Author Topic: Back On My Feet Soon!  (Read 9668 times)

Offline RandyS

Back On My Feet Soon!
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:02:36 AM »
I'm a long time reader of this forum and have read Ryan's sage advise back to his days on a running magazine forum. I've been running for 15 years but would be considered a 'late onset' runner. I didn't get serious about running until my early 40's (I'm 57 now). I was never very fast (PR's of 6:00/mile, of 20:00/5k, 3:19/marathon; all in my late 40's) but had decent endurance.

By "decent endurance" I mean I never had a running injury (not counting a couple of bad falls on ice or potholes). Was a consistent daily runner (often going a year or more without a day off; my most recent "streak" was almost 5 years). I was not only consistent but did fairly high mileage (in my 40's 3000-4500 miles a year, in my 50's 2000-3000 miles a year).

Since turning 50 I've slowed a lot; and that trend has continued over the past 7 years! I was upset at first but eventually accepted it and became resigned that my PR's are now behind me. I was happy I could still do long, daily runs, for there own sake (and for the sake of my health, both mental and physical).

Then my running world crashed!

Early last fall I was on a morning run near the Great South Bay (Long Island) and decided to stop along the water front to take in the sunrise. There are guard rails to stop cars from driving into the bay and I've climbed over that one a hundred times over the years. This time a bolt head on the rail caught my toe as I jumped off. Instead of landing on my feet I did a 'split' in the sand (my 2 daughters are gymnasts; I think my split would have made them proud).

Anyway; I ended with a double hernia! At first I didn't know that; just figured it was a sprain; but each time I resumed running (that was the end of my 5 year streak too) the pain would return (usually after a week or two). I finally got diagnosed (via a CAT Scan) and will have laparoscopic surgery soon.

I've been told that after a few weeks I can return to my normal activities. On the top of my list of "activities" is a return to running! I'm certain I'll be a lot slower then I was even last fall. I once thought I would stop running when I couldn't maintain at least a 10 min/mile pace. I expect I'll be way slower than that but don't care. This has been a long, tough, winter and I miss my daily workouts! Wish I had it diagnosed sooner but looking forward to running this spring.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Back On My Feet Soon!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:07:46 PM »
Randy, I'm so sorry to hear about that incident. It's amazing how we often take things we do for granted until something like that happens. I look forward to hearing that you're back on the road and feeling strong.

Offline RandyS

Re: Back On My Feet Soon!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:29:22 AM »
I'm back! Kind of back anyway. Hernia's are behind me but running is nothing like it was before. A mile feels like a marathon. It's more of a shuffle then a run (11:00 min/pace). Legs have no spring and complain when I increase my stride length or rate.

It's going to be a long road back; frankly, the way I feel after my first post hernia week makes me wonder if I can reach 25 miles/week before fall.

I also need to get my diet under control! When I got the hernia's last fall I was running over 250 miles/month and eating based on that calorie burn. After the injury I basically stopped running (ran less than 100 miles in 2015 so far) but kept eating like before. Went from 150 pounds to 175 in 6 months! At my peek I was only 140 (at 5' 9" that was a little to 'little' and felt best overall at 150) but running with an extra 25 pounds is hard!

Now that the injury is healed I'm motived to drop the extra weight. From what I recall from Glover (think I read it in 'The Competitive Runners Handbook" a long time ago) each pound is about 2 sec/mile. Getting back to my old weight "should" get me under 10 min/mile all by itself!

Randy

Tags: