Author Topic: Was just looking over the Badgers c-c roster  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Was just looking over the Badgers c-c roster
« on: November 14, 2003, 07:49:57 AM »
I always thought of the Badgers as a team that really brought in talent from across the country and even across the world. Not that they don't. Josh Spiker is obviously an important part of the team and he's from Ventura, California. Tegenkamp is a key member of the team and he's from Lee's Summit, Missouri. I could go on. However, I was somewhat surprised to see the number of home staters on the roster. Out of a 19 man roster, 8 are from within the state. Not bad numbers for a team that has been consistently ranked #2 in the nation all year. Am I the only one who is slightly surprised by this? Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention to where the guys are from and just looking at the uniforms they are wearing.

Simon Bairu   5-8  So/So  Regina, Sasketchewan
Ryan Cole   5-9  Sr/Jr  Sanford, Mich.
Joe Eckerly   6-0  #Sr/Sr  Columbus, Ind.
Kyle Elsemore   5-11  So/Fr  Hurley, Wisconsin
Ben Gregory   6-1  Jr/So  Racine, Wis.
Drew Hohensee *  5-10  #Sr/Sr  Wausau, Wis.

Sam Jackson   5-7  #Sr/Sr  Kingwood, Texas
Tim Keller   5-9  Sr/Jr  West Chicago, Ill.
Tim Lacy   6-2  Fr/Fr  McFarland, Wis.
Bobby Lockhart   5-8  So/So  Winchester, Virginia
Tim Nelson   5-8  Fr/Fr  Palo Cedro, Calif.
Teddy O'Reilly   6-1  Fr/Fr  Anchorage, Alaska
Ben Porter   5-10  Fr/Fr  East Troy, Wis.
Codie See   5-11  So/Fr  Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Chris Solinsky   6-1  Fr/Fr  Stevens Point, Wis.

Josh Spiker   5-9  Sr/Jr  Ventura, Calif.
Colin Steele   5-11  Sr/Jr  Bronxville, N.Y.
Matt Tegenkamp   6-0  Sr/Jr  Lee's Summit, Mo.
Zachary Vircks   5-11  Fr/Fr  Stevens Point, Wis.

Offline Zeke

Bucky
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 08:00:16 AM »
Yeah, but how many of those in-state guys are receiving scholarships and how many run on varsity?  I recognize Hohensee and Solinsky and maybe Gregory from race results, but that's about it.  Nice to see northern WI represented with Elsemore from Hurley.

It sounds like Tegenkamp is done for the year.  That really bites, hopefully he can red-shirt if he hasn't already.  But look at the number of underclassmen on their roster.  They'll be tough for a few years.

Anyone else heading to D1 nationals on Monday, 11/24?  I'll be there with my Bucky shirt on (probably under my winter coat).
"It doesn't get easier.  You just go faster." - Greg LeMond

Zeke

http://cnaustin.blogspot.com/

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Very true
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 08:54:23 AM »
Of course, two of the three you recognized are the only two non-freshmen, elgibility wise at least, in the list. The third is of course a Foot Locker champion and should be expected to contribute right away.

I wonder how many of those freshmen from Wisconsin will be around in a few years and how many of those names you and I will recognize from results at that time. I guess that's part of the equation, also. Who is there to contribute and who is along for the ride?

They do have a quite young team. I see three seniors on the team and four juniors. Hopefully, that is a good sign for the future.

I don't think Tegenkamp has the option of getting a hardship. He's already used his redshirt. At least he still has one more season of elgibility left.

I would love to get over there for the meet but think I'm going to be stuck at work trying to find results online.

Offline Jason

Was just looking over the Badgers c-c roster
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 08:55:11 AM »
It is intersest to look at there roster and see 3-4 guys that I used to race against on a regular basis back in high school.  It good to see the small town northerners running at the UW.
Listen to what everybody has to say, but don't hear what everyone has to say.

Offline magpie

Re: Bucky
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 08:18:46 PM »
Quote from: "Zeke"
Yeah, but how many of those in-state guys are receiving scholarships and how many run on varsity?

exactly.

also, i believe that tegenkamp redshirted his freshman year; his eligibility listing would seem to confirm that - his bio on the u.w. site does.  he could still appeal to the ncaa for a medical redshirt, but no guarantees with that.

Tags: