Author Topic: loss weight via diets  (Read 14850 times)

Offline cesar

loss weight via diets
« on: November 22, 2008, 10:38:16 AM »
hey everyone,

what are your thoughts about weight loss , but with diets or pills?? do you think that exercise is best to lose weight?

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Re: loss weight via diets
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »
Unless there is a medical reason, exercise and a balanced diet with portion control is the best way to lose weight. Pills should only be used as a last resort and should be used under the guidance of a doctor.

Offline cesar

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:46:59 AM »
how do you know that you are eating controlled portions?

out of curiosity, do you drink sodas( cocacola, sprite, pepsi)?? do you eat ice creams?

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:30:08 AM »
You eat controlled portions by making sure you only eat until your appetite is satisfied, not until you are "stuffed" which is how most people eat.

Personally, I only drink about 1-2 sodas per month at most. I'm not against drinking more but you do have to be careful. If you drink them frequently, take a close look at how many calories you take in when drinking them. The problem with sodas is that you get a lot of calories from them without getting the feeling of "filling up". I also eat ice cream pretty infrequently but it is also something that can be enjoyed in moderation.

Offline cesar

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:54:54 AM »
so what kind of food do you eat frecuently?

Offline Ryan

• Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
Fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean meats. That would make up the majority of my diet. Of course, I less frequently eat almost anything but I follow the golden rule of moderation.

Offline Ed

• 4 Consistent months and Counting!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:36:21 AM »
This has been mentioned elswhere on this forum but to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in. 

Read your food lables and measure what you are going to put on your plate to eat.  There are a couple of websites that can give you estimates of the calories you burn doing various activities.

Total the calories that you burn on average and then eat less total calories on average than you burn.  To stay healthy stick to the basics that Ryan eats.
Next Goal Race - Al's Run

Offline r-at-work

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
... to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in. 

Read your food lables and measure what you are going to put on your plate to eat..

two interesting concepts... more factual would be that you must burn more calories than you ABSORB... one reason that some 'diets' work well for some people is that there is a certain percentage of the population that does not absorb some foods/food groups...this is another reason that high fiber diets work, the first being you 'feel full' and tend not to over eat. But if you are less inclined to absorb certain foods, say citrus (just as an example) then the "grapefruit diet" would work really well for you as your body would treat the grapefruit as additional fiber, not a nutrient.

food labels & measurements are very important as few people have any idea what "one serving" actually means or that lots of packaged foods are infact multiple servings... they look at the 'total calories' see the number 55 and they inhale the whole package but miss the part that says the package is six servings!!

luckily most younger people (but not all) have metabolisms that help burn off enough calories that they don't have to worry...as you age your metabolism MAY shift.. mine did significantly after I turned 40!
-Rita
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves..." Sir Roger Bannister

Offline cesar

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »
Rita, have you kept your weight since your metabolism shifted at age of 40?

Offline r-at-work

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 07:10:28 AM »
Rita, have you kept your weight since your metabolism shifted at age of 40?

yep, but it took boosting miles & watching what I ate MUCH more seriously... luckily I had decided to boost the mileage anyway so it worked out really well for me... but I'll never see 105 again (college weight) unless I get seriously ill
"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves..." Sir Roger Bannister

Offline cesar

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 08:28:27 AM »
out of curiosity , what is your weight  now?

Offline GTF

• Kahuna
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Sisu Running
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 04:57:54 PM »
Mind your manners.
Do not support those who give a bad name to running, boycott all Devine Racing events: Marathon of Palm Beaches, New Jersey Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, & Salt Lake City Marathon.

Offline r-at-work

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 06:44:50 AM »
Mind your manners.

chivalry is not dead, thanks GTF... I'm rather unusual in that I am not adverse to talking about my age or my weight... I'm 54, but my weight is not just a number... just prior to my BQ (11-06) I was at 118... after Boston (while injured and not running) I got up to 135... last summer I was down to below 125 but with the holidays (too much good food and not enough miles because I spent too much time with errands) I'm pushing 130 on some days... but I'm not too worried as I know that as my miles go back up when the weather warms I'll get back closer to 120... though I'm not ever totally stable, my weight really depends on what I've eaten (salty, high carb), how much I've run the past week and what time of the month it is (I know TMI)...

for me running seems to not only burn more calories but dampen my appetite... except for Christmas cookies,but now that they are gone I'll get on with it... and as I am the only driver in the house I tend to get bogged down in 'life' very easily, so I tend to cut myself some slack and not get too worked up if everything (like diet) isn't perfect... everything in moderation, including moderation.
-Rita

Offline cesar

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 09:16:17 AM »
excuse me, i didn't want to be inpolite, i just wanted to know how much weight you get as your metabolism shift , i  dont want to get fat when i turn 40-50 years old.

Offline r-at-work

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »
no problem... read this and maybe re-think how important diet is...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090106/sc_livescience/studyexercisewontcureobesity

People burn more calories when they exercise. Thing is, they compensate by eating more, said Richard Cooper, co-author of the study and chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine and Epidemiology.

"We would love to say that physical activity has a positive effect on weight control, but that does not appear to be the case," Cooper said.

Diet differences

Diet is a more likely explanation than physical activity expenditure for why Chicago women weigh more than Nigerian women, Luke said. She noted the Nigerian diet is high in fiber and carbohydrates and low in fat and animal protein. By contrast, the Chicago diet is 40 percent to 45 percent fat and high in processed foods.

more salad, fewer cheeseburgers!... personally I think it's a life-style choice...
-Rita

Tags: