Author Topic: First Marathon, BQ  (Read 7438 times)

Offline pickupthepace

First Marathon, BQ
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:41:59 PM »
I'm going to be doing my first full marathon in a little over 2months from now.  I have a 5k PR of 18:21, consistently in the 18:36 range, also did my first half marathon back in Apr in 1:26:5x.. After the half I figure I could do decent in a full.. So I figured I'd give it a whirl. Which leads me to these questions:  I need a 3:10 marathon to BQ, am i capable of doing that? Been running 50-55mpw been doing some more long runs 15,17, gonna make sure i get a few 20's in before the marathon of course but i still have time..
Any input on this ? Mc Millan says I should be able to run a 3:02:53 but I'd like to be a little conservative in my first marathon.. Would like to think I could be in the 3:06-3:10 range dependin on weather..  Was actually hoping to BQ  first race, run Boston, and be done w/ the whole marathon thing. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: First Marathon, BQ
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
The calculator here suggests a slightly faster marathon time. However, you're right to be cautious. I usually warn people to use the calculator, then add at least 10 minutes. By that standard, you're right on the edge.

There are a lot of questions that could be asked right now. How important is this BQ to you? How would you feel about a 3:15? How would you feel if you went out at 3:10 pace and weren't able to finish? Dozens of training questions. In the end, I usually advise people to be very conservative with their first marathon goals and yours, as you recognize, is pretty aggressive.

If you're fully committed to that 3:10 and willing to accept the consequences, I'd say start out not a second faster than 3:10 pace. You're very close to being in a position where I would say it's likely you could hold it all the way. For most people, especially being your first marathon, I'd prefer starting at 3:15-3:20 pace and building from there if you felt up to it.

Offline pickupthepace

Re: First Marathon, BQ
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:03:15 PM »
Yea I'm trying to build a good base up til the end of Sep and thats' when the marathon is.  Is BQ that important well kind of but just being able to finish 26.2 miles after being 50lbs overweight 3 yrs ago is an honor in itself.  Just thought it would be nice to do a marathon, BQ, run Boston and be done w/ marathons.. I like the halves, 10k, 5k scene a little better.. Who knows tho maybe i'll find I really enjoy the marathon.
What worries me about lining up w/ the 3:10 pacer is that I wont have much leeway come the second half..   AS you were saying though I may not be able to finish at all.. so who knows?  Right now my long run is at 17 miles i'm going to get some 20's under my belt before then.. 
My half marathon was on a fairly challenging course as well.. So If i had a flat course perhaps i'd be a high 1:24 or maybe 1:25 but to hard to predict..  There are several questions racing through my head at the moment about the whole marathon.. I'm kind of apprehensive in taking the marathon plunge in itself..   
Haven't set my application in yet so there is still time to see if i'm where I wanna be.

Tags: