Author Topic: Should P Diddy have been USATF athlete of the week?  (Read 7077 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Should P Diddy have been USATF athlete of the week?
« on: November 13, 2003, 04:46:22 PM »
I have a feeling I know how this will play out but what the heck...

Offline Jason

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 04:52:02 PM »
I think it is a low blow to the runners that actually train hard day after day.  Then someone that is over two hours behind you gets this award because they can raise a bunch of money.  Sure it was a great thing he did but no the right how to show there appreciation.
Listen to what everybody has to say, but don't hear what everyone has to say.

Anonymous

p-diddy
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 08:40:02 AM »
Yes, athlete of the week is appropriate.  No one wants to give him credit but he did Train for it, so it was eight weeks.  Some are guilty of trying to taper for eight weeks and have crashed worse.  He raised money and the profile of marathoning in one week.  Ask yourself what have you done for the sport of running lately.  Obvious to me is this is no coach potato, do you realize how much hip hopping this guy probably does.  Future marathoners and fast ones too, may be todays couch potatoes.  If this gets them out there trying that's step one.  I loved his quote too in People magazine that it was the most painful expereince of his life for those who are worried he's caausing disillusionment.   For the week he raised the flag, congrats to P-diddy, his run on 8 weeks of training was in the ballpark and I doubt he was dogging it.  If I can gofrom fat to sub 3 in a few months, 4:15 or so would be a training run in a very short time.  PS  I don't know how to vote yet on this new site, but I'm a big yes.   PSKI

Offline Tyrone

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 11:40:53 AM »
Something tells me he has been running, just not training for marathon, for a long time.  Most people who are as big as Pdiddy are very fit, at least fit enough to look really good, and to get this good looking, they run, they also do other things, but most of them run, im assuming he is one who has maybe been a jogger for many years, so training for real for 8 weeks would be good enough for him to do alright.  He probably could have finished one before he trained.  That's my guess.

So, if the average joe goes out and trains hard for 8 weeks, then runs a marathon, he/she will be disappointed most likely.. if not inujured!

Sure it got running in the headlines, but personally I don't want my sport to only be in the headlines when someone that is famous in another area does it once.

Athlete of the week should be reserved for someone who trains hard day in and day out, someone who loves running so much that they have it as there main focus.

However, I do think he should have gotten some sort of thanks, a medal, or something of that sort, for raising lots of money.. not for running fast... or being an exceptional Athlete

LLL

I agree
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 03:02:26 PM »
Tyrone,
You hit it right on the head.  I don't think P Diddy should have gotten Athlete of the Week.
I agree with all your points.
Laura

Run til it feels good

Re: I agree
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 03:07:00 PM »
[ :D

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
OK, here's the thing
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 09:37:55 PM »
First off, I don't believe he went from zero to marathon in 8 weeks. I heard a report that he was photographed running in June. I have a feeling he was running for quite some time, whether he was marathon training or not.

Second, I do think he deserves credit for raising the money. Of course, $2 million is pocket change for him, McDonalds, and Nike.

As for athlete of the week, the key word is ATHLETE! P Diddy proved he was a good fundraiser. He did not prove that he deserves any athlete of the week consideration. I admit, I'm quite unimpressed with all American performances there but Sylvia Mosqueda deserved the distinction as athlete of the week over P Diddy. Even Matt Downin, with his less than impressive 2:18, earned it over P Diddy. If the distinction was fundraiser of the week, he deserved. However, it is athlete of the week and he did not earn that.

Offline Tyrone

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 03:05:04 PM »
That's what i was getting at :D

Anonymous

we are all athletes,,,, george sheehan
    « Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 04:24:02 PM »
    We are all athletes, only some are training aand some are not.  ,,,George Sheehan.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
    • 2011 Walleye Run
      • Hillrunner.com
    Re: we are all athletes,,,, george sheehan
    « Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 08:52:04 PM »
    Quote from: "Anonymous"
    We are all athletes, only some are training aand some are not.  ,,,George Sheehan.

Quote Sheehan all you want. This is about athlete of the week. It's supposed to be about athletic achievements and P Diddy did not achieve athletically nearly as well as hundreds or even thousands of other American athletes.

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
    • 2011 Walleye Run
      • Hillrunner.com
    Quoting the USATF on the athlete of the week award
    « Reply #10 on: November 18, 2003, 04:13:34 PM »
    Now in its third year, USATF’s Athlete of the Week program is designed to recognize outstanding performers at all levels of the sport. USATF names a new honoree each week and features the athlete on the USATF website. Selections are based on top performances and results from the previous week.

Except for two weeks ago when it was a popularity/publicity contest.

Tags: