where an armed German security guard came out of a guard house. We did not speak each other's language, but eventually, I pointed back the way I had come and he nodded.
5. I weighed a hefty 225 in June of 2000. (I probably peaked higher than that a month later, but did not weigh myself often.) I married my wife that August and adopted my wife's healthier diet and very moderate exercise via walks and simply not spending as much time sitting in front of a computer. I started running again after my weight dropped to around 190 and it was not so uncomfortable to run. I returned to competition representing my company for a corporate challenge event the following spring and my competitive fires were reignited. Corporate challenge remains one of my favorite events. My company did not participate for a couple of years after some mergers, but I am happy that this year we are competing again and I especially look forward to competing on the track in preparation for the National Master's T&F meet in June.
6. I got lost on my first long run from my current home. I covered 27 miles instead of 20 and walked a lot once I became uncertain about how many miles I would end up running.
8. I most likely never exceeded 30 miles in a week in high school.
9. I knew that I could compete at the state level after placing 6th in cross country as a junior in high school. That December, I resolved to win a title at state track that spring, but those plans were sidelined by injury. I ran 4:30 for 1600m at the first meet of the season and then I was injured with a not completely diagnosed hip injury until the week before the league meet. Coach kept me out of the league meet and I trained hard for two weeks. I probably put more effort into it than I should trying to make up for the missed weeks. Try as I might I could not break 5 minutes for 1600m in practice. At regionals in the 1600m, I positioned myself just behind the right hip of the leader and we ran that way for 1500m -- a perfect race for a sit-and-kick type such as I was then. As we left the last turn, I kicked hard, but I watched out of the corner of my eye for the other guy to reel me in. I knew that I could not win because I was out of shape, but nevertheless I ran as hard as I could from my pursuer. But, he never showed and I won in 4:30. I also qualified for state in the 3200m -- placing third in a very painful race. In hindsight, I should have run the 800m rather than the 3200m. I ran state and placed 6th in at least one of the two races, but I do not remember my time. It was a very disappointing season considering what I had envisioned for myself.
10. I won the state 1600m and 3200m titles my senior year of high school. I might have done well in the 800m also, except that it was only my third 800m race and I had never learned to run in traffic. I panicked when I found myself boxed after 300m and wanting to move with 400m to go. By the time I was no longer boxed in, I was in last place and finally recognized the mistake that I'd made by slowing down to get out of the box. With two medals, I must admit that I gave up when I saw that I would not be competing for the win. Perhaps if we had been competing for a team title, I would have pushed myself to get whatever points I could. But, we had a very small track team. (Most of the best athletes in school played baseball and softball in the spring.) Coach never talked about competing for team points. It is funny that my 20 points alone put us ahead of some schools that we never could place ahead of at smaller meets.

+1. Though I had won state titles, I walked onto my college team. The coach had spent his scolarship money, but I was treated like a scholarship athlete anyway. Some walk-ons were not treated so well, but it helps to have beaten a couple of his scholarship athletes. I had lost the competitive fire after high school. I enjoyed running and training and being part of the team in college, but racing was no longer important to me. I was not a big partier like some of my teammates who flamed out and never performed. I just lacked the drive that I once had. I had a couple of instances that showed me what might have been, but I found more injury than motivation. Looking back, I recall working very hard for someone who did not really care about competing, but the fact is that meets were not important to me and I found more injuries than motivation. Eventually, I quit after my second stress fracture. I enjoy racing now more than I did in college.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:45:57 PM by ksrunner »
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Charlene

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:05:54 PM »
1.  Last Friday stopped mid run and helped a Police officer shovel a driveway for the EMT.
2. Set my 5k PR of 18:44 after 3 children, after age 30, and only running about 30 miles a week.  Ran this time 3 different races. 
3.  2010 Walleye 5 mile Female winner
4. Won every single XC and track race in 8th grade
5. My running crashed and burned in HS after going through puberty the second time
6. raced 3 10 mile races and 3 5ks in that ridiculous red costume to make people laugh and just for the sake that it was ridiculous
7. Was once second overall in a tiny rinky dink race to a  Kenyan with a 13:50 5k PR
8.  After a binge runs home from the local tavern at bar time to avoid being cold
9. Have bribed my children with candy and toys to allow me to finish numerous track workouts
10. Is still improving and is gonna crush some stale PRs this year!

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »
10. Is still improving and is gonna crush some stale PRs this year!

Yeah!

It amazes me how often you seem to just have a chance encounter with people who need help. Lucky coincidences for those people in need of help.

Offline Wilson

• My Blog - Northern Lights
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:54:41 PM »
 Nice thread idea! 
1.  The first time I entered a 2 mile, soph in college, I won (XC's 8th man using big kick to beat XC's 1st man).
2.  Did not run in high school and did not run XC as a freshman in college.
3.  Ran cross-country and track in college at Grinnell. 
4.  Ran my first 100 mile week in January 1980, during winter break visiting Houston. 
5.  Placed dead last in my first two conference meets (880 y, freshman; 3 mile soph). 
6.  Ran All Conference and set school record in steeplechase debut as a senior.
7.  Marathon debut in Denver with a 2:35, 1983.
8.  Won the Niagara TAC road champinships 10K in 1990. 
9.  Still at it as a nearly 55 yr old masters runner (last year 5:03 mile; 1:19 half marathon). 
10.  Been moderator of a running forum for 5 years now, but it's gone completely Hobby Jogger. I quit!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:12:26 PM by Wilson »

Offline Wilson

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »
Wow, I didn't know some of those things. Fascinating. I'll keep this going:

1. Finished dead last in my first organized race, a 7th grade 800
2. Was part of a 1-2-3 sweep at conference cross country my senior year (I was 3, senior teammate 1, freshman teammate 2)
3. Was part of a distance events sweep at conference track my senior year (I won the 3200, teammate won the 800/1600 double)
4. My first coach was the legendary Dan Conway, still a huge influence in my life, running and non-running
5. Ran cross country and track at UW-Stout, was a solid mid-pack runner in the WIAC but nothing special
6. First 100 mile week: spring break 1996 (my freshman year at Stout)
7. Finished third in my first marathon (2002 Lakefront)
8. Finished second at the Walleye Weekend 5 mile in 2002 :)
9. Current member of Al's Run Corporate Team Champions from 2012
10. Started HillRunner.com out of a dorm room in 1999

Wow, that long ago? I thought it had been about 2001-02 when Mervs was blowing up to smithereens.

One more for me:

11. I've known Ryan and Andrew since 1998!

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »
April 5, 1999 was when I registered the domain. Site was up by completion of registration, which was a day or two later. Hard to believe it's been almost 14 years.

1998. Man, I start thinking about these dates and they seem so long ago. We're not old enough for these dates to be right, are we?

Offline Wilson

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 03:23:42 PM »
ahh you're still a pup! What are you now, 26? ;-)

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice? Add a decade to that. Whatever the number, I don't feel old enough to be saying I have a 14 year old website and I've been browsing/participating in running forums for nearly 18 years. Oh well, better than feeling too old to be saying that.

Offline Wilson

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »
18 years! That beats me by a couple. I subscribed to Track and Field Listserve in 1996 and got these email updates and discussions. Huge fights over the OT 1500s (Holmen vs. McMullen) and other sad races of the day, besides Kennedy and Williams who were bright lights of the era. RWOL competitive running forum was my first foray into actual message boards, although I lurked here and there at Cool Running and T'nField News ca. late 1997. Did you ever do the phone updates with Vic Holcheck? You'd dial a 800 or 900 number and get a 1 or 2 minute whoo woah.....excited updates from Bislett or Zurich.

I'm pretty sure my career sort of plateaued at the time message boards became commonplace.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »
Oh, I remember those updates. It was an 800 number. I was a broke college student, I couldn't have afforded to call a 900 number. I'd call that number whenever there was a meet and be so excited to hear the results! Oh, how tech has changed our lives.

I started browsing RW in 95 from a text based browser pretty much the day I arrived on campus at Stout. Of course, I spent some time on Merv after they branched from RW. In fact, I offered to host Merv here and it nearly was hosted here. The software for the first version of the forum here was even largely borrowed, with permission from Horace, from a copy of Merv he placed on this site before he found his own solution that didn't require anyone such as myself serving as a third party host. I did swing through the T&F listserv, T&FN and CoolRunning. I also remember RunChat as well as another running chat room (on CoolRunning maybe?), great wastes of time for a college student bored in his dorm room after all his homework was done and when he didn't want to go out to parties.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
Some interesting accounts to read here.
Here is what I have:
1. Started running, in earnest, the spring of my sophomore year in high school, 1989.
2. Was encouraged by the former cc coach, who was my then p.e. teacher, Coach Bailey.
3. Ran 1600m & 3200m that first year, was so repulsed by the long workouts and racing at both ends of each meet that I talked my coach into letting me run the 800m the following year.  Not a great plan, I was just bad in the 800m and concluded that I just was not cut out for track though I loved cross country.
4. Walked-on at both colleges (JUCO and then small D1 school) I attended, wound up with a small scholarship at each.  Got along well with my college coaches which probably planted the seed for wanting to coach years later.
5. Wound up at two programs with heavy foreign student-athlete presence, which also made a big impression on me.  Not only surrounded by a variety of world and cultural perspectives but also highly dedicated individuals who applied themselves diligently not only at the track but also in the classroom.  By contrast, significantly more of my U.S. teammates tended to slack off in one or both areas - I certainly did not attend Grinnell.  I tended to befriend my foreign teammates, they seemed far more interesting than drinking the Beast did.
6. Had some pretty accomplished teammates, the U.S. runners were state finalists/medalists in Texas and the foreigners were finalists in the W.C. and O.G., one even got bronze in the 100m in Sydney.
7. Still have not run a marathon.  I figure it just does not seem all that compelling on a participatory level.
8. Planning to race middle distance (800m-3000m) this summer on the track and to go to Masters Track Nationals in Kansas.
9. Favorite running film is "Running Brave." 
10. Favorite running book is "From Last to First."
Bonus: favorite running shoe was the old, split-tongue asics Gel Exult.  (Best I have run in within the past 12 months: the new Pearl Izumi E:Motion Road N2.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:30:34 PM by Andrew A. »
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:39:23 PM »
4.  Ran my first 100 mile week in January 1980, during winter break visiting Houston. 
In Houston why, chasing a woman? ;)
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
11. I've known Ryan and Andrew since 1998!
It's true, and I met Wilson when he still lived in Ft. Collins around 2000, before he loaded up the van and he moved his family to Beverly, er, Alaska.  His kids were tots at that time. 

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
6. raced 3 10 mile races and 3 5ks in that ridiculous red costume to make people laugh and just for the sake that it was ridiculous
If I may be frank, it's certainly not an unbecoming costume - hard to believe you've had three kids!

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »
I had lost the competitive fire after high school. I enjoyed running and training and being part of the team in college, but racing was no longer important to me. I was not a big partier like some of my teammates who flamed out and never performed. I just lacked the drive that I once had. I had a couple of instances that showed me what might have been, but I found more injury than motivation. Looking back, I recall working very hard for someone who did not really care about competing, but the fact is that meets were not important to me and I found more injuries than motivation. Eventually, I quit after my second stress fracture. I enjoy racing now more than I did in college.
Pretty much the same boat as you.  Though I liked my coaches and teams a lot, I just had more curiosity about the world in general than I did in running faster in races.  Plus I chose a challenging major.  I also think a heavy diet of intervals with little mileage for a base wound up contributing to many injuries, I did not have a good idea of functional training back then.

Offline Wilson

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 11:13:18 AM »
In Houston why, chasing a woman? ;)

I wish, although a strip club or two may have been involved. Coaches just let us take the vans and turned us loose on the town for a couple nights. That'd never happen today!

Another runner and I latched onto the swim team who would go down for about 2 weeks of winter training camp. We figured it would be warmer and a good time to get in a lot of miles. My teammate put in 200 that week. He did 30 a day for six days (either a 10 and a 20 or two 15s) and on the seventh he ran 20. Effin' nuts, but he did hold the school record for 2 mile and XC. I think I ran 105 and 116 and the swimmers thought I was a slacker.

Offline Lighty

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »

1. My first race was a 5K Turkey Trot that I ran with my boyfriend and his family at the age of 31.  I didn't know what training meant.  I ran about 25:30.  I thought running 3 miles without stopping was a long time to run.

2. After my second child was born I ran my first marathon.  I qualified for Boston... although I didn't know what that meant.  I found out  :)

3. I've run 10 marathons and 10 BQs.  11 coming up in April... (I'm being positive ;) )

4. I was bitten by a dog and wiped out on the sidewalk in the same week while running my usual neighborhood loop.

5. I made the start of the 2006 Chicago Marathon by a hair by running through a muddy park and climbing a fence into the preferred corral.  I flashed my bib (I was wearing a trash bag since it was drizzling and 35) at the officials on the other side of the fence and they just yelled, "Look out, runner coming in!"  That was my PR for 5 years.

6. I got stuck in the mob at the 2007 NYC marathon to check my bag before the race.

7. When I ran my first Boston, somewhere near the end, 2 young guys were cheering for me yelling "Go 14!"  It took me until I finished to realize they were referring to my bib number which was a 14,000 number and I was finishing with mostly 8 or 9,000 bibs around me.

8. My highest weekly mileage is 76 miles, so far.  I ran that in 5 days.

9. Another first Boston story; I stuffed so much crap into my bag that it broke and busted open on the sidewalk on the way to the T to go to the Boston Commons.

10. I ran my fastest marathon (so far) in 2011 at the age of 47 thanks to Ryan.  True story. And that's not the end of the story.  Stay tuned :-)

Tags: