Author Topic: A great link -  (Read 13088 times)

Offline Bart

A great link -
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 07:10:07 AM »
Quote from: "Ed 1"
Also, do you remember the seven terrorist attacks against the US by Bin Ladin during the President Clinton era?  He promised to "hunt down and capture those responsible".  But what he actually did was spend ten times the money going after Bill Gates the greatest philanthropist of all time (donating billions of dollars).

Another example of Ed bashing Democrats instead of saying something positive about President Bush.  It's okay, Ed; I imagine making positive statements about President Bush isn't an easy task.  :wink:
http://runbart.blogspot.com/
Napa Valley Marathon - 3:06:39

Jed

A great link -
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 07:46:32 AM »
To the "Guest"  keep hiding.

Because being given a name makes a view valid?  Do you realize how stupid this looks?

Offline runnerdude

A great link -
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 08:19:37 AM »
His mind is closed and there's no sense in baiting the poor little thing except for cruel sport.

I know his mind is closed and he has some serious issues. I guess I've been guilty of baiting him for "cruel sport" because I've relished the though of Ed blowing a gasket when he read my posts!

Anonymous

A great link -
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 08:28:58 AM »
He promised to "hunt down and capture those responsible".  But what he actually did was spend ten times the money going after Bill Gates the greatest philanthropist of all time (donating billions of dollars).

Eddie, you've got no credibility here and your failure to support your claims only makes it worse.

I am glad you think it is easy to find a single human on the planet - you must have been great at hide-an-seek.  Actually you have been great at hiding.

And you're GREAT at hiding your simplistic little head in the sand.

Erica

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
A great link -
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 09:36:04 AM »
Also, do you remember the seven terrorist attacks against the US by Bin Ladin during the President Clinton era?  He promised to "hunt down and capture those responsible".  But what he actually did was spend ten times the money going after Bill Gates the greatest philanthropist of all time (donating billions of dollars).

And now we have someone spending billions of dollars claiming to go after bin Laden but really promoting Al Qaeda recruiting, which is at an all-time high, while forgetting all about going where Al Qaeda actually is.

As for Gates, if you think Microsoft's constant illegal actions should be overlooked because of the small percentage of its profits that it gives to charity, I guess you're free to have that view. Personally, I think law breakers should be penalized and I'm sick of Microsoft's anti-competitive practices choking off anyone who even threatens to compete, often by breaking the law and then offering a settlement in return for not going through a legal process that would bankrupt anyone but Microsoft. It's too bad that so many people do not understand the software industry enough to understand how much Microsoft has stalled the advancement of software, not to mention overpriced the software that is available. Of course, the whole Microsoft issue is another topic but let's just say it would be in the best interest of computer users around the world to have Microsoft put in its place.

Offline Ed 1

A great link -
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 12:28:59 PM »
I never said Microsaft should not have been punished - but has anything come from those billions of dollars geing spent?  

I wish that we could have taken the billions from that and from this Iraq war and updated our Country's infrastructure - and put some into our natural resources.  That would have been money better spent.  

That being said - how do we prevent the next 9/11 do we obey the terrorists like the Spanish did?  I really would like to know a way to do it.  Certainly its not complete pre-emptive activity on a world wide basis but what is the answer?
Last (first) Marathon Lakefront (2003) in Milwaukee WI 3:35:34, 1/2 mary PB 1:28:17
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Praying for the chance (schedule wise) next year to work for a sub three.

Offline Ed 1

A great link -
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2004, 12:36:26 PM »
This is my third request - can we give this a try?

So can we all start over and respond to a post I had about discussing each issue we see as important and come up with ideas to correct those issues? I would like to write to whomever wins the White House in November with those issues and ideas to solve them. If we an obviously spirited group can work together it could be the start of the Runner's Party. We would be better off with more than two party's in this Country like when our Founding Fathers founded it.
Last (first) Marathon Lakefront (2003) in Milwaukee WI 3:35:34, 1/2 mary PB 1:28:17
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Offline runnerdude

A great link -
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2004, 01:12:35 PM »
how do we prevent the next 9/11

well, we begin by listening to renowned experts such as Richard Clarke instead of sidelining them when their recommendations don't mesh with narrow political interests. Counter-terrorism is a pretty large topic, listening to those who are truly proficient in it is advisable.

Offline Ed 1

A great link -
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 01:14:54 PM »
I seem to recall about 100 posts or so ago - that we had some agreement on General Clarke.  But am I correct in assuming your response to working on issues together as a NO?
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Offline runnerdude

A great link -
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2004, 01:18:48 PM »
that we had some agreement on General Clarke

I think we did, but I was referring to Richard Clarke, the former anti-terrorist Czar who warned the Bush administration about impending terrorist attacks and was silenced. Please don't tell me that someone as well-informed as you are doesn't know about Richard Clarke.

Offline Ed 1

A great link -
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2004, 01:28:53 PM »
Your words have jogged my memory - I am in the middle of writing case notes - crises plans and making telephone calls.  The name Clarke jumped out at me and I thought about the General - but that is a Wes.  I do remember hearing about Rich & the administration not giving him enough consideration.  

I am concerned about either Republicans or Democrats listening to some experts.  Just recently Senator Kerry stated that the current leader of Iraq (these are not exact words) did not know what he was talking about, when refering to the current status in Iraq.  Bush ignores the wrong people and now so is the Senator.  How can this be?  Elected people need to listen to advisors and experts as well as the people.  They have all seemed to forget that the government is of the people, by the people and for the people.
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
A great link -
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2004, 02:38:02 PM »
I never said Microsaft should not have been punished - but has anything come from those billions of dollars geing spent?

You really don't know much about the software industry, do you? Microsoft has been forced to at the very least scale back on their anti-competitive actions, their monopoly has been at least to an extent lessened, and there is some progress being made toward a more competitive atmosphere. Unfortunately, Microsoft's powerful lobby prevented more large scale results. Much more benefit per dollar for the average citizen than what has come from Iraq and it didn't even require over 1000 American casualties.

Offline Ed 1

A great link -
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2004, 08:06:37 AM »
No I do not know much about the software industry that is your specialty -remember I am a social worker in the mental health field.  Are you skilled at preventing suicides?  I have prevented a number of them - that is where I have some skill.  Lets remember that some people have strenghths in some areas and others in yet other areas.  

Since you mentioned the benefit to America (Microsoft ((begrudginly)) allowing more competition) how about the benefit to the Iraqi people of no longer having rape and torture departments in the Sadam government?
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
A great link -
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2004, 09:30:53 AM »
No I do not know much about the software industry that is your specialty -remember I am a social worker in the mental health field.  Are you skilled at preventing suicides?

Many non-experts see the great benefits by putting Microsoft in its place. I never stated you should be an expert but your question came off as "that money could have been better spent" when I would argue it was very well spent.

Since you mentioned the benefit to America (Microsoft ((begrudginly)) allowing more competition) how about the benefit to the Iraqi people of no longer having rape and torture departments in the Sadam government?

So it is the job of American taxpayers to spend hundreds of billions of dollars (or are we up to trillions now?) to make sure everyone in the world is doing well? If so, why aren't we spending hundreds of billions of dollars to overthrow the many other oppressive regimes in the world? Why Iraq and not all the other countries with track records just as bad if not worse? Saudi Arabia has a horrible human rights record. When is Bush planning to invade them and liberate their people?

Offline Bart

A great link -
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2004, 10:56:59 AM »
Quote from: "Ryan"
So it is the job of American taxpayers to spend hundreds of billions of dollars (or are we up to trillions now?) to make sure everyone in the world is doing well? If so, why aren't we spending hundreds of billions of dollars to overthrow the many other oppressive regimes in the world? Why Iraq and not all the other countries with track records just as bad if not worse? Saudi Arabia has a horrible human rights record. When is Bush planning to invade them and liberate their people?

Ryan, I couldn't agree more.  The argument that Iraq is better off without Saddam in power is completely irrelevant.  I believe the people of North Korea and Cuba would be better off with a change of leadership.  When do we attack these countries?  

If I recall correctly, the purpose of attacking Iraq had nothing to do with improving the lives of the Iraqi people.  We attacked because of Iraq's dangerous stores of WMD and to make American lives safer.  Arguments about an improved quality of life for the people of Iraq are simply excuses to make the war against Iraq look like a wise decision.
http://runbart.blogspot.com/
Napa Valley Marathon - 3:06:39

Tags: