Author Topic: KCCC 5K  (Read 8596 times)

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
KCCC 5K
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »
 Last Saturday, I competed at the Kansas City Corporate Challenge 5K. It was my first race of 2013. I headed into the race with less than desired training and a slight strain in my right quad that I did not want to aggravate into something bigger. I had been able to do some faster workouts without aggravating it, but I had avoided anything really fast. So, I knew that I would be fine, but I would not be able to give a massive kick at the end.  I would just have to run a controlled race through the finish line. My goal heading into the race was to win my age group and score points for the team. Based upon the previous year’s results, there are a couple of guys from Garmin who are pretty fast, but I still liked my chances and considered myself the age group favorite. One advantage that I had is that my company has not competed in KCCC for a couple of years and I might surprise some people.

Race day dawned cool and damp. The temperature was nice, but the damp might make footing slippery in places. I arrived a bit later than normal having placed a higher priority on sleep than on an early arrival. A coworker had picked up my packet and delivered it to me at work, so I had nothing to do other than take care of my normal pre-race routine. Our company coordinator had mentioned meeting before the race for a picture, but I did not see anyone and did not look too hard as I went about my routine.

At the start, I saw a few people that I knew. I did some strides and relaxed a bit. I thought that Eric might be someone that I would be competitive with and I lined up near him. One concern that I had was that scoring would be based on chip time rather than gun time, but the same rule applies to all so I cannot worry too much about it. It should not matter anyway. I also saw Carl, a runner that I’ve only ever competed with at corporate challenge. We have a friendly rivalry going. But, I knew that this year I had moved to the next age group ahead of him so even if Carl managed to beat me, it would not affect team scoring. Still, I did not plan to let that happen. I do not think that he remembered that there is one year out of every five that we’re in a different age group.
The race started and I set off in pursuit of Eric and remained close to him a little more than a quarter mile then he was leading a chase pack after the leaders. Around then, I considered surging to join that pack, but decided to just run my own race. As we passed the mile, I noticed that I was wearing my watch. It did not matter much since I had not started it. The course was an out and back course with a large wide median between the runners heading out and those making the return trip. I was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable and knew that the turn would be soon. Just after the turn, I avoided the aid station workers offering water and was passed by a guy who might be in my age group. Basically, he had a similar hairline to mine, but I have had a similar hairline since my 30s so it might be nothing. I stayed with him for a time, but eventually he pulled away a bit. I kept him in sight.
 The return trip was pretty uneventful. I gradually increased my pace, and closed the gap with the guy who might have been in my age group, but in the end I did not catch him. I did pass one guy on the way to the finish. The end result was 15th place overall,  1st in my age group (45-49, KCCC goes by age at end of year rather than current age), and a time of 17:42. I accomplished my goal of winning my age group and scoring points, but I think the fact that I did not feel safe giving a true 100% effort made for a less than satisfying overall experience. My time was a bit slower than I would have liked but not much slower than I expected. Eric told someone near the start that he would have liked a 16:30, but ran 17:13, so perhaps the course was a bit slow due to the wet pavement. There was a net climb on the way out and a net downhill on the way back, but there were no major hills. I would not be surprised to see some fast times on that course. It is interesting that few of the very fastest guys in the area run KCCC, but there seem to be a lot more people than normal who break 18. The top 21 broke 18. Most local races seem to have just a handful.  Three went under 17. So, it was relatively crowded running in the 17s.

My next races will be a mile and an 800m for KCCC on the track in the first week of June. I am looking forward to those. I am hoping that my quad is recovered by then. I am most interested in the mile, but I think that the 800m will be especially challenging for me and possibly a bigger strain on my quad.

At this point, I am no longer certain that I will run masters nationals. My priorities for this year are shifting to put more emphasis on setting up our land to raise more of our own food in the future and less about running. I think that it is a good shift and much more important in running for myself and my family. We've been reading Joel Salatin's books and we are excited about expanding our production and learning to do it sustainably. It seems ridiculous for us to be spending so much on groceries when we have 13 acres that we're hardly using.
We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Double

Re: KCCC 5K
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
Way to bring the mail. 
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 06:21:30 AM »
Great job!  You are really fast and I hope to get close to that some day.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 07:59:38 AM »
Impressive!
At this point, I am no longer certain that I will run masters nationals. My priorities for this year are shifting to put more emphasis on setting up our land to raise more of our own food in the future and less about running. I think that it is a good shift and much more important in running for myself and my family. We've been reading Joel Salatin's books and we are excited about expanding our production and learning to do it sustainably. It seems ridiculous for us to be spending so much on groceries when we have 13 acres that we're hardly using.
As one who has been reading Mother Earth News for most of my life, I am rather envious, hope that goes really well for you.  Perhaps you could blog about that and let us follow the progress.  Incidentally, I may be out for Masters Nationals, too.  Might still go, but it is also a lower priority for me, too.  Club CC in Bend, OR remains the primary focus of the year for me.  I also have a July 4th five-day weekend of camping and trails in the mountains of the SW part of CO in the works, so that might be my big summer trip.
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »
Great job out there, way to bring home the hardware.

As it seems Andrew is, I'd be interested in following your experiences in raising your own food. I only have a small piece of land but a little more seems to get converted to growing food each year. I'm always trying to learn more about growing your own food and the best ways to do so in a healthy, sustainable way.

Offline cesar

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »
Great race Steve!! Great idea in raising your own food!! you gotta take advantage of what you have!!

Offline ksrunner

• 2010 Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
Thanks for the running feedback and the garden/livestock interest.

With regards to the latter, I am willing to post about it, but I in this partnership with my wife, I am more of the laborer than the brain, but I am learning. She has shared much of her knowledge at our website.

Right now, we are reading Joel Salatin's books and trying to figure out how his lessons can apply to us in our smaller context. He's running a business, but we're mainly wanting to feed ourselves and through cutting costs and perhaps a bit of selling to allow my wife to quit her work away from the farm.

In the short term, we are moving our goats to different pastures more frequently. Ideally, we would do this with electric fencing, but we did not have funds available for purchasing anything, so we are making do by repurposing cattle panels that had been in use elsewhere. Joel likes to move his animals everyday, but in our case, we actually want our goats to destroy some of the shrubs and things that they like to eat to make room for more grass. So we might let them stay in the same area longer. We also have many fewer goats than he has cows.

Now that the goats are settling in again, our focus is shifting to the gardens. This weekend we planted broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, and some flowers. I also scavenged some lumber from an old barn on our property (It was too far gone to salvage when we moved in.) to build some small raised beds. The first was a hexagon bed 1' on a side for an ornamental herb. The second is a 2'x2' bed that will be the top tier of a tiered strawberry bed. The bottom tier was already built it was part of my daughter's flower garden last year and this year is being reallocated for strawberries.

I'm also working on digging up the post for an old satellite dish. It is in space that we intend to use for gardening. I've dug down about a foot below the concrete all the way around and cannot move the post at all. I would have thought that I should at least be able to create a little wiggle. I'm beginning to despair about how deep or heavy this thing might be.

In the future, I will post garden/sustainability related stuff in the non-running forum or a blog entry (should those be running related too?), but I thought I could get away with some non-running here since it is in response to previous posts and also related to why I'm reducing my racing schedule this year.  :)

We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves.
   - Sir Roger Bannister, former athlete

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
Post where you feel it fits best. In my opinion, these posts would be at least tangentially running related so the blog would fit if you would like to there. In the end, the blog is what you want it to be anyway. I'm going to be less strict about what topics show up there, though I don't want this to become a political website or something like that. Regardless, wherever you post, I'll look forward to following. I'll also be checking out your site. Thanks for the link.

Tags: race report