Author Topic: Heat Shuts Down Madison Marathon Early  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
Heat Shuts Down Madison Marathon Early
« on: May 31, 2010, 06:59:58 AM »
Heat Shuts Down Madison Marathon Early

Didn't something similar happen just a few years ago, also? If the heat is such a concern for this marathon, maybe it's time for them to change their schedule. We know late May can be hot in southern Wisconsin. Either they warn runners and let runners deal with the consequences, as do other warm weather marathons, or maybe they should move it to an earlier time frame.

Offline Double

Re: Heat Shuts Down Madison Marathon Early
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 05:30:09 PM »
Incredible...and peope actually had the ability to heat train this year.  Though I'm sure the percent who did was under 1%.  I will be running the Kettle Moraine 100 mile this coming Saturday.  If it's hot, like it always is, you simply slow down and take care of yourself.  I mean, I want to understand why they took precautions, but if I was out there and this happened I'd cross it of the list. 
"What are you training for?" "For life."  (Barry Duncan)
"What race are you running?" "The human race." (Clement Grum)

Offline DoppleBock

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »
It seems that the Sunday before Memorial day Hades moves to Madison each year.

Double - Have a great race

I will be at FANS24 volunteering ... I was thinking of volunteering at FANS or KM ... but I owe a lot to FANS.

Offline Andrew A.

• NDCQ
  • It is simple, but not easy.
    • Distance Running Observer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:10:16 AM »
It should be moved to Saturday.  8)
Why dink around? Go for it, be the best. It is worth whatever risk there is even if you fall short. You will be better.
‎"There is no such thing as an overachiever. We are all underachievers to varying degrees." - John Wooden.

Offline DoppleBock

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:47:18 AM »
Green Bay used to be run in early June, but it was hot too often, so they moved it to the 3rd Sunday in May - Generally Green Bay has great weather.  Two weeks or sometimes one week later, Madison seems to have horrible weather (on average) - This is the reason I stopped running Grandma's Marathon.

Double - I hope you stay dry this weekend.

Offline Ryan

• Just another crazy runner
  • Administrator
  • 2011 Walleye Run
    • Hillrunner.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »
As you know, that's May in Wisconsin. The weather changes rapidly and, for the marathoner, usually not in a positive direction. Madison could jump up to the weekend before Green Bay and be no bigger of a conflict with Green Bay than it is now while, on average, getting more reasonable weather.

At the very least, if they are going to cancel the thing mid-race again, they should have a good plan in place. From what I have been hearing, apparently they didn't use 2006 as a learning experience and the cancellation was not well organized.

Offline DoppleBock

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
The weekend before are the 2 small marathons of Eagle River and Lake Geneva, both on Saturday.  I would actually love to see them move it to that weekend.  That would set up a person to run 2 WI marathons the 1st and 2nd weekend in May.  4 marathons in 9 days would be fun.  I would agree that it is a "Shame on them" for not having a great exit plan for closing the course.