Author Topic: Training Program  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Aaron

Training Program
« on: February 09, 2007, 12:40:56 PM »
I will be starting an 18 week training program for Grandma's next week which peaks at a little over 70 miles.   I have been running 55-60 mpw and the first 5 weeks of the program drop down to 40-45 mpw which include tempo runs and whatnot.  My question is, should I continue with similar mileage as my training becomes a bit more intense or would it be beneficial to drop my mileage 70-75% during the first few weeks as prescribed.  I understand that is is just a guide and that my body will tell what I can handle, but I've never really followed a structured program and was wondering if it is typical that the initial stages of training are much below the base mileage. 

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: Training Program
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »
Actually, I think some of those programs assume you're coming in underprepared. My suggestion would be to stay ahead of the curve as long as your body is able to handle it. If you have to cut back some because your body can't handle the added elements of the program, then cut back as necessary. However, don't reduce your training just because someone who wrote a cookie cutter schedule expected people who were following it to begin less prepared than you are.

In short, you're ahead of the curve. Take advantage of that fact by staying ahead of the curve for as long as your body allows.

Tags: