Author Topic: running on the beach  (Read 2323 times)

Offline alexb89xc

running on the beach
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:01:03 AM »
I mentioned earlier that I ran on the beach yesterday, I only ran 2.5 miles but it felt like a million when I was done. My calves were killing me and today I can barely walk, how good is it to run on the beach, I know its harder, but is it better for your muscles? does it push them more?

Offline r-at-work

Re: running on the beach
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »
from what I've read the change to such a 'soft' and usually canted surface can create serious issues is you jump into lots of miles too quickly... especially if it's barefoot running... anecdotally, I messed up my right foot  (plantar fascia) playing in the surf (not running, and barefoot) and it took about six months to get past that...another person in our group that year (HS girl) ended up with a stress fracture running 'down the beach' and back..

but you might be luckier...
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves..." Sir Roger Bannister

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
Rita is right. Any big change is a lot for the body to absorb, this is no different.

A few things to think about:

- The soft surface (depending on how soft the sand on the beach is) will make you work a lot harder, especially the feet and calf muscles. It doesn't seem like a surprise at all that your calf muscles would be feeling it.
- That harder work can be beneficial in moderation as a way to build some strength but can also be detrimental if you overdo things, causing prolonged soreness or injury.
- Also keep in mind that beaches are sloped (something has to hold the water in). This can mess with your form and cause problems. Making sure you run both directions can help but too much running at a slope can cause problems.

I'd suggest trying to get a pair of shoes so you can stick with running you're more familiar with and only use beach running sparingly and very carefully. Beach running can be great strength training but also keep in mind that the added strength training will likely come at the cost of aerobic conditioning.

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Sisu Running
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:12:44 PM »
I do not care for or see much use in running on the beach, except perhaps for strides or dune sprints.
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Tags: