Author Topic: A great link -  (Read 12928 times)

Offline Ed 1

A great link -
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2004, 07:52:34 AM »
The world has made it the American job to do all of the protecting so on and so forth.  When we don't get involved the international community gets angry calls us greedy etc.... Then when we get involved they say we are terrorists and occupiers.  I think that we should finish the job in Iraq, get Osama and then pull all military forces from all countries.  We should close all of our bases world wide - and tell the world they are on their own.  We should also withdraw from the UN since they will never back anything they say and take our 80% funding with us.  These billions could be spent here to fix our problems.  

For less than a billion we could house all of the homeless.
Last (first) Marathon Lakefront (2003) in Milwaukee WI 3:35:34, 1/2 mary PB 1:28:17
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Praying for the chance (schedule wise) next year to work for a sub three.

Offline Bart

A great link -
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2004, 12:03:15 PM »
Quote from: "Ed 1"
The world has made it the American job to do all of the protecting so on and so forth.  When we don't get involved the international community gets angry calls us greedy etc....

There's a difference between getting involved and mounting an armed invasion.  War should always be the very last resort.  I don't think it was in this case.

I think that we should finish the job in Iraq, get Osama and then pull all military forces from all countries. We should close all of our bases world wide - and tell the world they are on their own. We should also withdraw from the UN since they will never back anything they say and take our 80% funding with us. These billions could be spent here to fix our problems.

I don't think pulling all of our troops back to America would be a wise move. The end of the cold war with the USSR, East Germany, etc., lessened the need for a large a military presence in Europe.  However, maintaining troops in places like Turkey and South Korea does provide us with a tactical advantage against potential aggresors.
http://runbart.blogspot.com/
Napa Valley Marathon - 3:06:39

Offline Ed 1

A great link -
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »
I agree on the involvement versus invasion but we were involved for 12 years already - how much longer should we have continued that way - one or two generations?  There was no easy answer for that situation.  I think it best that Sadam is gone - now we must speed the process to their full independance.  The insurgency will worsen - the terrorists see Iraq as the last stand against the US - if we win there - we win overall.  

The tactical advantage is only about 12 hours or less in time.  We can get any where in less than 24 hours are there other advantages I do not know about.  Plus the South Koreans are starting a movement to want America out.  We should go ahead and do that.  Stay out of their business - if they go communist - then snactions can jump in place of our military.  My brother served two years in Korea - they have no positive regard for us.  

I pray that we all stay safe for the next 37 days.  If we make it past the election day we should be ok.
Last (first) Marathon Lakefront (2003) in Milwaukee WI 3:35:34, 1/2 mary PB 1:28:17
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Offline Bart

A great link -
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2004, 02:53:09 PM »
I agree on the involvement versus invasion but we were involved for 12 years already - how much longer should we have continued that way - one or two generations?

I disagree.  The UN was involved.  It sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but our involvement as part of the UN was a big difference from where we are now.

The tactical advantage is only about 12 hours or less in time.  We can get any where in less than 24 hours are there other advantages I do not know about.  Plus the South Koreans are starting a movement to want America out.  We should go ahead and do that.  Stay out of their business - if they go communist - then snactions can jump in place of our military.  My brother served two years in Korea - they have no positive regard for us.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think there's a psychological advantage to having U.S. troops near potential hotspots.  It's a show of muscle.  Sort of a constant reminder of our strength.  Just like you're less likely to speed if there's a cop behind you, a country is less like to cross the line if it knows what's waiting for it.  The Cuban Missile Crises was an example of this theory.
http://runbart.blogspot.com/
Napa Valley Marathon - 3:06:39

Offline runnerdude

A great link -
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2004, 08:17:55 AM »
We can get any where in less than 24 hours are there other advantages I do not know about. Plus the South Koreans are starting a movement to want America out. We should go ahead and do that. Stay out of their business - if they go communist - then snactions can jump in place of our military. My brother served two years in Korea - they have no positive regard for us.

We CANNOT send entire armored divisions anywhere in the world in 24 hours. In addition, bases in other countries give the military the logistical framework (food, gasoline, hospitals, clothing, bullets, etc...) to carry out military operations.

Did your brother conduct some scientific surveys of South Korean public opinion? I'm not sorry to tell you I'm not convinced by such anecdotal "evidence."

Offline Ed 1

A great link -
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2004, 08:51:08 AM »
No scientific data just that soldiers get jumped and beaten up all the time over there.  Plus I have seen PBS shows that have shown demonstrations against the US military presence by the younger generations - the college aged more specifically.  There were interviews with the older generations that remember communism and the war and made statements to the effect that the younger generation just does not understand.  

Also, we have not sent entire armored divisions anywhere since WWII - the first gulf war even with our bases over seas was made up of more State side units than anything else and took many months to build up.  It was at least six months of Desert Shield before the Storm.  

While I was in the Army in Germany - the majority of people (away from military bases) wanted American soldiers to go back to the US.  Political leaders knew that if that happened there would be great economic hits to their economy if that did take place.  

I do not think we should have a military presence around the world - there should be a NATO presence around the world.
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Offline runnerdude

A great link -
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2004, 11:43:09 AM »
the first gulf war even with our bases over seas was made up of more State side units than anything else and took many months to build up. It was at least six months of Desert Shield before the Storm.

well, that's what I'm saying - it takes longer than 24 hours to mobilize & send heavy infantry & armor.

I do not think we should have a military presence around the world - there should be a NATO presence around the world.

we are part of NATO.

No scientific data just that soldiers get jumped and beaten up all the time over there. Plus I have seen PBS shows that have shown demonstrations against the US military presence by the younger generations

Fair enough. Still, there is a problem with getting out of South Korea and that is that South Korea has become an increasingly important trading partner, investor and creditor of the US and US companies. If we pull out and they get invaded by North Korea, things could get a little ugly for us.

Offline Ed 1

A great link -
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2004, 01:27:53 PM »
It is scary how much these small and somewhat pathetic (not in the common use of the term) countries need us and we need them.  It truly is a small world - if our country cannot get past the current polarization I fear that the rest of the world will have more and more problems - not just us.
Next Up - Jingle Bell.  

Tags: